9900k wont do 5ghz unless at 1.4v???

Jstagzsr

So did i just get a remarkably bad cpu or am i doing something wrong? i followed msi's guide to a T.. but their 1.32v didnt have my stable.. with and without xmp enabled i have tried 1.320, 1.325, 1.330, 1.335, 1.336, 1.400.. and now for this first time when i clicked the XTU benchmark button i didnt crash within a few seconds. XTU got 3357 marks. So i also tried Cinebench R15.. all is well.. got some PB scores.. so normally id say thats great.. 1978 R15 cpu score, and 187.18 openGL score.. But my temps hit 90 degrees C and the package tdp hit 201W.. It was only for a quick second then dropped and fluctuated all over the place and i know gaming inst quite as intensive as some benchmarks.. But i still feel like this is way too high.. Some people online are at 5.3ghz with their 9900k at 1.3V.. I'm hopeing someone has an answer other than what i know the reality is.. i got a dud cpu.. like bottom 20% C rated bottom of the barrel cpu.. What the hell.. Intel says the 9900k max vcore is 1.52V but im getting dangerous temps and 1.4, so no thanks..

Someone give me some good news plz

Yeah, it's a little high. 1.35 - 1.40 is a ball park 5ghz figure. I'd be using 1.40v when running Cache closer to 4.9-5ghz+ though. So it doesn't sound super abnormal this voltage. 1.40. It's about the v-core limit of most decent coolers out there though.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Yeah, it's a little high. 1.35 - 1.40 is a ball park 5ghz figure. I'd be using 1.40v when running Cache closer to 4.9-5ghz+ though. So it doesn't sound super abnormal this voltage. 1.40. It's about the v-core limit of most decent coolers out there though.

i have a 360mm AIO. That high voltage is gonna jump that die up super high though too quickly for any cooler to have any immediate effect.. Super bad design having to go through all the layers.. die, thermal paste, ihs, thermal paste, copper plate, water, tubes, radiator, air..... lol. We need to figure a better way to cool cpu dies.

2 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Did you try to add some LLC?

i have it set to "auto"

1 hour ago, Jstagzsr said:

likely just silicon lottery if you are sure about the load settings. 200w on a 360 aio should be fine. 

BTW there aren't 1.3v 5.3 chips out there for 24/7 use, don't trust random benches online. 5.2 avx 1.35v was top 2%, and that was before the 9900ks binning ruined the 9900k.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

2 minutes ago, xg32 said:

likely just silicon lottery if you are sure about the load settings. 200w on a 360 aio should be fine. 

BTW there aren't 1.3v 5.3 chips out there for 24/7 use, don't trust random benches online. 5.2 avx 1.35v was top 2%, and that was before the 9900ks binning ruined the 9900k.

I was referring to something someone posted in a forum, but yeah youre right they definitely couldve been full of shit. top 2%? cot damn.. They were PROBABLY full of shit..

1 hour ago, Jstagzsr said:

Cinebench R15

Time to retire R15. Use Cinebench R20 or R23 instead. The newer versions are compiled to take advantage of the AVX instruction set that the 9900K supports. 

Cinebench R20 

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/maxon-cinebench/

Cinebench R23

https://www.maxon.net/en/downloads

Scroll halfway down the page at Maxon for the Cinebench R23 download link. 

For 24/7 use, maybe you will have to stay with all cores at 4.9 GHz. When you have an 8 core CPU with hyperthreading, a 2% difference in CPU speed is not exactly something you are ever going to notice. 

4 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

Time to retire R15. Use Cinebench R20 or R23 instead. The newer versions are compiled to take advantage of the AVX instruction set that the 9900K supports. 

Cinebench R20 

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/maxon-cinebench/

Cinebench R23

https://www.maxon.net/en/downloads

Scroll halfway down the page at Maxon for the Cinebench R23 download link. 

For 24/7 use, maybe you will have to stay with all cores at 4.9 GHz. When you have an 8 core CPU with hyperthreading, a 2% difference in CPU speed is not exactly something you are ever going to notice. 

i have R20, i didnt even know there WAS an R23.. Interesting.

I would try to back down on the voltage and carefully see how it responds to a little LLC and if the temps remain fine I would try to bump it up. 

I would try to back down on the voltage and carefully see how it responds to a little LLC and if the temps remain fine I would try to bump it up. 

Where do i begin with LLC? whats the starting point?

9 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

Where do i begin with LLC? whats the starting point?

