How bad are gaming chairs

Ankh Tech
Go to solution Solved by HanZie82,
1 minute ago, Ankh Tech said:

Thanks, I dobt rage or move around a lot, so it should last long, because apparantly dinner table chairs aren't made for sitting on a computer

Hahahah yeah, talking about bad for your back. ;) But from there anything will be an upgrade.
Take your time, do your research and if possible try some out before you buy.

So, I really like the look of gaming chairs, but I heard they are really bad for your back, so If I stay maybe an hour gaming and 2 - 3 hours editing a day, is a gaming chair a bad choice? Oh and if it is in the wrong subforum, please correct me.

tia

I got a 200 buck gaming chair, and it suuuucks. Sitting on a brick is more comfortable.
Like any good desk chair they will be very expensive. There have been some good ones but those around 700 bucks afaik.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Just make sure it isnt one of those racing chairs. They have bad paddling and often force you into a bad posture, especially of you have broad shouldets. 

Many also come with a U-formed seat, meaning you cant sit sort of sideways or on your legs. 

11 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

they are really bad for your back,

The whole point of most of them is to help your back for longer sessions, I have a gray GT505 and it’s actually really nice. But it’s really just preference, some people don’t like the way it keeps you locked forward, and some people don’t like just how expensive some of them are.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qJB4Xv

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($269.00 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: MSI MAG CORE LIQUID 240R 78.73 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($394.98 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory  ($174.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card  ($869.99 @ Staples) 
Case: Thermaltake V200 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Asus 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($229.64) 
Total: $2338.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-08 10:04 EST-0500

Just now, Dudis said:

Just make sure it isnt one of those racing chairs. They have bad paddling and often force you into a bad posture, especially of you have broad shouldets. 

Many also come with a U-formed SEAT, meaning you cant sit sort of sideways or on your legs. 

what about the corsair t3 rush? I will be playing race sims

Just now, Yo soy Jack said:

The whole point of most of them is to help your back for longer sessions, I have a gray GT505 and it’s actually really nice.

Must agree with you. Ive never actually had a gaming chair, but ive used some when ive been with my friends. And i must say, from someone whose only had basic office chairs, the gaming chairs feel AMAZING. My back feels more relaxed and not banana formed in the gaming chairs. One thing i dont like, is that most of the gaming chairs are U formed so your legs gets cramped together. So you cant man spread.

5 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

For just racing sims for an hour or two tops it should be fine, but it looks cheaper then mine. So be very careful.

And yes this is my 2nd ACTUAL gaming chair. So...

And my last one. Get a good proper chair and you will be way more happy.

Something like this altho it wont be cheap. As with most things adding the word GAMING doesnt make it better, just more expensive!!!!!!!!!

Screenshot_35.png

4 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

For just racing sims for an hour or two tops it should be fine, but it looks cheaper then mine. So be very careful.

And yes this is my 2nd ACTUAL gaming chair. So...

And my last one. Get a good proper chair and you will be way more happy.

Something like this altho it wont be cheap. As with most things adding the word GAMING doesnt make it better, just more expensive!!!!!!!!!

Screenshot_35.png

Thanks, I dobt rage or move around a lot, so it should last long, because apparantly dinner table chairs aren't made for sitting on a computer

1 minute ago, Ankh Tech said:

Hahahah yeah, talking about bad for your back. ;) But from there anything will be an upgrade.

Just now, HanZie82 said:

thanks, I anyways usually lean a bit forward unless im typing,(can't touch type), so a hard beck rest isn't that bad, 

2 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

thanks, I anyways usually lean a bit forward unless im typing,(can't touch type), so a hard beck rest isn't that bad, 

Just make sure the sitting cushion isnt hard (like mine) cus thats the most aweful. (lots of cheap chairs have that, i guess the good foam is expensive)

And i can also feel some tubing or whatever the back rest is made of, since the foam is just worthless. So keep that in mind. ;)

And yes i also sit forward. :)

Just now, HanZie82 said:

Just make sure the sitting cushion isnt hard (like mine) cus thats the most aweful. (lots of cheap chairs have that, i guess the good foam is expensive)

And yes i also sit forward. :)

thanks for the help, aprreciated

18 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

I wouldnt get it because of the shape of the backrest and seat. It makes sense in an actual sports car as it helps with the g-forces, but for sittning down at your pc I'd recommend something more ergonomic.

