Microsoft Pluton processor? is this a thing?

whm1974

Reading this I have to wonder if this is a threat to Users Freedom to use their own hardware as they see fit:

https://www.microsoft.com/security/blog/2020/11/17/meet-the-microsoft-pluton-processor-the-security-chip-designed-for-the-future-of-windows-pcs/

Does anyone know anything more about Pluton? Pardon me but I sort of see this as a way to keep New PCs from letting Other OSes able to be installed.

It is for safety they say, but it's made by many companies. I didn't see if it's x86 even. Anyway good conversation point

3 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

It is for safety they say, but it's made by many companies. I didn't see if it's x86 even. Anyway good conversation point

Yeah but is it a possible threat to prevent FOSS Users from installing Linux and other FOSS OSes? Or am I just merely being Paranoid?

Today, the heart of operating system security on most PCs lives in a chip separate from the CPU, called the Trusted Platform Module (TPM). The TPM is a hardware component which is used to help securely store keys and measurements that verify the integrity of the system. TPMs have been supported in Windows for more than 10 years and power many critical technologies such as Windows Hello and BitLocker. 

So are they finally going to make BitLocker available to all Windows 10 machines since the supporting hardware has always been there? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

6 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

So are they finally going to make BitLocker available to all Windows 10 machines since the supporting hardware has always been there? 

This may have more to do with DRM instead of actual Computer Security.

From the Verge, Microsoft's Pluton is not supposed to prevent Linux and other OSes from being installed. Wither or not this actually true remains to be seen as there are no new CPUs with this chip built in.

looks like they are just moving TPM, which has been around for ages.

Windows PCs using the Pluton architecture will first emulate a TPM that works with the existing TPM specifications and APIs, which will allow customers to immediately benefit from enhanced security for Windows features that rely on TPMs like BitLocker and System Guard.

and yes Microsoft does often mean IP protection when it speaks of security. Has been doing this since the days of "don't copy that floppy".

2 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Reading this I have to wonder if this is a threat to Users Freedom to use their own hardware as they see fit:

https://www.microsoft.com/security/blog/2020/11/17/meet-the-microsoft-pluton-processor-the-security-chip-designed-for-the-future-of-windows-pcs/

Does anyone know anything more about Pluton? Pardon me but I sort of see this as a way to keep New PCs from letting Other OSes able to be installed.

A T2 knockoff is here! Or rather, an imitation!

I believe this is mainly made to prevent modding of any kind, you really didn't think Microsoft likes people being able to tinker with files as they see fit? 

afaik they have their whole store locked down in such a way already, the rest of the OS will follow suit... 

Linux save us all! (lol never gonna happen though) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

never is a wrong term

linux will become competitive but it will take time

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I believe this is mainly made to prevent modding of any kind, you really didn't think Microsoft likes people being able to tinker with files as they see fit? 

afaik they have their whole store locked down in such a way already, the rest of the OS will follow suit... 

Well this may require folks to DIY Rig or by "White Box" PCs. You know the Bog Standard PC.