iPhone 6s goodbye review - 2020

Ashleyyyy

Introduction 

It’s been almost exactly a year since I’ve bought my iPhone 6s, and for a €130 phone at the time it’s served me very well, although it’s now getting replaced with an iPhone SE. this will be a reflection on the past year using this phone and the reasons why i'm upgrading. 

Why did I stop using it?

Basically, it started developing faults. The silencer switch is broken, the touchscreen messes up sometimes and you have to lock the phone and unlock it to make it behave, the touchid forgets my fingerprints relatively quickly for some reason and worst of all the lightning port has become very loose. 

Now, some of these things have been present (in less severe occurrences) since I’ve had it, but it’s gotten to the point where it can be irritating to use it sometimes. 

Especially the charging port thing. My phone lays next to my pillow at night playing YouTube video’s, and I’ve had the charging port stop working in the middle of the night a few times now, causing the battery to die and my alarm not going off in the morning, which obviously causes issues. 

Was it still good besides the faults?

Yeah. If it didn’t develop the faults it has I would not have replaced it. Mind you, it’ll still be a secondary device. I’m still gonna use it for YouTube in bed and stuff, it just won’t be my alarm clock anymore for obvious reasons. It will also be used for random apps that I don’t want on my main phone for clutter/storage reasons and I’ll probably use it for bluetooth music playback and stuff when I go out so I don’t strain my SE’s battery too much. It’s gonna basically be an iPod Touch for me now. And for that it’s still fine. It still feels speedy and responsive during most tasks, it’s certainly not annoyingly slow. 

Is the 6s still a good buy in 2020?

Yes, if you can find one for cheap and it’s not faulty. It’s still fast enough for most uses, and with a new battery it still lasts a decent while. Avoid the 16gb model though, it’s useless. 

Conclusion

I’ve really enjoyed using this phone for the past year, and if I didn’t have a good opportunity to upgrade (got a new phone contract with an SE) I wouldn’t have replaced it, but instead got the lightning port fixed. But, since I had the opportunity to upgrade I thought I might as well. 

Still though, this is a great phone still and the last iPhone with a headphone jack, which I’m sure matters to some people, and still a good buy if you find one for a very good price.

She/Her

I loved my 6s until the mobile antenna started acting up. Since the X just came out and the repair would be expensive, I upgraded rather than fixing it.

I also would not have replaced it if it wasnt broken :D

My Gaming PC:
Inno3D iChill Black - RTX 4080 - +500 Memory, undervolted Core, 2xCorsair QX120 (push) + 2xInno3D 120mm (pull)
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D - NZXT x72
G.SKILL Trident Z @6000MHz CL30 - 2x16GB
Asus Strix X670E-E Gaming

1x500GB Samsung 960 Pro (Windows 11)

1x2TB Kingston KC3000 (Games)

1x1TB WD Blue SN550 (Programs)

1x1TB Samsung 870 EVO (Programs)
Corsair RM-850X

Lian Li O11 Vision
ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM (240hz OLED), MSI Optix MAG274QRFDE-QD, BenQ ZOWIE XL2720

Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Wooting 60HE

Audeze LCD2-C + FiiO K3

Klipsch RP600-M + Klipsch R-120 SW

My Notebook:

MacBook Pro 16 M1 - 16GB

Proxmox-Cluster:

• Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus Strix X570E F-Gaming, 2x32GB3200MHz ECC, 2x 512GB NVMe ZFS-Mirror (Boot + Testing-VMs), 2x14TB ZFS-Mirror + 1x3TB (TrueNAS-VM), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 10G NIC
  • i7 8700k delidded undervolted, Gigabyte Z390 UD, 4x16GB 3200MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC
  • i5 4670, 3x4GB + 1x8GB 1600MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC

Proxmox-Backup-Server:

• i5 4670, 4x4GB 1600MHz, 2x2TB ZFS-Mirror, 2,5G NIC

37 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

Introduction 

It’s been almost exactly a year since I’ve bought my iPhone 6s, and for a €130 phone at the time it’s served me very well, although it’s now getting replaced with an iPhone SE. this will be a reflection on the past year using this phone and the reasons why i'm upgrading. 

Why did I stop using it?

Basically, it started developing faults. The silencer switch is broken, the touchscreen messes up sometimes and you have to lock the phone and unlock it to make it behave, the touchid forgets my fingerprints relatively quickly for some reason and worst of all the lightning port has become very loose. 

Now, some of these things have been present (in less severe occurrences) since I’ve had it, but it’s gotten to the point where it can be irritating to use it sometimes. 

