Should I pay 269.99 for the i7 8700k?

↓  This is my PC.  ↓

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i9-9900K (Standard Folding Box) 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $409.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X Dual Fan 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler Purchased For $44.99
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Purchased For $130.00
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory Purchased For $75.00
Storage Inland Professional 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $17.87
Storage Hitachi Ultrastar 7K4000 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  
Case Cougar MX330-G ATX Mid Tower Case $44.99
Power Supply EVGA 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply Purchased For $49.99
Optical Drive LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer Purchased For $17.99
Mouse Redragon M602 Wired Optical Mouse Purchased For $0.00
Custom 320gb hard drive (owned) Purchased For $0.00
Custom NPET K10 RGB Gaming Keyboard Purchased
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $790.82
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-15 13:59 EST-0500  

8 minutes ago, 2plash6 said:

Virtualbox VM within a VMWare VM

Both software are terrible and slow. Use ProxMox with VM's on it instead

Also if you want a VM with a VM inside it, I don't think a 9900k will do it, you will need a server at that point as you will want at least 6 cores per VM (both software's are laggy, I would still recommend creating VMs in proxmox, with a £300 server, you could create around 4 - 8 decent VM's with that)

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

7 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Then 16GB will do. Otherwise if your going crazy with them, 32GB. You won't know until you try. 

I will be running a VMWare workstation VM(Takes up a lot of RAM on host) with a vbox vm inside the VMWare VM. I will also be using a mining software my friend told me about called salad.io.

I have a YT channel where I post malware running on VMs. I currently use my home laptop(the machine I am using to write this) to make my videos, and once I was using VMWare while editing a video with Filmora, and joining a video call all at once, and it was all lagging horribly, and I got a BSOD.

This laptop has 8gb.

If you are doing productivity more then gaming it is better to get either :

• a used server (cheap but weird)
  • an old threadripper (a bit more expensive then a used server but higher single threaded performance and better for gaming too(compared to a Xeon E5-xxxx))

You can also do GPU passthrough in ProxMox if you want more of a "real" feeling, and use a KVM switch to switch monitors.

Which version of VMware are you looking at using ?

Just now, RTX 3090 said:

If you are doing productivity more then gaming it is better to get either :

• a used server (cheap but weird)
  • an old threadripper (a bit more expensive then a used server but higher single threaded performance and better for gaming too(compared to a Xeon E5-xxxx))

Just know that I am not working for a business or anything. 😶 This is for personal use.

I am also going to play games like PvZ,  Minecraft, KARLSSON, and Crysis if I get it for free with a NewEgg bundle.

1 minute ago, RTX 3090 said:

Which version of VMware are you looking at using ?

VMWare workstation 6 I believe.

Just now, 2plash6 said:

Just know that I am not working for a business or anything. 😶 This is for personal use.

I am also going to play games like PvZ,  Minecraft, KARLSSON, and Crysis if I get it for free with a NewEgg bundle.

For gaming an i9-9900k is much much better then a old Xeon server, but the extra cores come in handy or VM's

A threadripper would be a compromise between them both, and the extra cores ar useful for productivity and it has decent single threaded workloads too

Just now, 2plash6 said:

VMWare workstation 6 I believe.

It's the latest version of VMWare workstation.

5 minutes ago, RTX 3090 said:

For gaming an i9-9900k is much much better then a old Xeon server, but the extra cores come in handy or VM's

A threadripper would be a compromise between them both, and the extra cores ar useful for productivity and it has decent single threaded workloads too

Ok. So a threadripper is the best option here, but I am limited to an lga1151 CPU, because I bought all of the components, and it is partially built. So the i9-9900k would probably be the best option here, and just know that I will probably not be running games inside VMs, or VMs and games at the same time. I might, but probably not. I actually think that the 9900k clocked @ 4.5ghz+ will crush this. Thanks for the info though.

Just now, 2plash6 said:

Ok. So a threadripper is the best option here, but I am limited to an lga1151 CPU, because I bought all of the components, and it is partially built. So the i9-9900k would probably be the best option here, and just know that I will probably not be running games inside VMs, or VMs and games at the same time. I might, but probably not. I actually think that the 9900k clocked @ 4.5ghz+ will crush this.

Did you buy the components from Amazon ? If so you might be able to return it but it will cost you for postage (you will probably lose around 5 bucks per part)

What are you using the VM's for, if it is just to play around with it will be fine, but if you for example want to run Windows on it and use it like a normal PC, there will be quite a bit of lag with VMware

8 minutes ago, RTX 3090 said:

What are you using the VM's for, if it is just to play around with it will be fine, but if you for example want to run Windows on it and use it like a normal PC, there will be quite a bit of lag with VMware

I am just playing around with malware on my YT channel.

And the reason I want to run a VM within a VM, with VPNs, and antiviruses is because I want to access the dark web safely.

I have never accessed it before, but it sounds cool.

I also want to run CSGO maybe, Minecraft, Plants VS Zombies, KARLSON, And try out Crysis if I get the bundle.

But I am definitely not returning all my parts.

12 minutes ago, RTX 3090 said:

Don't do it, not worth the risks

Ok. I won't, just in case I regret something. I just heard about it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2021 at 12:10 PM, xg32 said:

for those prices id go for the 9700k or the 9900k

On 1/15/2021 at 12:37 PM, SpiderMan said:

Get the extra cores for VMs. There is no reason to get a non-hyperthreaded 9th gen processor in today's age, unless its a office PC or for grandparents. 

On 1/15/2021 at 12:54 PM, SpiderMan said:

Still a 9900K, but probably 32GB of RAM depending on how many VMs your doing. 

On 12/15/2020 at 8:29 AM, jwwagner25 said:

and you're okay with only six threads, for however long you plan to wait for the next upgrade?

On 12/15/2020 at 8:50 AM, Mick Naughty said:

Not sure why it would come with a warranty. Nor should you be looking for one with used products, especially a cpu in this case. 

@RTX 3090

Ok, everyone, I have a question.

So the 9900K (from NewEgg) is ordering right now, and I have a question.

The 9900KF costs the same price, and it is also from NewEgg.

Is the 9900KF better than the 9900K?

If so, then should I cancel the shipping of the 9900K, and get the KF?

1 minute ago, 2plash6 said:

Ok, everyone, I have a question.

So the 9900K (from NewEgg) is ordering right now, and I have a question.

The 9900KF costs the same price, and it is also from NewEgg.

Is the 9900KF better than the 9900K?

If so, then should I cancel the shipping of the 9900K, and get the KF?

Just get the 9900K over the 9900KF. There is nothing different other than the K SKU will have iGPU, which may help troubleshooting in case your GPU dies. I believe a KF bin will show lower chances with silicon quality as Intel had to disable the iGPU of that chip. 

In short, keep your order with the 9900K. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

I want to get a 1650 Super once it comes back into stock. Currently, I have a Gt 710 which I will definitely upgrade someday soon.

It is 70% faster than the 1050Ti, and it can run Minecraft PVP at 1000 FPS which is awesome.