I got a dx racer a few years back and while it felt good in the beginnig, i had to throw it out after a year because of the issues it gave me. 

Specifically, my issue was that it messed up my shoulders and that it gave me a forward pelvis tilt that lead to issues with my back thighs constantly feeling strained and hurting. 

Im not even in bad shape and wasnt even 30 at the time. I'm all good now though. 

6 minutes ago, Dudis said:

I wouldnt get it because of the shape of the backrest and seat. It makes sense in an actual sports car as it helps with the g-forces, but for sittning down at your pc I'd recommend something more ergonomic.

I got a dx racer a few years back and while it felt good in the beginnig, i had to throw it out after a year because of the issues it gave me. 

Specifically, my issue was that it messed up my shoulders and that it gave me a forward pelvis tilt that lead to issues with my back thighs constantly feeling strained and hurting. 

Im not even in bad shape and wasnt even 30 at the time. I'm all good now though. 

as I said above, I usually lean forward when gaming or editing, would that still be a problem?

12 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

as I said above, I usually lean forward when gaming or editing, would that still be a problem?

It's really hard to tell. Mine felt alright, good even, until it didnt. 

1 minute ago, Dudis said:

It's really hard to tell. Mine felt alright, good even, until it didnt. 

ok thanks anyways, will try to test one

Whatever you decide on, just make sure you measure your body prior to purchasing. 

Here are the points you should get numbers for:

Back of the knee to your bottom minus 1.5" or so (seat size)

outside of your thighs (seat width) Also make sure the arms of the chair don't push in in this part of the seat. 

Your bottom to your neck/top of head (seat back height)

Knee to ground to see if you can sit with your feet on the ground at all. (me, my wife and my kids all of this problem. We have short legs)

I hope that helps.

Personally, I bought my wife the Autonomous Ergo Chair 2, after seeing a video from Jayztwocents. 

The only thing she doesn't like is that her feet don't touch the ground. The rest is great. 

I have an AKRacing MAX seat. It is wide enough for me and holds more than my weight. 

My daughter likes that she can sit criss-cross in it. 

My 2020 Upgrade: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600; MB: MSI X570 Tomohawk WiFi; Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600 MHz; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance; PSU: Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold; Storage: WD Blue 500GB SSD; Seagate 4TB Compute HDD; Monitor: GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA 1500R Display

Previous Components Still Using: GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (bought Used); Storage: WD 3TB Green HDD,WD 1TB Black HDD, SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

Previous Monitor I want to VESA mount: LG 29UB55-B 29" Ultrawide 1080p 60Hz IPS

If you guys want a good chair for gaming, buy a Herman Miller or Steelcase Criterion or Leap chair.  You don't have to pay $1,000 for one.  There are some refurbished sellers that ship you chairs that look as good as new (and sometimes the only thing that needed replacing was the gas canister).

Cubicles.com has an Amazon storefront that sells refurbished Criterion chairs.  $351 gets you an adjustable seat depth Steelcase chair ($305 gets you one without the adjustable depth--the extra is worth it for that feature though), which is a lot nicer than the $925 it will cost new.

https://www.cubicles.com/home/search?q=Steelcase+chair

Herman Miller also has some bargains too.

https://www.madisonseating.com/landing/herman-miller-aeron.html

These chairs may not have the "elite gamer dude" look appeal but they're made to last and be comfortable.  They're high end office chairs for a reason.

2 hours ago, Dream Machines Official said:

How about Noble Chairs? Has anyone tried these:

https://noblechairs.com/#

This one is my favorite pick ^^:

https://noblechairs.com/collections/hero/products/hero?variant=36279319232665

I would avoid any chair with a mesh covering like that.  All that covering does is make the chair harder to clean.

If bugs that like fabric (like bed bugs) manage to get behind that thing without you noticing them and end up laying eggs in there, you're never going to get them out because that stupid mesh is in the way.

With a Steelcase or Herman Miller chair, you don't have to worry about issues like that since they're so easy to clean.

They're bad. They are modeled after car seats but you are not in a car, you are at a desk. Get a desk chair, ignore the 'clout' or whatever about having some gaming chair. Imo they're childish anyway, but that's subjective I guess.

As others have been saying, if you have the budget 1000000% look into steelcase or herman miller. And the thing is buying one nice chair now will save you tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills down the line when your back doesn't give out 😛