4000X type-c as thunderbolt?

Go to solution Solved by Jumballi,
12 minutes ago, Mahir Istehad said:

Sorry, I don't know much about it but why a thunderbolt header if add-in card uses PCIe interface? And is my case type-c useless?

TL;DR ASUS put a physical DRM header to force you to use their thunderbolt cards. 

I see you’re confused about thunderbolt vs USB-c, and lemme break it down for you. They’re 2 completely different ports with completely different requirements to run. Thunderbolt 3 lets you plug in USB-c(ports not headers), however USB-c doesn’t let you plug in thunderbolt at all.

Your Motherboard has USB headers that the case’s USB-c port would use to connect to, the shape of the USB port doesn’t change the fact that it’s just USB in the end.

Hello there, I am planning build with the Strix B550-F gaming board and was choosing a case. As the board had a thunderbolt header I am drawn to the 4000X or the Lancool II X (for availability, aesthetics and budget). I wanted to know if the header will be compatible at all or I am talking all nonsense(also any way to use it would be helpful). Thanks.

That motherboard doesn’t support thunderbolt outside of using a PCIe thunderbolt add-in card.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

2 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

That motherboard doesn’t support thunderbolt outside of using a PCIe thunderbolt add-in card.

Even those only work on certain boards

2 minutes ago, Mahir Istehad said:

https://www.asus.com/bd/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B550-F-GAMING/specifications/

Go down to internal IO. It says 1 x Thunderbolt header(s)

And I went further and read the manual, it doesn’t connect to any case, it only allows you to connect to specific PCIe add-in cards.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

2 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

And I went further and read the manual, it doesn’t connect to any case, it only allows you to connect to specific PCIe add-in cards.

Sorry, I don't know much about it but why a thunderbolt header if add-in card uses PCIe interface? And is my case type-c useless?

12 minutes ago, Mahir Istehad said:

TL;DR ASUS put a physical DRM header to force you to use their thunderbolt cards. 

I see you’re confused about thunderbolt vs USB-c, and lemme break it down for you. They’re 2 completely different ports with completely different requirements to run. Thunderbolt 3 lets you plug in USB-c(ports not headers), however USB-c doesn’t let you plug in thunderbolt at all.

Your Motherboard has USB headers that the case’s USB-c port would use to connect to, the shape of the USB port doesn’t change the fact that it’s just USB in the end.

3 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

You Motherboard has USB headers that the case’s USB-c port would use to connect to, the shape of the USB port doesn’t change the fact that it’s just USB in the end.

Oh, well then no thunderbolt for me. Thanks anyways.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2020 at 7:37 PM, Jumballi said:

so can i still use that header to connect my cases usb-c port and get it working as a normal usb? because i dont think the connectors match

On 1/4/2021 at 5:42 AM, Noamazia said:

so can i still use that header to connect my cases usb-c port and get it working as a normal usb? because i dont think the connectors match

It's a drm header, not a data header, but the motherboard should have a different port for the front connector.