The lowest setting. For my ROG Asus board the lowest setting is regular, the highest is Extreme. I advice you not to use the highest setting.

If you don't know what LLC does is that it combats vdroop. When your CPU comes under load temp goes up and the VRM reduces the current (v) to the CPU to keep temps under control. The problem when you OC is that the current drops down to unstable levels and it is this that LLC is meant to counter.

If you enable LLC you will see different temps, so best to save your current profile and back down on current and clock speed and be sure to monitor those temps as you go along. After you backed down add the lowest level of LLC and see how it reacts (temps, stability) and increase from there. If you can't get it stable later at higher speed try to increase the LLC a level, but DONT go to the highest level.

My previous board (also Asus) had some weird things going on with LLC. It appeared to only disable or enable it and when enabled it appeared to be extreme level so I couldn't use it. My CPU would shut down before Windows loaded due to the high temp so watch out for any weird behavior.

The lowest setting. For my ROG Asus board the lowest setting is regular, the highest is Extreme. I advice you not to use the highest setting.

If you don't know what LLC does is that it combats vdroop. When your CPU comes under load temp goes up and the VRM reduces the current (v) to the CPU to keep temps under control. The problem when you OC is that the current drops down to unstable levels and it is this that LLC is meant to counter.

If you enable LLC you will see different temps, so best to save your current profile and back down on current and clock speed and be sure to monitor those temps as you go along. After you backed down add the lowest level of LLC and see how it reacts (temps, stability) and increase from there. If you can't get it stable later at higher speed try to increase the LLC a level, but DONT go to the highest level.

My previous board (also Asus) had some weird things going on with LLC. It appeared to only disable or enable it and when enabled it appeared to be extreme level so I couldn't use it. My CPU would shut down before Windows loaded due to the high temp so watch out for any weird behavior.

ok cool. I'll play with it. see what happens. Thanks for the info man

23 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

ok cool. I'll play with it. see what happens. Thanks for the info man

You're welcome buddy, good luck. 👍

4 hours ago, Jstagzsr said:

i have a 360mm AIO. That high voltage is gonna jump that die up super high though too quickly for any cooler to have any immediate effect.. Super bad design having to go through all the layers.. die, thermal paste, ihs, thermal paste, copper plate, water, tubes, radiator, air..... lol. We need to figure a better way to cool cpu dies.

It's transistor density. 

v-core leakage happens from heat.

Ways around it.

Cut cores

Cut HT threads

Better cooler.

Lid-less 

Chiller

SS

and beyond.

Just depends on your goals. 

There's a line to cross between a daily gamer and an enthusiast. Most people stand at the edge, but never really take the plunge. I guess what I'm trying to say is that a bucket of Ice water can actually go a long way. It's not practical, but you beat the other guy's score, and that was one of the main purposes of benchmarks and competitive overclocking.

This forum has "Post your score" . But there's not a section for benchmarking with sometimes limitations to cooling because there's many that use SS units and even some with their daily rigs. Then it actually becomes a competition. Occasionally you can bench for hardware, prizes ect. Then you've gotten into a hobby that's beyond average daily computing, you find yourself volt modding and pin modding. 

The rabbit hole goes pretty deep. 

For you, 4.8ghz (or w/e is comfy) on a manageable voltage and temp and just run it. 

4 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

It's transistor density. 

v-core leakage happens from heat.

Ways around it.

Cut cores

Cut HT threads

Better cooler.

Lid-less 

Chiller

SS

and beyond.

Just depends on your goals. 

There's a line to cross between a daily gamer and an enthusiast. Most people stand at the edge, but never really take the plunge. I guess what I'm trying to say is that a bucket of Ice water can actually go a long way. It's not practical, but you beat the other guy's score, and that was one of the main purposes of benchmarks and competitive overclocking.

This forum has "Post your score" . But there's not a section for benchmarking with sometimes limitations to cooling because there's many that use SS units and even some with their daily rigs. Then it actually becomes a competition. Occasionally you can bench for hardware, prizes ect. Then you've gotten into a hobby that's beyond average daily computing, you find yourself volt modding and pin modding. 

The rabbit hole goes pretty deep. 

For you, 4.8ghz (or w/e is comfy) on a manageable voltage and temp and just run it. 

Yeah i keep up on a few different peopel who are always doing crazy mods for performance. I wouldnt mind getting into it but not on this particular rig. This is my daily driver.. and i dont think Liquid Nitrogen cooled 7ghz cpu is really necessary for watching youtube videos. lol. well, depends how many chrome tabs you want open at a time. lmao.