Wondering if I should get a new PSU for the RTX 3080

LightningMachine
Go to solution Solved by boggy77,

it's not a great unit, due to its age, but 800w should be enough for that build. consider the psu to be your next first upgrade after you manage to save some money after the purchase of a 3080

Hi guys, I heard this was a friendly place to ask questions concerning PC building. 

So, currently I've had a Corsair GS800 paired with an i7-6700K, a GTX 1080, one SSD, one HDD and one DVD-drive. Back when I built it in 2016 I was advised to use this power supply. The argument was that even if my PC doesn't use this much wattage, it would be more than adequate to catch spikes. 

I'm on the fence of purchasing a EVGA RTX 3080 but I'm wondering if I would need a new PSU as well, seeing as it does require more wattage than the 1080.

it's not a great unit, due to its age, but 800w should be enough for that build. consider the psu to be your next first upgrade after you manage to save some money after the purchase of a 3080

27 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Thanks for the advice!