Is my dream triple channel ITX motherboard possible?

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,
Just now, thDel said:

I don’t understand, does am4 support quad channel? If not what CPUs do?

AM4 supports processors with a controller that has TWO memory channels,  each memory channel allowing for TWO sticks.  The first and third slot are connected to the first channel, the 2nd and 4th slot are connected to the second memory channel. 

Motherboards with only 2 memory slots will simply connect only one memory slot to each channel available. 

Threadripper supports 4 channels, and up to motherboard manufacturer if it connects 1 or 2 memory slots to each channel. 

Threadripper Pro (like I linked)  has 8 channels and I think only one memory slot per channel is usually found on motherboards (not enough space for 2, and it's way more difficult to have 16 slots)

40 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Processors that support QUAD channel  also do this interleaving thing but with 4 memory channels, and therefore 4 memory sticks. So it's even better. 

it seems like you're stuck with this triple channel speed, when it fact it's nothing special.  Processors (because the memory controller is inside the processor) also do it with dual channel. 

There's also the fancy Threadripper Pro processors which have EIGHT channels, each with one memory stick : https://www.pcworld.com/article/3566078/amd-threadripper-pro-has-64-cores-128-pcie-lanes-and-8-channel-memory-support.html

Even more - and that screenshot doesn't tell you - is that there's also the concept of DUAL RANK memory sticks, which do something similar. The memory controller can issue some commands to ONE HALF of the memory stick and while that half prepares data (reads it from memory chips and makes it ready to be pushed through the wires to the CPU), the processor actually transfers data from the other half of the memory stick. 

In REAL WORLD, the benefits of that interleaving and reduction of latency is super small, basically you wouldn't notice it. 

In ITX boards, you're limited to 2 memory sticks because PHYSICALLY there's no room on the motherboard for more.  It may LOOK like there's not, but wherever it looks like there's space for some, imagine there's lots of wires going all over the place through the circuit board, in multiple layers. 

In order to put memory slots, there has to be unused areas for the metal pins inside the ram slots to go through and those will block the path of various wires inside the motherboard. 

Some motherboards solve this problem by using laptop style SO-DIMM sticks instead of the long memory slots, but those bring their own complexity, it's not a solution.

To be fair quad dimm itx boards do exist

To add, DDR5 is gonna come up, and from what I heard they're planning some things with it like just one memory stick per channel , but the sticks are now 128 bit wide instead of 64 bit (basically as if you have two slots side by side and you put double wide memory stick)

They were also planning to support in between capacities, like  1.5 GB chips (16 x 1.5  = 24 GB stick of ram )  etc etc  nowadays sticks are made with 512 MB - 1 GB - 2 GB chips ( 8 or 16 chips x capacity = 4 GB .. 32 GB per stick) 

38 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Why? 

Explain why it's SO important to have triple channel. What do you do now that you think triple channel makes SO much better than dual channel? 

Is it just for looks, to have 3 memory sticks, or did you read somewhere that triple channel is the shit or you have some misconception? 

For more space. To have 48gb ram instead of 32 on itx

31 minutes ago, jaslion said:

To be fair quad dimm itx boards do exist

Do you reckon I can put quad dimms on and have am4 and have m.2 drives and x570 chipset cooling and 10gig lan and wifi. (Not being sarcastic actually want to know if you think it’s possible)

21 minutes ago, thDel said:

Alright since I am no getting through to you here is a list as to why triple channel is not happening ever again:

1. It was a stop gap solution

2. There was no space on the FULL SIZE ATX BOARDS back then now there is even enough space for 4 slots on a itx board

3. There is no cpu support

4. Nobody would buy this as there is no support thus everything would run worse

5. No cpu support

6. Ddr4 already comes in 32gb sizes each dimm

7. People that need powerfull workstations with massive amounts of ram won't pick a itx rig

8. There is no support for triple channel memory

9. Quad channel exists

10. It won't work

11. Ram kits come in 2 or 4 packs (sometimes more but that is rare and then it is an 8 pack)

12. It DOESN'T EXIST anymore

So just get triple channel out of your head and move on.

Just now, thDel said:

Do you reckon I can put quad dimms on and have am4 and have m.2 drives and x570 chipset cooling and 10gig lan and wifi. (Not being sarcastic actually want to know if you think it’s possible)

Yeah you could 

it would look something like the picture below

Oh, sorry, you want a pci-e x16 slot? No, f.. you, use integrated graphics, cause you just had to have 4 memory slots and x570 chipset. 

Did you want more than 4-6 usb ports and front panel headers? F... you where do you want to put those headers? the 10g chip and heatsink take up space near io shield so can't put usb there. 

Now you have a big ass heasink and cooler on the x570 which is gonna be cool as ice, because it only gets hot when pci-e 4.0 devices will be installed, and you only have room for ONE m2. connector, which is connected directly to CPU so the chipset sits there doing shit all. 

But you just HAD TO have x570/x670 chipset. 

Untitled.thumb.jpg.a97853c544d0d50260eb4613c4843d22.jpg 

20 minutes ago, thDel said:

You can have most but really just get a micro atx board with all that. You are asking for A LOT from a itx board here

1 hour ago, thDel said:

Its likely that you could already put in two 32GB dual-rank sticks and it would work, as that is functionally the same as putting in four single-rank 16GB sticks.  The maximum memory size on motherboards is often incorrect because its based on what was available and tested at the design stage.

The real limitation is what the CPUs memory controller can support.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

5 hours ago, thDel said:

I don’t understand, does am4 support quad channel? If not what CPUs do?

No. It does not. Server cpus.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler