BadVolf Kelton Case - changed my mind!

BadVolf

It will be interesting to know your opinions since the initial draft of my case I put on here. For you that don't know me, I am an American living in Russia, and I design computer cases for very interesting projects. You can check out my builds on PC PartPicker under Dugn8r. Anyways, I originally was going to build a case entirely from Titanium, which I still plan to do, but the process I used to design and create is is incredibly time consuming (22 machine hours just to make the rear panel) and expensive  (TI costs 5 times as much for materials an machining) and it requires me to build a certain number of cases. And for this reason, I starting with 10mm thick, 7075-T3 aircraft-grade aluminum. Not that I am complaining... aluminum is going to be absolutely gorgeous. And don't think Mac Pro - that construction is trash in comparison. it was also going to be SFX form factor, but I changed my mind and put in the extra effort to find the room for a full size ATX.

And the coolest part of it... All the cables are hidden within the thickness of the metal panels, so there will be no power or front-panel cables visible, unless you have x-ray vision.

The first draft I made, someone didn't like the side cover screws. Which got me thinking... there should be no screws visible at all, not even on the BACK. And the back panel needs to be as absolutely gorgeous as the front. And with that in mind, I think the back is going to be even more gorgeous... simply because it's so incredibly intricate. As I said, the rear panel took a FULL 24 hours on a CNC machine to create. Oh, and they said it was understated. I did what I could to change that. I posted a video of the manufacturing process, so check out my profile. Here is the final overall design:

1813528910_BadVolfKelton13.thumb.jpg.2c26e8fc222f652f27807e78461e02c3.jpg

708136114_BadVolfKelton12.thumb.jpg.2ebcbb932c7b8849173e29b7159dd134.jpg

105219110_BadVolfKelton.thumb.jpg.f9c7350c27216365bc5548f69ee3d1a5.jpg

This last one is what it will look like if I plate electroplate it with nickel.

Just for reference, here are some specifications: Construction: Top, bottom, front and rear body panels are 10mm thick 7075 T3 aerospace grade aluminum billet. The right cover and motherboard tray is 3mm thick 7075 T3 aerospace grade aluminum billet. The left cover will be tempered glass Width:270 mm (10.6in) Height: 438mm (17.2 in) Depth: 402mm (15.8 in) Weight 8.5kg (18.3 lbs)

Form Factor: Up to EATX PSU - ATX Can fit any GPU on the market 4 140mm fans + 240mm radiator Can hold 4 HDDs or 8 SSDs.

BadVolf Kelton 7.jpg

BadVolf Kelton 8.jpg

BadVolf Kelton 9.jpg

BadVolf Kelton 11.jpg

BadVolf Kelton 14.jpg

It's not the style of case I'd want, but I can understand, why someone might want to have it. You do you. Nonetheless, I'm intersted in the irl version. CAD always looks a bit  different.

Btw, you wouldn't even be able to see the cables with X-ray vision. Metals, X-rays and physics stuff...

7 minutes ago, startrek03 said:

It's not the style of case I'd want, but I can understand, why someone might want to have it. You do you. Nonetheless, I'm intersted in the irl version. CAD always looks a bit  different.

Btw, you wouldn't even be able to see the cables with X-ray vision. Metals, X-rays and physics stuff...

Ahh, but Superman could seen through all metals except for lead. 😉 

I have the beginning of the making posted in video, so you can look on my profile and visit my channel. 

4 minutes ago, BadVolf said:

Ahh, but Superman could seen through all metals except for lead. 😉 

I have the beginning of the making posted in video, so you can look on my profile and visit my channel. 

Yeah, you're probably somewhat right there. Aluminium is way more transmissive than lead. However, I still don't think visibility would be that good behind a 1cm thick chunk of aluminium...

10mm thick panels seems....  beyond excessive.

Also, you're talking about a fucking BRICK of a case for weight.  And Aluminum is an inexpensive metal, in comparison to some, but you're going to have a lot of it, and it will be...  pricey.

13 minutes ago, tkitch said:

10mm thick panels seems....  beyond excessive.

Also, you're talking about a fucking BRICK of a case for weight.  And Aluminum is an inexpensive metal, in comparison to some, but you're going to have a lot of it, and it will be...  pricey.

There's a reason for 10mm. I wanted it to have depth. There are contours where the vents are located that you can't do with a thin material. Also, I want to be able to hide all of the wires within the body so when you look, you see nothing but beautiful metal. 

Here is an update, making too the top panel. I decided since it was such thick aluminum, I was going to turn the entire case into a water radiator. And so, I an milling channel also  where water enters, and then it is split in two streams where it slows down and enters a turbulent state to get an even temperature before it passes over a series of fins, moving slowly so they can absorb the most Heat. In the water is accelerated to the next chamber where repeats the process and then exits the top of the case. This tiny little case will have the same cooling ability as 3 280mm radiators. 

Here is a photo milling out the water channels. You can see the fins beginning to be cut. There are many holes because there will be a  10mm lexan cover that matches the exact shape as the water channel, including the turbulator extrusions for excellent heat exchange. You can see these airfoil-shaped extrusions are in a break between the fins, and are at a slight angle splitting the channels. As water comes through the channel, it will decelerate and begin traveling through the fins. the water will be constantly mixes as it travels through the channel, which will allow the fins to absorb the most heat. The water will then be accelerated into the next chamber, there the process will repeat. The bottom panel will also contain the same system. Additional read will be dissipated by contact with the front and rear panels. The total thermal efficiency of this system will be equivalent to about 3 280mm radiators. 

DSC03520.thumb.JPG.4c7666fe392919dc6b72d446f5daefde.JPG

Here are a few more photos of the panels' water chambers and turbulator extrusions, but not yet the fins. IMG_20201208_205946.thumb.jpg.c691b3b8f9c14b4fbc0211a472ddffe2.jpgSAVE_20201208_234137.thumb.jpg.02627c118d28981bb62afc203800345f.jpg

IMG_20201208_205950.thumb.jpg.03cbe233bd5f8be8671f3df94421c1e8.jpg