Are the ATH-M40X headphones a good choice?

Are the ATH-M40X headphones a good choice when compared to the somewhat more expensive ATH-M50x? Also after watching Logan's video on gaming audio I wonder if these will perform well for gaming, if the video was in fact correct about gaming audio. I know the ATH-M50x are an excellent pair of headphones but I feel like it's a little too expensive. Does somebody know more about the m40x's?

I don't believe there is very much of a difference. The only things that are different are price, obviously, on the M40x's there are only 40 mm drivers instead of 45 mm, the M50x's come with one more cable, so yeah. I would probably have to recommend the M40x's over the M50x's. 

audio-technica's really good at making a bunch of headphones that are pretty much the same thing and then splitting them up in a series. Only reason the previous M20/M30/M40 weren't really recommended was because they were even more uncomfortable than the M50, but now the design on the X series is nearly identical. I'd recommend going all the way down to the 20X if you don't need the "features" of the higher models.

Not really though, I just wanted an excuse to post this picture

post-2523-0-99599800-1395049043_thumb.jp

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

They are great headphones for the price and they preform really well all round, no matter what kind of music you listen to or games you play. The ATH-M40X is pretty much exactly the same as the ATH-M50s minus the detachable cable. If you don't need the detachable cable then you can save money by just buying the ATH-M50s

They are great headphones for the price and they preform really well all round, no matter what kind of music you listen to or games you play. The ATH-M40X is pretty much exactly the same as the ATH-M50s minus the detachable cable. If you don't need the detachable cable then you can save money by just buying the ATH-M50s

40X has the detachable cable, but doesn't have the same hinges.

30X doesn't have the detachable cable.

20X has no detachable cable and no hinges.

I would not go for any Audiotechnica product now that they aren't very good value wise. Do some research and find a better pair of headphones, some good examples are:

- Shure 440/840

- Vmoda Crossfade LP

- Berdynamic Custom One Pros

- Gradio Sr60i/80i

As I've always said for audio products, audio is subjective and buying a higher end audio product does not necessarily sound better just different. Try to test the product before you buy it and make sure that you have a decent sound amp and dac and that you are using 320kbps MP3s. The file quality does make a difference, I can guarantee that.

Not really though, I just wanted an excuse to post this picture

I just realised how similar the MDR-V6s are to the M50X in shape only after seeing this...

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue

I would not go for any Audiotechnica product now that they aren't very good value wise. Do some research and find a better pair of headphones, some good examples are:

- Shure 440/840

- Vmoda Crossfade LP

- Berdynamic Custom One Pros

- Gradio Sr60i/80i

As I've always said for audio products, audio is subjective and buying a higher end audio product does not necessarily sound better just different. Try to test the product before you buy it and make sure that you have a decent sound amp and dac and that you are using 320kbps MP3s. The file quality does make a difference, I can guarantee that.

I disagree with the first part of your statement. They are not a bad value. Granted they aren't the BEST value, but they are certainly not a bad value. 

Example of a Bad Value: Beats, Bose

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

I disagree with the first part of your statement. They are not a bad value. Granted they aren't the BEST value, but they are certainly not a bad value. 

Example of a Bad Value: Beats, Bose

Stating that Audiotechnica products aren't very good value wise does not imply that they are a bad value product. I don't recall stating that they are bad, just not good compared to their competition which is how one determines the value of a product, to compare it to something similar. By comparing it to the products that I've listed, it is a bad value as it is $170 here in Canada compared to $100 Shure 440 and Gradio Sr80i.

Stating that Audiotechnica products aren't very good value wise does not imply that they are a bad value product. I don't recall stating that they are bad, just not good compared to their competition which is how one determines the value of a product, to compare it to something similar. By comparing it to the products that I've listed, it is a bad value as it is $170 here in Canada compared to $100 Shure 440 and Gradio Sr80i.

Okay, give me a pair of headphones which compare to the M20X.

Okay, give me a pair of headphones which compare to the M20X.

Sony MDR-V6

Koss' PortaPro 

You asked for a pair of headphones and I've given you two examples of products that are equally or better in audio reproduction. At the price range that the M20X lies in ($50), it is not worth getting headphones as $20 ear buds will perform the same within a margin of error. Only once you get passed the $100 mark do you start to see a noticeable increase in sound quality. You can't argue with isolated examples just because one product in their lineup is of any good value. Now I ask, disprove my argument that Audiotechnica sells compelling value products with objective facts.

