Capacity upgrading question

nothin.here

Guys, need your help here 

Currently i have 2tb*4 on my ds918+ on raid 5,  and i plan to upgrade all drive to 8 tb, my NAS currently using around 5tb and i dont have any external hdd that big or hdd enclosure so i cannot backup those data aomewhere else

What will happen if i just change each drive and repair it one by one, i trust that all my data will still be there but what will be the end result for the total capacity? Will it be 24 tb or same old 6 tb ?

Many thanks in advance

Get a backup working first, changing drives always increases the risk of data loss.

Did you setup shr? if you did you can mix drive sizes and only upgrade 2 drives for more space.

You can upgrade the size of all drives and get more space.

15 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Get a backup working first, changing drives always increases the risk of data loss.

Did you setup shr? if you did you can mix drive sizes and only upgrade 2 drives for more space.

You can upgrade the size of all drives and get more space.

here is the thing, I've been upgrading my 2tb SSD to 8tb HDD as below.

Just wondering what will be the end result? will I have the same 6tb or it will be 24tb ?

- I guess I will never know until all disk has been changed? also since raid 5 only required 3 HDD, what if i just change all 3 8tb hdd and remove just leave the 4th tray blank? and is it possible to change raid 5 which create with 4 HDD to raid 5 with just 3 HDD?

BTW, please assume that I dont mind of any data loss

image.png.7e587056093a1593a55cd22f5092efba.png

3 hours ago, nothin.here said:

here is the thing, I've been upgrading my 2tb SSD to 8tb HDD as below.

Just wondering what will be the end result? will I have the same 6tb or it will be 24tb ?

- I guess I will never know until all disk has been changed? also since raid 5 only required 3 HDD, what if i just change all 3 8tb hdd and remove just leave the 4th tray blank? and is it possible to change raid 5 which create with 4 HDD to raid 5 with just 3 HDD?

BTW, please assume that I dont mind of any data loss

image.png.7e587056093a1593a55cd22f5092efba.png

With that setup you need to increase every drives size to increase the total size. If you don't mind data loss, id just format it so you have more capacity with this fized setup now.