The Linusbook™ Dell XPS 12 notebook 1920x1080 IPS, 128GB SSD, i5-4200U 699$ instead of 1100$ Microcenter [US]

hawaiims

kSQJVpS.png

This is the "Linusbook", the one that you see Linus using on the WAN show all the time. He seems to quite enjoy this laptop from what I've heard throughout the shows. 

Price is absolutely amazing for a nice ultrabook like this. I've seen similar prices but they were either non-convertible laptops with lower res screens or they didn't have haswell and a long battery life. 

For 699$ this is a no brainer. Unfortunately the deal is in store only at microcenter. Great for students and people who just want a portable laptop that's still really powerful for regular day to day use. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Wow, merica so lucky.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Meanwhile.here it's almost $1900($100 discount,so it's actually $2000),and it's 1 GEN OLDER(Ivy)!Not fucking fair.
f38dgi.jpg

Can someone explain to me how this is even possible?I mean,from 700 to 1900 is like..what?2.75x the price!

How does 20% VAT explain a +175% price increase?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I might live in the US, but I don't have a microcenter anywhere near me :/ so its like not even living in the US when it comes to stuff like this.

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

that one is for people who live close to a microcenter because it says in store pick up only.......only if i had 700 dollars

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

My manager asked me to find him a decent laptop. I might point him towards Microcenter for this, but that's an hour drive away for us both.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Meanwhile.here it's almost $1900($100 discount,so it's actually $2000),and it's 1 GEN OLDER(Ivy)!Not fucking fair.

f38dgi.jpg

Can someone explain to me how this is even possible?I mean,from 700 to 1900 is like..what?2.75x the price!

How does 20% VAT explain a +175% price increase?

EU vendors are stupid. Everything is expensive in lithuania too. You should count prices 1:1 to eur so 1100$ to 1100eur in eu and then add some more for your romanian seller.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Full HD 12.5" screen ???? Wow, ok...

Mon pauvre, tu dois acheter tes produits a un endroit comme DARTY ou la Fnac qui est hyper overpriced compare au States. 

Franchement achete toi un ticket pas cher pour les States et va faire plein de shopping!

Mon pauvre, tu dois acheter tes produits a un endroit comme DARTY ou la Fnac qui est hyper overpriced compare au States. 

Franchement achete toi un ticket pas cher pour les States et va faire plein de shopping!

Haha si seulement, mais ça va j'habite tout prêt de l’Allemagne et tout est donné la bas aussi :D

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

Haha si seulement, mais ça va j'habite tout prêt de l’Allemagne et tout est donné la bas aussi :D

vraiment? Je n'avais aucune idee que les produits etaient moins cher en Allemagne. 

vraiment? Je n'avais aucune idee que les produits etaient moins cher en Allemagne. 

J'ai them skillz de francais.

All the text will be this small

unless you put the laptop screen closer to your face. Or you could just change the dpi scaling. 

Not trying to be offensive or something but why is it that French people always have to talk in their native language when there is one freaking other person that also speaks but the rest doesn't or just barely. Also, I think Linus' laptop is higher specced but it still is a nice laptop, certainly for the price.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

Touche. 12.5 inch screen and 1080p still are not naturally the best option, though. 

would you rather have 12.5" and ~720p (1366x768)? Didn't think so.

I have never seen 1080 on a 12.5" but I have seen it on 13.3 inches and while text is small at that size it's easily readable for the distance you have laptop screens at from your eyes (smaller distance than regular desktop monitors) 

Not trying to be offensive or something but why is it that French people always have to talk in their native language when there is one freaking other person that also speaks but the rest doesn't or just barely. Also, I think Linus' laptop is higher specced but it still is a nice laptop, certainly for the price.

First of all I'm not French, I'm Swiss (but from the French speaking region)

Also, speaking in your native language when someone else speaks the same language has nothing to do with "French people". You regularly see Swedes, Danes etc.. on LTT that start conversing to each other in their own language. I don't know why you think French people do it more often because it's not the case at all. 

It's pretty natural for any human to gravitate towards their own "kind" whether that is culturally, linguistically or interest driven. Most foreigners who go live abroad end up making a lot of friends who are also in the same condition as them for that same reason. 

First of all I'm not French, I'm Swiss (but from the French speaking region)

Also, speaking in your native language when someone else speaks the same language has nothing to do with "French people". You regularly see Swedes, Danes etc.. on LTT that start conversing to each other in their own language. I don't know why you think French people do it more often because it's not the case at all. 

It's pretty natural for any human to gravitate towards their own "kind" whether that is culturally, linguistically or interest driven. Most foreigners who go live abroad end up making a lot of friends who are also in the same condition as them for that same reason. 

Yeah you're right, I guess the French language stands out to me or something. I'm from the Netherlands and am used to speaking or at least understanding the language of the country I'm in, because everybody seems to expect Dutch tourists to understand their language without them doing so the other way around.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

Not trying to be offensive or something but why is it that French people always have to talk in their native language when there is one freaking other person that also speaks but the rest doesn't or just barely.

English speakers aren't the only people in the world, I hope you know that.

Hands are perfect cupholders.

English speakers aren't the only people in the world, I hope you know that.

This is an English speaking forum though. 

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Oh. I thought there was a Linus themed ultrabook.

DELL MAKE IT HAPPEN!! :P

I was hoping that was the case even though I knew it wasn't before I even clicked the link.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

Oh. I thought there was a Linus themed ultrabook.

DELL MAKE IT HAPPEN!! :P

I'll let them know.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I'll let them know.

You work at dell? Cool.

Would you mind if I asked what position you have there?