Uh, bullshit.

I don't think you realize the huge variety of audio products that audio-technica creates. Here's some cheap options with good reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-EQ300M-BK-Ear-Fit-Headphones/dp/B001DDLMN2/ref=pd_sim_e_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SW322P5PWVPZA8H7222

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-SJ11-Headphones-Black/dp/B004KCJJ4M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1395364003&sr=1-1&keywords=ath-sj11

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-T400-Closed-Back-Dynamic-Headphones/dp/B004RO3V7O/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1395364048&sr=1-1&keywords=ath-t

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-CLR100BK-Clear--Ear-Headphones/dp/B00BBDL55Y/ref=sr_1_22?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1395364115&sr=1-22&keywords=audio+technica

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-Mid-Size-Dynamic-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B00006I51S/ref=sr_1_47?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1395364137&sr=1-47&keywords=audio+technica

How about supporting your argument with evidence instead of blatantly claiming "bullshit"? I'll support my argument, the sweet spot for headphones is around the $100-$200 range whereas passing the $200 mark is the point of diminishing returns. This is evident in the current markets as most of the headphones recommended and mentioned are within this price bracket for example, the Shure 440, 840, Gradio Sr60i/80i, and the Audiotechnica ATH M50s. The reason the M50s are recommended a lot is due to the fact that a few years ago, Audio technica were one of the first successful headphone makers to produce a product of such quality for an exceptional price at that time, but times have changed and other companies have a better advantage over the M50s now. The M50s were an over hyped product and this is the consequence of that. An example are the headphones that I currently own, the Shure 840, they cost me $170, the same price as the new M50X and they have a much clearer and warmer sound compared to the M50X. They come with a removable cable and feel the same. The M50X is just a rebrand of the original M50s with the addition of a detachable cable, something my 840 had long ago and it was possible to mod the M50s for $20 for a removable cable. The reason that I stated that $100 is the starting point where good headphones start to appear is because anything less than $100 and you might as well go for cheap $10 earbuds where anything above $100 starts to sound exceptional. The new X series is just a way for Audiotechnica to make money, so how is my statement "bullshit"?

Now to answer your other statement, does it look like I care about how many products Audiotechnica makes? What you have failed to realize is that those products that you have linked us to are a minor segment of the sub $50 headphones/earbuds. You are arguing with isolated examples when trying to prove that all products of Audio technica are good value wise with biased examples towards cheap headphones and earbuds. When it comes to reviews, quantity wins over quality, look at how many reviews their are for those products, sub 50 reviews per product, now check Amazon's best/most popular headphones and earbuds sub $50 since you have given me cheap products to compare: 

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=headphones_center_5pack_wk42_UNDER50?ie=UTF8&bbn=172541&field-availability=-1&field-price-mp-owner-bin=2000-5000&rh=i%3Aelectronics-accessories%2Cn%3A172282%2Cn%3A!493964%2Cn%3A281407%2Cn%3A172532%2Cn%3A172541%2Cp_6%3AATVPDKIKX0DER%2Cn%3A!493964%2Cn%3A!493964%2Cn%3A!493964&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_r=1K7AYY3XJ6YQX6P1MK5F&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1710766382&pf_rd_i=172541

The top products have well over 500 reviews compared to your sub 50 reviews. If one person reviewed a headphone a gave it 5 stars and if 1000 people reviewed the headphone and also gave it a five star, which product is more likely to be the better one? Also on the note of this, I only see two Audiotechnica products worth mentioning in this sub $50 range, the M30 and M35, none of those random ass products that you just searched audio technica to find. I did generalize a bit stating that all Audio technica products do not provide a compelling value now with the exception of the M30 and M35, which none of you guys arguing for Audio technica pointed out, this suggests that you guys do not have the knowledge to argue with me since even a guy like me who dislikes Audio technica so much can find their most compelling value product. This is a thread on the M40X and the M50X and I therefore thought that these were the specific products that we were talking about, you people had to bring in the topic of other headphones. The earbuds that you have linked us to are on a different class of audio products, you cannot compare earbuds to over ear headphones. Another issue is that cheap is not equate to value, even Linus stated this once in his video on cheap graphic cards, the issue here was to present to me a compelling value product from Audio technica which you have failed to do.

