Why 5400 RPM past 2TB on most drives

TheawesomeMCB
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

Lower rpm can allow for lower power consumption, lower temps, less noise, and less wear. 

Larger drives perform well enough due to higher areal density so the extra bit of performance from higher rpm is arguably less valuable than the advantages listed above. 

So I've been looking to replace the HDD in my computer because of the amount of noise it makes. However I've noticed something that I don't fully understand. Popular drives from seagate and the WD Blue (Past 1 TB for WD and Past 2TB for seagate) have their RPM slowed down to 5400 RPM and their cache lowered. However I don't see too many complaints. But with the Black friday deal of 4TB 5400 RPM for the WD Blue it's a really good deal but I don't understand. Drives like the wd black gaming drive is 4tb but it's $120 on black friday and has 4x the cache and 7200 RPM, so why isn't it the 7200 like most drives on the market past 2TB?

Lower rpm can allow for lower power consumption, lower temps, less noise, and less wear. 

Larger drives perform well enough due to higher areal density so the extra bit of performance from higher rpm is arguably less valuable than the advantages listed above. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Generally large capacity HDDs are meant for long term storage, like in a NAS or Server. A lower RPM makes them last longer, consume less power.

Because you don't see any obvious improvement with 7200rpm in these high density drive.

And plus, Spinning slower means low heat.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Ahhh that makes sense, thanks!