Selling Computers Online

MyFartSoTart

I would really like to start building custom computers and selling them online. Does anyone have experience in this and is there any money to be made? Where would be the best place to sell them online? Also, is it better to sell budget computers or expensive computers?

Without saying anything about where you live /area, this for me is a troll post.

Yes, there is money to be made in this. No, it's not as easy money making way as you may think it is.

Make expensive computers to start with and then try to make some cheaper ones

My Laptop: A MacBook Air 

My Desktop: Don’t have one 

My Phone: An Honor 8s (although I don’t recommend it)

My Favourite OS: Linux

My Console: A Regular PS4

My Tablet: A Huawei Mediapad m5 

Spoiler

3 hours ago, komar said:

Without saying anything about where you live /area, this for me is a troll post.

Yes, there is money to be made in this. No, it's not as easy money making way as you may think it is.

I live in Eastern North Carolina. Thank you all for you’re responses, just wanted some second opinions.

The market is WAY to tough for someone to make any real money doing this unless you have the talents to make one off modded cases and what not to make the systems super unique. My suggestion is to not try building computers to sell and post them online, only build a computer for a client you already have in place

4 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

The market is WAY to tough for someone to make any real money doing this unless you have the talents to make one off modded cases and what not to make the systems super unique. My suggestion is to not try building computers to sell and post them online, only build a computer for a client you already have in place

That makes sense. I actually recently built a pc for my dad for an emulation machine, with a custom built open air wooden case. (I didn’t get paid, just experience)

1 hour ago, MyFartSoTart said:

That makes sense. I actually recently built a pc for my dad for an emulation machine, with a custom built open air wooden case. (I didn’t get paid, just experience)

LOL

As an actual business? Nope. Don't even bother. As a side job that you try to keep under the radar? Maybe, but your best bet is doing it locally.

Though, with the way things are right now, if you happen to be within driving distance of a Microcenter you might be able to get away with it. Shopping with them can net you pretty deep discounts, and a lot of the stuff isn't available online so you'd have that as a benefit as well.

If you have to ship it you're adding significant amounts of overhead to your business, as well as a lot more risk. Not only do you have shipping to account for (which you can pass off onto the customer, and pad slightly, but still) you also have packing materials. Then there's market. If someone isn't willing to put together their own PC, they likely want any issues that come up to be dealt with by you as well. How will you accomplish that? What if a hardware piece is dead and you have to warranty it? How will you get the PC back, replace the part, and back to the customer without completely blowing any profit you made out of the water and over the moon?

You'll actually likely make more money buying PCs, stripping them down and selling them part by part as a "hobby."

5 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

Eh you can, it just depends on a few aspects, like if he lives near a Microcenter or not, if he'll offer a warranty, and how much profit he hopes to make.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red