It is ironic how I dislike Audiotechnica even though I posted the news on LTT forums on the new X series, you can see how some people agree with me in the subsequent posts: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/106187-newupdated-audio-technica-headphones-m20x-m30x-m40x-m50x/

Anyways, I done with this argument, you people have your own opinions and I have mine. Information and knowledge lead to better buying decisions and if you guys can't accept my facts, your regret.

How about supporting your argument with evidence instead of blatantly claiming "bullshit"? I'll support my argument, the sweet spot for headphones is around the $100-$200 range whereas passing the $200 mark is the point of diminishing returns. This is evident in the current markets as most of the headphones recommended and mentioned are within this price bracket for example, the Shure 440, 840, Gradio Sr60i/80i, and the Audiotechnica ATH M50s. The reason the M50s are recommended a lot is due to the fact that a few years ago, Audio technica were one of the first successful headphone makers to produce a product of such quality for an exceptional price at that time, but times have changed and other companies have a better advantage over the M50s now. The M50s were an over hyped product and this is the consequence of that. An example are the headphones that I currently own, the Shure 840, they cost me $170, the same price as the new M50X and they have a much clearer and warmer sound compared to the M50X. They come with a removable cable and feel the same. The M50X is just a rebrand of the original M50s with the addition of a detachable cable, something my 840 had long ago and it was possible to mod the M50s for $20 for a removable cable. The reason that I stated that $100 is the starting point where good headphones start to appear is because anything less than $100 and you might as well go for cheap $10 earbuds where anything above $100 starts to sound exceptional. The new X series is just a way for Audiotechnica to make money, so how is my statement "bullshit"?

Every sensible knows there's plenty of headphones that sound great under $100, so no, I don't need to argue my point. Even the Shure SRH440 and the Grados you listed are under $100.

Now to answer your other statement, does it look like I care about how many products Audiotechnica makes? What you have failed to realize is that those products that you have linked us to are a minor segment of the sub $50 headphones/earbuds. You are arguing with isolated examples when trying to prove that all products of Audio technica are good value wise with biased examples towards cheap headphones and earbuds. When it comes to reviews, quantity wins over quality, look at how many reviews their are for those products, sub 50 reviews per product, now check Amazon's best/most popular headphones and earbuds sub $50 since you have given me cheap products to compare:

I'm not trying to prove that all AT headphones are a good value, just trying to disprove your claim that most of them are a bad value. There's products from all audio companies that I think are overpriced, but I don't trash talk the entire brand because of them. Of

course they don't have as many reviews – audio-technica isn't a very popular brand on Amazon.com. These are just products I have heard good things about on other websites or personally tried.

The top products have well over 500 reviews compared to your sub 50 reviews. If one person reviewed a headphone a gave it 5 stars and if 1000 people reviewed the headphone and also gave it a five star, which product is more likely to be the better one? Also on the note of this, I only see two Audiotechnica products worth mentioning in this sub $50 range, the M30 and M35, none of those random ass products that you just searched audio technica to find.

The M30 and 35 are very uncomfortable, and no one should ever recommend them to another person to be their daily driver.

I did generalize a bit stating that all Audio technica products do not provide a compelling value now with the exception of the M30 and M35, which none of you guys arguing for Audio technica pointed out, this suggests that you guys do not have the knowledge to argue with me since even a guy like me who dislikes Audio technica so much can find their most compelling value product. This is a thread on the M40X and the M50X and I therefore thought that these were the specific products that we were talking about, you people had to bring in the topic of other headphones. The earbuds that you have linked us to are on a different class of audio products, you cannot compare earbuds to over ear headphones. Another issue is that cheap is not equate to value, even Linus stated this once in his video on cheap graphic cards, the issue here was to present to me a compelling value product from Audio technica which you have failed to do.

It is ironic how I dislike Audiotechnica even though I posted the news on LTT forums on the new X series, you can see how some people agree with me in the subsequent posts

You are obviously either a troll, or incredibly egotistical. You're taking a very unscientific look at this whole conversation in a weak attempt to win some meaningless argument on the internet. Your debate skills are poor, and it is clear you are not very knowledgeable about the audio industry. I suggest you quit now before a more eloquent member puts you in your place.