AMD FX or Intel Core i5

Hello people! First Post woot!. Anyways im stuck in the middle between two choices. Basically i want to upgrade from my AMD ATHLON X4 760K. In My fav game ( which will shock a few of you) battlefield 4, I get FPS drops on 64 man servers and around 70% GPU usage most of the time on my MSI R9 270X.

SYSTEM SPECS

EVGA 600B PSU

MSI R9 270X 2G GAMING

AMD ATHLON X4 760K Clocked @ 4.5Ghz

8GB 1600Mhz RAM @CL11

COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO

So i have a windows 8 key already and am wondering which is the better options for games like Battlefield 4, TITANFALL, DayZ, COD5 Etc. Im thinking the Intel due to Better single thread which will help alot in Dayz but i need more input!

So here are the Choices

INTEL

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/129Wg
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/129Wg/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/129Wg/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£103.04 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £265.03
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-15 12:21 GMT+0000)

AMD

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/m155
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/m155/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/m155/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor  (£131.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  (£99.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £231.98
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-15 12:21 GMT+0000)

I know the Intel is more but i can stretch for another week to save if its better.

Thanks Guys!

Danzas4321

EDIT: - Also, please dont start a war in the comments. i would like an objective and a non biased opinion. Thanks again :)

amd build+ a nice cpu cooler :)

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

I, personally, would go Intel has it has higher single threaded performance and a lot of games are poorly optimized for more than 4 cores, anyway... Also, Intel is great for any intense task such as video and photo editing if you ever decide to do that in the future.

I, personally, would go Intel has it has higher single threaded performance and a lot of games are poorly optimized for more than 4 cores, anyway... Also, Intel is great for any intense task such as video and photo editing if you ever decide to do that in the future.

8350 and 8320's beat i5's when it comes to editing. 

8350 and 8320's beat i5's when it comes to editing. 

Ugh where is my brain today, I keep thinking an i7 which isn't even remotely comparable in performance... Where is my brain today. Its late, yep, lets blame it on that.  :wacko:

AMD for awesome gaming and epic video editing and all the CPU heavy tasks

i bought the FX 8320 and i overclocked it myself and i save some money to get better CPU cooler like H100I

Manners Maketh Man

Basically guys i have already got a OK cooler in my Hyper 212 and also have good airflow in my case. My 760k at 1.5v and 4.5Ghz never goes over 65 degrees ( Max is 74 for FM2 CPu's) I really want to know which is a better choice for now and next few years. the Intel is what i see recommended in High end builds and around the $1000US mark or around the £800 range in UK. AMd seems to be below. Now i know i have a REALLY Budget AMD CPu so either would be a big improvement for me, but im just thinking for Dayz and single thread games will the i5 be alot better??? Also i forgot to mention Watch Dogs. Would that be Multithreaded? BEcause in benches it seems Bf4 uses 8 threads and the 4670k is level or better than the FX 8350 which is using all 8 cores :/ Im really stuck. Ive asked on several other sites too and it seems split down the middle.

I have used both, AMD and Intel CPU's - I use Intel as i had the money, but i would in your case go for the AMD not only will it work in sync with your GPU it also will give you the best bang for your price range! (PS Aria Pc's have had a lot of bad experiences with their customer services - I would stick with scan if i were you as when ever i have had to RMA they are great!) 

Freelancing Since 2012

Most of the future game will be optimized for more cores and the single threaded performance of fx-8320 or higher is enough for any older games. And with Mantle or Direct Mantle or Directx12 whatever it becomes will cpu bottlenecks anyway. So, I would suggest getting amd FX 8 core processor.

Fx-8320 Clocked@ 4.5Ghz, 2 * 4GB Corsair Vengeance Blue, 2 * Gigabyte rev1.0 R9 280x's, 2TB Seagate Drive, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 rev4.0 mobo, Fractal design Define R4 with SP120 High Performance Edition In the Side Panel, Corsair AX 860i, Corsair K60 Reds, Razor DeathAdder.

Still havent really got a final answer, guess i never will get one. Can soemone sum it up in like 3 lines? lol

Also, What will be the performance difference between FX and i5 in Dayz and games like that?