Especially the charging port thing. My phone lays next to my pillow at night playing YouTube video’s, and I’ve had the charging port stop working in the middle of the night a few times now, causing the battery to die and my alarm not going off in the morning, which obviously causes issues. 

Was it still good besides the faults?

Yeah. If it didn’t develop the faults it has I would not have replaced it. Mind you, it’ll still be a secondary device. I’m still gonna use it for YouTube in bed and stuff, it just won’t be my alarm clock anymore for obvious reasons. It will also be used for random apps that I don’t want on my main phone for clutter/storage reasons and I’ll probably use it for bluetooth music playback and stuff when I go out so I don’t strain my SE’s battery too much. It’s gonna basically be an iPod Touch for me now. And for that it’s still fine. It still feels speedy and responsive during most tasks, it’s certainly not annoyingly slow. 

Is the 6s still a good buy in 2020?

Yes, if you can find one for cheap and it’s not faulty. It’s still fast enough for most uses, and with a new battery it still lasts a decent while. Avoid the 16gb model though, it’s useless. 

Conclusion

I’ve really enjoyed using this phone for the past year, and if I didn’t have a good opportunity to upgrade (got a new phone contract with an SE) I wouldn’t have replaced it, but instead got the lightning port fixed. But, since I had the opportunity to upgrade I thought I might as well. 

Still though, this is a great phone still and the last iPhone with a headphone jack, which I’m sure matters to some people, and still a good buy if you find one for a very good price.

My mom is still rocking the 6s. Yesterday she asked me to take a picture (and that took 1 minute) and in that time frame her battery went down 8%

The battery has aged horribly, she gets 2 hours of battery life if shes lucky.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

2 minutes ago, Downkey said:

My mom is still rocking the 6s. Yesterday she asked me to take a picture (and that took 1 minute) and in that time frame her battery went down 8%

The battery has aged horribly, she gets 2 hours of battery life if shes lucky.

mine had that too when i bought it, i got it replaced and now it's fine. 

She/Her

12 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

mine had that too when i bought it, i got it replaced and now it's fine. 

We were going too do that, but literally 10 minutes after I wrote that my dad ordered my mom and sister an 11! Im going to stick with my 2016 se for another year and then get the 12 mini. I'm not going to replace the battery tho

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

15 hours ago, Noah0302 said:

I loved my 6s until the mobile antenna started acting up. Since the X just came out and the repair would be expensive, I upgraded rather than fixing it.

I also would not have replaced it if it wasnt broken :D

Have you considered you might be holding it wrong

/s

R9 3900x, 32gb 3200mhz corsair dominator RGB, 1070Ti Founders Edition, HP 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD

5 hours ago, Nerdom said:

/s

jokes aside, the antenna's are on the outside (the lines on the back of the phone) and you can theoretically break them, if you drop it hard enough to break them for example or not make good contact. 

She/Her

On 12/1/2020 at 6:09 AM, Nerdom said:

/s

Haha, wasnt that the whole iPhone 4 fiasco?

My Gaming PC:
Inno3D iChill Black - RTX 4080 - +500 Memory, undervolted Core, 2xCorsair QX120 (push) + 2xInno3D 120mm (pull)
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D - NZXT x72
G.SKILL Trident Z @6000MHz CL30 - 2x16GB
Asus Strix X670E-E Gaming

1x500GB Samsung 960 Pro (Windows 11)

1x2TB Kingston KC3000 (Games)

1x1TB WD Blue SN550 (Programs)

1x1TB Samsung 870 EVO (Programs)
Corsair RM-850X

Lian Li O11 Vision
ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM (240hz OLED), MSI Optix MAG274QRFDE-QD, BenQ ZOWIE XL2720

Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Wooting 60HE

Audeze LCD2-C + FiiO K3

Klipsch RP600-M + Klipsch R-120 SW

My Notebook:

MacBook Pro 16 M1 - 16GB

Proxmox-Cluster:

• Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus Strix X570E F-Gaming, 2x32GB3200MHz ECC, 2x 512GB NVMe ZFS-Mirror (Boot + Testing-VMs), 2x14TB ZFS-Mirror + 1x3TB (TrueNAS-VM), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 10G NIC
  • i7 8700k delidded undervolted, Gigabyte Z390 UD, 4x16GB 3200MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC
  • i5 4670, 3x4GB + 1x8GB 1600MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC

Proxmox-Backup-Server:

• i5 4670, 4x4GB 1600MHz, 2x2TB ZFS-Mirror, 2,5G NIC

7 hours ago, Noah0302 said:

Haha, wasnt that the whole iPhone 4 fiasco?

Yep. Apple's PR had a fun time

R9 3900x, 32gb 3200mhz corsair dominator RGB, 1070Ti Founders Edition, HP 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD