Microsoft settles a Canadian Class Action lawsuit for Dell computers purchased from 1998 onward

WillyW

Summary

Microsoft has settled a class action lawsuit with a total payout of $517M, with $400M going to consumers. To date 100K people have filed claims.

Consumers who purchased:

- Microsoft OS, and

- Microsoft Office suite,

- Dell computer is mentioned but it is not a requirement (the way the CBC article initially mentioned it it was misleading)

Between: Dec. 23, 1998 and March 11, 2010.

Can make a claim.

This follows from similar issues that occurred in the US with DOJ.

The documentation requirements for these claims will be mostly just a sworn statement as it is unlikely users will have all the documentation necessary.

You have until Sept. 23, 2021 to file a claim.

Quotes

The class-action lawsuit alleged that Microsoft and Microsoft Canada were involved in a conspiracy to illegally increase prices for the company's products. Microsoft agreed to the settlement but denies any wrongdoing and has not admitted liability. The settlement in Canada has been a long time coming: The first documents in the case were filed in British Columbia in 2005. The class action was also filed in Ontario and Quebec, but the court in B.C. took the lead. The settlement was approved in the B.C. Supreme Court in 2018, and courts in the other provinces also issued their approval. It applies to people in all provinces and territories.

My thoughts

This is mostly for tech people in Canada, also LMG staff as this applies to only Canadians. But it is noteworthy that the claim period goes back to 1998, as many of the viewers of this 'channel' were probably born around this period.

Sources

CBC Article

I filed a claim - the process was fairly easy. Most people won't have documentation for purchases even as far back as 2010, so they took that into consideration with the claims process.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Cool but when will people after 2010 get their claims?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Just now, williamcll said:

Cool but when will people after 2010 get their claims?

What do you mean by this?

You mean people who made purchases after 2010?

After they sue Microsoft and create a class action settlement that proves Microsoft still engaged in the behaviour after 2010.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, WillyW said:

My thoughts

This is mostly for tech people in Canada, also LMG staff as this applies to only Canadians. But it is noteworthy that the claim period goes back to 1998, as many of the viewers of this 'channel' were probably born around this period.

Sources

CBC Article

I've never personally owned a Dell machine. I've worked on them. It also needs to be stated that Dell machines were rarely in stores, you had to order them directly from Dell over the phone, and later the internet.

4 minutes ago, Kisai said:

I've never personally owned a Dell machine. I've worked on them. It also needs to be stated that Dell machines were rarely in stores, you had to order them directly from Dell over the phone, and later the internet.

I don't think that disqualifies someone from making a claim. I didn't see anything in the claim that noted it had to be purchased from a physical store.

Plus plenty of independent PC shops carried stuff like Dell's - as did the occasional big box store.

45 minutes ago, Kisai said:

You don't even need to have bought a dell computer to be part of the class.

@WillyWYou probably should update OP, no where does it say you need a dell computer on the settlement site. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

17 minutes ago, Blade of Grass said:

You don't even need to have bought a dell computer to be part of the class.

@WillyWYou probably should update OP, no where does it say you need a dell computer on the settlement site. 

Indeed, it didn't ask me about Dells at all.

People with MS-DOS and Windows operating systems can claim $13. Those with the Microsoft Office productivity suite are eligible for $8, while consumers with Excel, Word and applications other than Office can claim $6.50.

While the dollar amounts are small, it's possible people purchased multiple computers over the time period covered by the settlement. Consumers can file a separate claim for each of the software applications on each desktop or laptop that used eligible Microsoft products.

can't wait for 21 dollars