Radeon 6900 xt vs RTX 3080?

Longshot
Go to solution Solved by Briggsy,
3 hours ago, dickjack said:

Why do people say AMD cards ages better than Nvidia? I would assume the card that has better performance would age better (?) 

Its a curious notion for sure. 

Back when AMD were overbuilding their hardware, it took months and sometimes years for the drivers to catch up, and so the fanboys fell back on the idea that AMD performance improved over time like fine wine, instead of acknowledging that AMD couldn't get their drivers optimized in a timely fashion for AAA games. 

The fine wine argument is a reaction to AMD having slow driver releases, because if AMD didn't have slow driver releases then there wouldn't be any "fine wine" improvements later. You can't have both, they're mutually exclusive.

The only other aspect is the amount of VRAM that AMD uses compared to Nvidia. Go all the way back to GCN 1.1 with the R9 290 and there were 4GB and 8GB variants, while Nvidia was playing around with 3GB 780s and 6GB Titans. As far back as I can remember, AMD have always had more VRAM. I think the VRAM size might be the only meaningful way that AMD cards could age better, but at some point all the VRAM in the world isn't going to give you more performance, and in my own testing Nvidia manages VRAM usage better than AMD does, which means AMD having more VRAM might simply be to compensate for less aggressive memory management. 

2 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

if you dont care about raytracing keep the 6900xt, since in that term it is better, but you will lose on some godd features in the nvidia card, both wil give you what you need, and more

what features exactly will I miss?

AMD will also support raytracing, tho I don't think I am going to use it anyway.

For DLSS AMD is also working on an alternative called FidelityFX.

Nvidia has more features like PhysX but nobody is implementing that.

There are no other features that really sets Nvidia and AMD apart if I recall correctly.

Just now, Pascal3366 said:

what features exactly will I miss?

AMD will also support raytracing, tho I don't think I am going to use it anyway.

For DLSS AMD is also working on an alternative called FidelityFX.

Nvidia has more features like PhysX but nobody is implementing that.

There are no other features that really sets Nvidia and AMD apart if I recall correctly.

like nvidia braodcast, cool features that you might need, but I'd get the amd

Just now, Ankh Tech said:

like nvidia braodcast, cool features that you might need, but I'd get the amd

I am not a streamer nor a let's player so I will not use features like shadowplay to record or stream games.

Just now, Pascal3366 said:

I am not a streamer nor a let's player so I will not use features like shadowplay to record or stream games.

then the 6900 xt is your best bet, more performance, and you don't need the nvidia features, so get the 6900 xt

1 minute ago, Ankh Tech said:

then the 6900 xt is your best bet, more performance, and you don't need the nvidia features, so get the 6900 xt

Alright since I wanted to get that card long before it was announced I will certainly get the RX 6900 XT.

I hope that custom designs will arrive soon and that they will be be available to actually buy them at a reasonable price.

8 hours ago, Ankh Tech said:

if you dont care about raytracing keep the 6900xt, since in that term it is better, but you will lose on some godd features in the nvidia card, both wil give you what you need, and more

I've honestly decided to go with the 3080 because of those features :P