Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Would you import an RTX card from another country form a reputable retailer at MSRP?

Would you risk not having a warranty from the manufacturer by importing an RTX from another country if it's from a reputable retailer at MSRP?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I would. Downside is you'll probably end up paying some duties and taxes, so it's worth seeing how you can game the system a bit. For example, when importing from the US to Canada, if you get a friend to ship it to you and you declare it as a gift, the first $60 will be duty and tax exempt. It's not much, but it does make some difference.

My System: 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC •  Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White) • ASUS VG27AQ • Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum • Logitech G502 Hero

 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't. I'm not that desperate to get a GPU like that. 

If I'm importing something, it'd better be for a good reason, i.e. it's a game or a tape from another region that's actually different than what I can get here. I'm not desperate enough to import a GPU from another country.

PC Setup:

 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 V1 8GB | Motherboard: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM: 2x8GB Patriot DDR4 at 2400MHz | Storage: 256GB Inland Professional NVMe SSD, 120GB Inland Professional SATA SSD and 2TB WD Blue 2.5" 5400rpm HDD | Case: Cooler Master N400 | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | PSU: EVGA G3 550 | Headphones: Sony MDR-7506 | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K65 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero | Capture cards: StarTech PEXHDCAP2 (for HDMI and 480p analog captures) and AVerMedia C027 (for interlaced captures) | Monitor: Dell 3008WFP

Local dickhead, PlayStation 2 enthusiast and VHS collector.

Volume / Normalized 100% / 67% (content loudness 3.4dB)

 

 

@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie | Jake x Brendan :^

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, the_importer said:

Would you risk not having a warranty from the manufacturer by importing an RTX from another country if it's from a reputable retailer at MSRP?

No, because at best if you need warranty you will have to send it back there, at worst you wont have any warranty at all.

Router: i5-7200U appliance running pfSense WiFi: Ubiquiti nanoHD (~700Mbit peak throughput)
ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (66Mbit) + Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra. (56Mbit)

Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as you buy from a good company, you're fine. EVGA for example has global warranties.

 

32 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

Yeah, I would. Downside is you'll probably end up paying some duties and taxes, so it's worth seeing how you can game the system a bit. For example, when importing from the US to Canada, if you get a friend to ship it to you and you declare it as a gift, the first $60 will be duty and tax exempt. It's not much, but it does make some difference.

There's no duty on most electronics anyway ;) 

30 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

I wouldn't. I'm not that desperate to get a GPU like that. 

If I'm importing something, it'd better be for a good reason, i.e. it's a game or a tape from another region that's actually different than what I can get here. I'm not desperate enough to import a GPU from another country.

True, but you also live in the US where availability is a lot higher for virtually every product.

16 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

No, because at best if you need warranty you will have to send it back there, at worst you wont have any warranty at all.

Not always.

Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dizmo said:

True, but you also live in the US where availability is a lot higher for virtually every product.

It wouldn't matter if I lived in the US, if I lived in Canada, the Netherlands, Romania, Japan or New Zealand. I'm not so desperate for a brand new thing that I have to import it right then and there.

PC Setup:

 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 V1 8GB | Motherboard: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM: 2x8GB Patriot DDR4 at 2400MHz | Storage: 256GB Inland Professional NVMe SSD, 120GB Inland Professional SATA SSD and 2TB WD Blue 2.5" 5400rpm HDD | Case: Cooler Master N400 | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | PSU: EVGA G3 550 | Headphones: Sony MDR-7506 | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K65 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero | Capture cards: StarTech PEXHDCAP2 (for HDMI and 480p analog captures) and AVerMedia C027 (for interlaced captures) | Monitor: Dell 3008WFP

Local dickhead, PlayStation 2 enthusiast and VHS collector.

Volume / Normalized 100% / 67% (content loudness 3.4dB)

 

 

@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie | Jake x Brendan :^

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Not always.

This is Sony, I know from past experience with a PSVita I imported from Japan, you cannot register the serial number of a console from one region in a different one.

Router: i5-7200U appliance running pfSense WiFi: Ubiquiti nanoHD (~700Mbit peak throughput)
ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (66Mbit) + Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra. (56Mbit)

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

11 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

This is Sony, I know from past experience with a PSVita I imported from Japan, you cannot register the serial number of a console from one region in a different one.

I wasn't aware Sony made the RTX cards.

12 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

It wouldn't matter if I lived in the US, if I lived in Canada, the Netherlands, Romania, Japan or New Zealand. I'm not so desperate for a brand new thing that I have to import it right then and there.

Just an odd stance to take. You make it seem like it's some sort of massive undertaking and it'll cost a lot more. It won't, other than perhaps a little in shipping.

Pretty much everything is imported from another country at some point in the supply chain.

Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, dizmo said:

 

I wasn't aware Sony made the RTX cards.

Just an odd stance to take. You make it seem like it's some sort of massive undertaking and it'll cost a lot more. It won't, other than perhaps a little in shipping.

Pretty much everything is imported from another country at some point in the supply chain.

Ooops yeah I mixed up a different thread I was reading about the PS5 lol.

Its still often the case that the serial numbers are recorded against the region they were sold in though, making registering the warranty a problem.

Router: i5-7200U appliance running pfSense WiFi: Ubiquiti nanoHD (~700Mbit peak throughput)
ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (66Mbit) + Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra. (56Mbit)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2020 at 1:19 AM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Ooops yeah I mixed up a different thread I was reading about the PS5 lol.

Its still often the case that the serial numbers are recorded against the region they were sold in though, making registering the warranty a problem.

Sometimes, depends on the company. Just have to make sure they support global warranties.

Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×