Linux User Curious About GPU Setups In Windows

Aremis

Hi,

I currently have a beefy system for my personal needs, though I have many things I do with it outside of gaming.

Specs RQ:

Ryzen 3900X

32GB @3000mhz Corsair LPX (will be upgrading to 64 if needed, though mobo upgrade will happen later so maybe 128GB)

Gigabyte Aorus X470 Ultra Gaming (bought for IOMMU, I know my chokes are barely enough to hit 4.2GHz stable shush)

Corsair H100i V2 (AM4 edition)
Sapphire RX480 Nitro+ (main GPU)

and either a EVGA GTX 970 SSC+

or

an NVidia GRID K2 that I will be turning into a tesla or a headless 680/690.

powered by an EVGA G3+ 750W PSU in a HAF EVO XB

Its not a great build but it works and does MOST of what I need to.  I am going to admit though, I'm a linux user.  I'm honestly used to doing almost whatever I want with my computer, with very fem limitations to my ideas.

Recently I decided to start using windows 8 again because I wanted to play tarkov.  Because of reasons, I redid my desktop completely.  I want to have my 480 in my machine as my display card and my 970 in there doing nvenc.  Though, to my knowledge, 8/8.1 had bad handling of cross format cards?  So using both drivers at once either bluescreens immediately or kills one card?  Was that ever fixed?  Last I tried was legit 2016, way before this build obv....

Either way, lmk.  I've been on a break from linux and I'll be reinstalling it here soon to reattempt with VM passthrough, and if I get it working I'll let ya'll know...  But for the moment, is it possible to do this and not have everything die?

Why are you running 8.1? Just run windows 10, much better support for modern gpus.

BUt you should be able to use both brands of gpus at once.

I would use 10. just, it handels everything better when dual gpu is concerned, and if you need it, there is a 32bit version of win10, if its a 32bit game that doesnt work (most do tho)

But both gpus should work.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Cool thx

I'm using 8.1 because I don't like that settings get altered every update or things screw up my start menu every time I reboot.  I'm not dealing with that crap.