No Problems - AMD FX

Reason 1 - More processing power/more cores (better power to price)

Reason 2 - It should work in sync with your GPU as they are both AMD to get better performance

Reason 3 - newer games should start making use of this type of architect 

Freelancing Since 2012

Please correct me if im wrong but from a little googling ive found that

1. The cores are worse in cokparrison and it has a weird structure and in benches and games they seem pretty close to each other. Im just a gamer so the extra cores wont make much difference to me as i only game, no rendering and stuff.

2 - never heard of Amd working better with Amd, ive seen people pair Nvida with AMd and Intel with AMd and have no issues, my friend recently did the same with his i5 by getting a r9 270 as it was great bang/buck

3. kinda agree :P

you are right the cores are not AS good in comparison, but think this is an 8 core and the closest 8 core for intel is the i7 which is alot more, There is no issue with Pairing, but i know AMD were working on some pairing so theres actually a small boost in performance when running amd CPU and GPU but im sorry im not sure much beyond that. I would go for the 8 core if it were me even though is only for gaming because although you dont now, if you want to try anything like rendering later you have the cores to back it up, or maybe streaming :)

Freelancing Since 2012

Ive never really had an interest in streaming or anything :P. I might go either way still, although i doubt it. I will probably end up going intel as its only £30 more

To me it comes down to this;

AMD:

Cheaper (Better price/performance)

Compared to the i5 there's not that much power difference, to me anyway

So basically you have to decide whether the extra $$$ is worth the (minor) improvement, to you.

And in games like Battlefield 4, the 8350 chip will perform better.

Edit: And as mentioned earlier, this might be more often the case in future games. Due to the design of the chip.

My opinion: not worth it

It is said, that civilised man seeks out good and intelligent company, so that through learned discourse he may rise above the savage and closer to God. Personally, however, I like to start the day with a total dickhead to remind me I'm best! 

Just remember the total clock speed before you do - the i5 is only going to have a total clock of about 12.8 GHz - The AMD will have roughly double that :D In application i know it wont work like that but yer, you will get good performance either way you go :)

Freelancing Since 2012

To me it comes down to this;

AMD:

Cheaper (Better price/performance)

Compared to the i5 there's not that much power difference, to me anyway

So basically you have to decide whether the extra $$$ is worth the (minor) improvement, to you.

And in games like Battlefield 4, the 8350 chip will perform better.

Edit: And as mentioned earlier, this might be more often the case in future games. Due to the design of the chip.

My opinion: not worth it

In BF4 ive seen that although it uses all 8 cores the intel is just as fast

Core I5. It's just too risky move to go AMD again and change the whole platform, when you have fps drops (wich many people reported on fx 8core.). Bear in mind that 760K is very similar to FX but laks the L3 cache. But IF you need moar cores at the risk of having the same issues at that game, do it! But again...

bear_in_mind_comic.jpg

I personally noticed too some weird behavior in some games, for example

AC IV: Did a very high leap of faith into the wather. Sometimes is freezes for a sec instead of showing the water splashing.

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

The AM3+ socket is an outdated platform with 3rd party chips crammed onto it to provide "modern" features like USB3 and the FX8350 consumes much more power compared to the I5. The Intel 1150 definately is the more modern platform and the I5 4670k outperforms the FX8350 in most tasks except video editing and there it only performs slightly better. In most games the I5 is a much better performer due to the better single threaded performance so that it "just works", while the FX8350 relies much more on software support - add to that the fact that the CPU and mainboard architecture is pretty old and that AMD shows no signs of renewing their high performance CPU lineup which makes the FX8350 an even riskier choice. AMD is much more focused on APUs and low end platforms while higher end PC gaming is second in line if it's not completely abandoned at all. With that in mind I'm not so enthusiastic about 3rd party support for Mantle, especially with a revised OpenGL, Steam OS and Directx12 waiting in the wings.

So yeah, I'd definately go for the I5.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Intel best price/performance ratio

AMD best price/corecount/useless ratio

Anyways youre playing Dayz, Intel is much better here. Just get an i5 and a matx board that should cost you around 220$ much better for its price.