not getting full use out of gpu, advice please?

ant666_2
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
1 minute ago, ant666_2 said:

it would but i would need an intrim cpu as the 3700 needs a higher bios thanis supported for the cpu i currently have
asrock x370 killer. after 3.5 it recomends against upgraiding for my series cpu

Not recommended but it is capable of running the 1600 in order to update the BIOS. There are just concerns over stability when gaming.

Just now, ant666_2 said:

yeah sorry to have bothered you all, i relised i had a MS flight sim downloading in the background that was using quite alot of resorces i killed that and am now hitting 99% usage with 80+FPS

feel like an idiot for such a simple over sight

Well if the performance is to your standards then the upgrade wouldn't be necessary

Hi i am trying to play Far Cry 4 with max settings using my 2070s how ever it never goes above 60% usage

full system:
R5 1600 (not the AF model) OC to 3.8

msi 2070S gaming x trio
16gb 3000 CL16
x370 chipset
650W psu
game is running of a sata 3 ssd

i thought that i would beable to hit 144 frames no problem if the gpu would push harder

i have attached a screen shot of my RIVA overlay

My worry is that i have a bottle neck going on, this will be resolved though as in the new year i will have enough to upgrade the board and cpu (RAM will follow a few months later)

Thank you 

Far Cry® 42020-11-24-13-59-5.jpg

The CPU is listed as only 60% usage in that screenshot, but I bet 8 of its 12 threads are at 100% and the rest aren't doing much

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

to me it looks like that cpu is not going above 60%. have you confirmed your OC is working properly and it's running at the correct clockspeed?

She/Her

3 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Does your monitor support 120/144 Hz?

yeah it supports 144 msi mag241c it is a freesync monitor though

4 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

to me it looks like that cpu is not going above 60%. have you confirmed your OC is working properly and it's running at the correct clockspeed?

yeah hwinfo shows at 3.79

Just now, ant666_2 said:

yeah hwinfo shows at 3.79

ok, can you set the cpu usage graph in task manager to logical processors, so that it looks kinda like this: 

image.png.00f4d17e04f81d13c86452eba1e98611.png

and then launch the game and screenshot it?

She/Her

Just now, Ashley xD said:

ok, can you set the cpu usage graph in task manager to logical processors, so that it looks kinda like this: 

image.png.00f4d17e04f81d13c86452eba1e98611.png

and then launch the game and screenshot it?

image.png.1093d207cfc6ef222acb339bbc4f2997.png

2 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

That could be it - I don't know though.

I don't know much about monitors yet.

rdr2 works fine the GPU flicks around 97-99 usagae and cpu around 65ish

1 minute ago, Ashley xD said:

interesting... so that's not the issue either. 

@Fasauceomeany other ideas? it seems to be using all threads interestingly enough. 

im thinking it could maybe a poorly optimised game?

10 minutes ago, ant666_2 said:

image.png.1093d207cfc6ef222acb339bbc4f2997.png

One graph is basically at 100%, and a half the cores aren't doing much while the other half are doing all the work

7 minutes ago, ant666_2 said:

Well far cry runs better on Intel for some reason, even with core counts matching on ryzen vs Intel setups. But a newer ryzen CPU can handle far cry a lot better.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, ant666_2 said:

if that were the case it would only use 2 to 4 threads and leave the rest idle... 

it's unoptimized when it's dumping most of the load on 4 random threads while leaving the rest idle. 4K youtube video in chrome on my computer for reference here:

2139766296_Screenshot2020-11-24153123.png.cb508412f34332957d356f67ec1db820.png

She/Her

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

One graph is basically at 100%, and a half the cores aren't doing much while the other half are doing all the work

Well far cry runs better on Intel for some reason, even with core counts matching on ryzen vs Intel setups. But a newer ryzen CPU can handle far cry a lot better.

im looking into the 3700x with an X570, would that suffice? and be a decent pair with the 2070s?

2 minutes ago, ant666_2 said:

im looking into the 3700x with an X570, would that suffice? and be a decent pair with the 2070s?

Yeah it would offer some seriously improved performance, though I recommend looking into an update for your X370 motherboard to save money, since your motherboard could be totally fine (though you didn't list the model)

Primary PC:

Just now, Fasauceome said:

Yeah it would offer some seriously improved performance, though I recommend looking into an update for your X370 motherboard to save money, since your motherboard could be totally fine (though you didn't list the model)

it would but i would need an intrim cpu as the 3700 needs a higher bios thanis supported for the cpu i currently have

yeah sorry to have bothered you all, i relised i had a MS flight sim downloading in the background that was using quite alot of resorces i killed that and am now hitting 99% usage with 80+FPS

1 minute ago, ant666_2 said:

Not recommended but it is capable of running the 1600 in order to update the BIOS. There are just concerns over stability when gaming.

Just now, ant666_2 said:

Well if the performance is to your standards then the upgrade wouldn't be necessary

Primary PC: