Best Price to Performance 1440p Card?

I was wondering down the line, what would be the best card for price and performance for ULTRA 1440p gaming at 70HZ? (I'm thinking of upgrading in like 2 years tops so I don't mind waiting for prices to go down for the currently new RTX 3000 series for Nvidia and RX 6000 series for AMD)

The Graphics card I currently use is a GTX 1060 3GB, with a 1440p Monitor capped at 70HZ. Which works fine for me, since the games I play with friends at the moment are not demanding, so I don't need to upgrade as of right now. 

Games I play rn:League of Legends, Fall guys and Minecraft (with Shaders).

Although, I've got lot's of games in my Catalogue that are way more demanding, so and upgrade would benefit for better performance at ULTRA 1440p,

i.e. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Monster Hunter: World, GTA V, Payday 2, Subnautica and Abzu.

What cards would you guys recommend? Would the RTX 3070 be overkill, or does AMD have better price to performace for their cards? Are they future proof?

Probably the 3060Ti is what you're looking for.

But there is no way to tell what is future-proof and what is not.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

Probably the 3060Ti is what you're looking for.

Another question: Why cap at 70Hz? Why not use 144Hz when it's available? There are literally no drawbacks to using the higher refresh rate.

Oops, I meant that my monitor is capped at 70Hz overclocked. :P

Just now, bigboipascal said:

Oops, I meant that my monitor is capped at 70Hz overclocked. :P

Oh, maybe i misread or you already edited OP. Anyway 3060Ti should be what you're looking for.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

No such thing as future proofing, especially in the GPU world. Just think that a few months ago the 2080Ti was the fastest GPU and cost more than a thousand dollars. Now it’s equaled by 3060Ti costing half as much. 
In terms of VRAM, the 6800 is more ‘future proof’ than a 3070. I had both and sold the 3070 and kept the 6800. Not only because of the VRAM but also because RT (ray tracing) is just not good enough yet, especially on the lower end cards.

For 1440p 70 Hz, either card will work for you and should last at least 2-3 years. If you’re not bothered about RT and want more VRAM go with the 6800. If you think that RT is worth having then go for a 3070 or 3060Ti. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

Check out some CP2077 benchmark, especially with RTX On. I think that should be the most GPU demanding game within 5 years.