Asus Laptop Screen Dead?

Hello all!  Hope you're having a fantastic day!

I have an Asus VivoBook laptop (Model is F150U) and the screen suddenly and mysteriously faded to black while I was using it, and it won't light back up. I'm trying to narrow down the issue here, and I could use some help.

• The screen is completely off, not backlit or anything.
  • Brightening or dimming the screen doesn't change anything (It never had the ability to darken 100% btw).
  • The laptop still runs like normal, and if I plug in an HDMI for an external display, that external monitor shows the display just fine.  
  • Nothing else seems to be effected, including the audio.
  • I disassembled the screen and was able to plug-and-unplug the cable connected to it, and that had no effect.  

So my question is: should I drop 70 bucks on a replacement screen?  Before I spend the money, I was wondering if there might be any other problem that might be causing this, like RAM, a faulty pin, or something?  I thought I would ask others more qualified than I am!

This very well might not be in any way useful:

My first thought is a broken ribbon cable, but that might mean a whole panel.  I don’t know how stuff is packaged.  All I’ve got to compare this to myself is old psion5s that had that problem.  That wasn’t even really a laptop though.  The cable was separate from the screen in those though. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Do you mean the cable connecting the motherboard and the lcd screen?  I was worried about that as well.  The cable is a lot harder to access for for laptops; mine is wrapped with other cords, and I doubt I could neatly stitch it all back together if I replaced it.

However, even if I couldn't make everything fit perfectly back together, I bet an LCD cable would be a lot cheaper, and that would help diagnose the problem.

At this point, I'm considering just keeping my laptop permanently connected to another monitor, so having an awkward cable sticking out wouldn't concern me.  

2 hours ago, EzraKiteck said:

Do you mean the cable connecting the motherboard and the lcd screen?  I was worried about that as well.  The cable is a lot harder to access for for laptops; mine is wrapped with other cords, and I doubt I could neatly stitch it all back together if I replaced it.

However, even if I couldn't make everything fit perfectly back together, I bet an LCD cable would be a lot cheaper, and that would help diagnose the problem.

At this point, I'm considering just keeping my laptop permanently connected to another monitor, so having an awkward cable sticking out wouldn't concern me.  

That was what repetitively failed on psion5s.  The question becomes what parts comes with a replacement panel, and what parts come with a replacement top.  These are things I don’t have answers for.  If there are a bunch of cables going through the hinge to the back there’s more in the device top than the panel. Probably a camera for one, just assuming. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.