M.2 Storage with an adapter

iiTzSander
Go to solution Solved by Sharif,

For everyday usage you won't be able to tell from an NVME based one and a SATA one. Just get a good SSD.

On the other hand if you need that raw write speed for a particular task, go right ahead.  

Due to having an old motherboard, I was wondering whatever or not it would be advised/smart to buy M.2 and use the adapter to use it / use it to boot into Windows?

PC Specs: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 12GB | 32x2GB G Skill 3600Mhz | TUF Gaming X570-PLUS

For everyday usage you won't be able to tell from an NVME based one and a SATA one. Just get a good SSD.

On the other hand if you need that raw write speed for a particular task, go right ahead.  

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

I know you could get a pci card with m.2 slots on it. However, I'm not sure you will get performance above a natively supported m.2 motherboard as usually this is PCIe and not Sata. I think LTT did a video about a year ago on m.2 expansion pci e card. Not sure if that helps. 

1 hour ago, Sharif said:

I see! I do have SSD, but I also need that raw write speeds for reasons I am not going to disclose -- and it would come handy.

PC Specs: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 12GB | 32x2GB G Skill 3600Mhz | TUF Gaming X570-PLUS

18 hours ago, iiTzSander said:

I see! I do have SSD, but I also need that raw write speeds for reasons I am not going to disclose -- and it would come handy.

You answered your own question! 

Congrats and good luck with whatever you are going to cook with that

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M ||