looking for a budget cooler for ryzen 5 3600 (stock cooler thermal throtteling)

Utilityblock367

hi im looking for a cpu cooler for my mini ATX build i just got together, im using the stock cooler but its thermal throttling the whole time, anywhere between 75 and 40 c, no pattern just up and down randomly, even when idle. my friend said the Cryorig H7 would work but im not sure about clearances. The max cpu cooler height is 15.7 cm, case Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L Micro ATX, i have a max budget of 55 euros, and i live in the Netherlands. thanks in advance!

737673676_thermalthrotteling.PNG.a2de66b967958ecb68582d217139b7a6.PNG

Coolermaster 212 and it might just fit inside, as its only 1.8mm taller.

Width 7.7 cm
Depth 12.3 cm
Height 15.88 cm

Ryzen 9 5900X | ALFII 280 | X570 MEG ACE | 32GB Patriot 3733-CL16-20-20-38 | Msi Tri-X 4080 | S-Blaster Z | Sabrent Rocket4 plus-g, Crucial P1, WD Green | Fractal ION 850W 80+ Gold | Define R6 | LG 34GN850 | L-tech K120 & Razer D-adder Mini |

Measure your case from mobo to glass side and take off say 10mm for height of CPU/socket?

Well a couple things here.

Would think with all the holes the case has it would be a decent airflow case, but it's not. 

The cooler is doing its job for the size of the cooler and the environment.

Some options for you are

Add some fans

Add a beefy cooler

Both

Get a better case or combination of better with fans and/cooler.

Recommendations are

Fans    Arctic p12 Pam

Cooler     gammaxx 400 v2 

Case.        Cougar mx330

I would check temps with side panel off. This will let you know if the case is the main factor with you cooling issue.

Also have you simply tried to adjust the fan curve on the cpu?

Your temps are fine and that's not throttling. If you want less fan ramping adjust your fan speeds. Raising the speed change delay can also help. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

18 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Your temps are fine and that's not throttling. If you want less fan ramping adjust your fan speeds. Raising the speed change delay can also help. 

were do i adjust cpu fan delay and curves

23 hours ago, narrdarr said:

I would check temps with side panel off. This will let you know if the case is the main factor with you cooling issue.

i have the side panel off, so far havent gone over 90c as of yet but its ideling at 60-70 c with the same up and down as in the photo

1 minute ago, Utilityblock367 said:

Which motherboard do you have?

2 minutes ago, Utilityblock367 said:

i have the side panel off, so far havent gone over 90c as of yet but its ideling at 60-70 c with the same up and down as in the photo

Wait your idle is 60 70? A spike here n there is ok. But if it constant then you may have a mounting issue...

11 minutes ago, Utilityblock367 said:

Can you run cinnabench r20? And see what your temps do.

24 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Which motherboard do you have?

MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI

21 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Wait your idle is 60 70? A spike here n there is ok. But if it constant then you may have a mounting issue...

image.png.31f9233931efdc879a13540c542bfb0e.png       This is the temps now with a few fan tweaks to ramp up and down times, dident really help, max is 83 min 51

20 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Can you run cinnabench r20? And see what your temps do.

i dont have cinebench

On 12/4/2020 at 5:57 PM, narrdarr said:

Also have you simply tried to adjust the fan curve on the cpu?

just did but i have no clue what im doing really, any tips?

37 minutes ago, Utilityblock367 said:

i dont have cinebench

Can you download it?

34 minutes ago, Utilityblock367 said:

just did but i have no clue what im doing really, any tips?

It kinda straight forward. In the bios 

In q fan

Set the fan speed based on the temp fast fan speed. 

As for a tip. I'd start with max fan speed across the board and work backward based on temps and noise. 

Quick note 

Load temps is the important one you should worry about.

Technically anything under 95c is in spec but I think most of us would agree 83c and under would be better and most shoot for 70 75c with better coolers.

The Q300L is not exactly the best case when it comes to temperatures, a variant of it was one of the worst cases (according to Gamers Nexus)

Given the small dimensions of the case some of the better coolers are out of question.

There are some top flow coolers like the be Quiet Shadow Rock TF but then RAM compatibility could get dicey.

Do you use any RAM with tall heat spreaders?

Actually even the Wraith Prism would be an upgrade but getting that is not exactly easy.

A similar performing cooler would be the Arctic Freezer 7 X which you can actually buy and is quite affordable unlike the other options.

This case might fit a 120mm AIO but I am not sure on that. Said AIO is not exactly cheap either.

For now until you get a new cooler try to take off the dust filters temporaily. Do not do that in the long run but this should help with temps by a tiny bit.

36 minutes ago, MarkR17 said:

Do you use any RAM with tall heat spreaders?

im using Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3600, so not a tall set, and rather short actually, also the case specs say the maximum cpu cooler height is 157mm

25 minutes ago, MarkR17 said:

This case might fit a 120mm AIO but I am not sure on that. Said AIO is not exactly cheap either.

this case i could see mounting a 240mm aio rad at the front, but the tubes would have to be at the top rather than the bottom, im not entirely sure about orientations myself

im also currently looking at the Noctua NH-U9S Chromax.Black, seems small enough for this case but ive hear comments on the 90mm fan being too small

Honestly pretty much anything would be better than stock. Even mine gets toasty in a Meshify C with strong fans. I haven’t overclocked mine yet.

booost.PNG

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

7 hours ago, Utilityblock367 said:

It should be in the motherboard fan settings and labelled step up / step down time. 

From the manual: https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/M7C95v1.4-ASIA.pdf

5d3fdd305254af6785f677ad409d7350.png

4 hours ago, Utilityblock367 said:

im also currently looking at the Noctua NH-U9S Chromax.Black, seems small enough for this case but ive hear comments on the 90mm fan being too small

The NH-U9S would be plenty for cooling but unnecessary since your temps seem fine already. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

21 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The NH-U9S would be plenty for cooling but unnecessary since your temps seem fine already. 

well seeing as i get around 86c with the side panel off im not too comfortable, thats with v-sync on btw max 60fps, i am looking at getting a 5 pack of fans from amazon, EZDIY-FAB 120mm ARGB as ive seen on some tech youtuber channels, plus the one i have in the case id have 3 intakes and three venting fans in my case, so id expect that to help as well, but once i save up a little ill still be getting the NH-u9s, unless you recommend something else shorter than 157mm thats better than the stock cooler, im just not sure why im getting this up down the whole time, it seems very odd and id like to get that sorted out

1 hour ago, Utilityblock367 said:

well seeing as i get around 86c with the side panel off im not too comfortable, thats with v-sync on btw max 60fps, i am looking at getting a 5 pack of fans from amazon, EZDIY-FAB 120mm ARGB as ive seen on some tech youtuber channels, plus the one i have in the case id have 3 intakes and three venting fans in my case, so id expect that to help as well, but once i save up a little ill still be getting the NH-u9s, unless you recommend something else shorter than 157mm thats better than the stock cooler, im just not sure why im getting this up down the whole time, it seems very odd and id like to get that sorted out

The Q300L doesn't have great airflow but 86c is a bit high with the side panel off. Extra case fans can help overall airflow but won't make as much of a difference as a better cooler. The Gammaxx 400 V2 is a good option: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/x2JmP6/deepcool-gammaxx-400-v2-645-cfm-cpu-cooler-dp-mch4-gmx400v2-bl

The fan ramping is caused by fan settings that aren't gradual enough. As mentioned, it can be reduced with a better fan curve and increasing the step up / down delay.