RTX 3080 memory overheats

Jjziets

I notice that my gigabyte rtx 3080 eagle oc will throttle even though the temperature looks fine.   

The best way to make it happen was to run ethminer. Is this something I should be concerned about? running blender or ffmpeg did not trigger it but I am worried this is a design issue. 

Should I return them and will that be a valid reason to return them? 

unnamed.png

• 4 weeks later...

Kinda late with response but

Basically all Gigabyte 3080 comes with horrible thermal pads and they are not only suitable for mining but even for games.

I found about it while waiting for 3080 Vision OC and by searching for issues related to this card. I end up finding Russian mining forum where users were sharing their experience with difference 3080 AIB and I Gigabyte cards had walls of negative reviews related to thermal pads and memory chips overheating. 

Personally I had no plans or intensions to mine on this card but the fact that it does have such widespread issues is pretty upsetting. I just went ahead and canceled my order.

• 1 month later...

I have a Gigabyte Vision OC which is basically identical to the Gaming and Eagle and had the same issues. I used a GELID 80x40X3mm pad on the backplate and a GELID 80X40X2mm pad on the front and kryonaut paste and have seen massive improvement to thermals (5-10c core) and stability of the card. The card no longer thermally throttles when mining (before it wouldnt even last 60 seconds before it completely throttled and was unusable), runs much cooler on the core and in games such as BFV I've even noticed improvements to stability. I can't say for sure if its related but before I added the pads my frame times would spike, creating barely noticeable stutters but measurable in afterburner. Now with the pads cooling the memory it seems to have gone and I get a consistent 20ms (ish) frametime with few spikes. Seems like the thermal pads and paste Gigabyte used are really really bad.

Any recommendations on which vendors dont have thermal issues?

Asus?

13 hours ago, Exidor said:

Any recommendations on which vendors dont have thermal issues?

Asus?

From what I understand if you are cranking memory speeds to mine eth then you will constantly be battling memory temps. You can make out fan speeds and add thermal pads to back plate (if it doesn't have any), etc. I am personally using water for mine and I seem to peak in the mid 50s which I though meant my block sucked, but apparently these memory modules are little fire starters.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2020 at 6:16 PM, Jjziets said:

I notice that my gigabyte rtx 3080 eagle oc will throttle even though the temperature looks fine.   

The best way to make it happen was to run ethminer. Is this something I should be concerned about? running blender or ffmpeg did not trigger it but I am worried this is a design issue. 

Should I return them and will that be a valid reason to return them? 

unnamed.png

You VRAM is overheating and it seems most, if not all, vendors have this issue.  I've found the best solution to this is to apply heatsinks to the backplate and aim a fan at them. Here's how to do it:

http://www.norbert-the-great.com/index.php?entry=Solved:-RTX-3090-VRAM-Overheating

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 5:47 AM, TheTreeHacker said:

I have a Gigabyte Vision OC which is basically identical to the Gaming and Eagle and had the same issues. I used a GELID 80x40X3mm pad on the backplate and a GELID 80X40X2mm pad on the front and kryonaut paste and have seen massive improvement to thermals (5-10c core) and stability of the card. The card no longer thermally throttles when mining (before it wouldnt even last 60 seconds before it completely throttled and was unusable), runs much cooler on the core and in games such as BFV I've even noticed improvements to stability. I can't say for sure if its related but before I added the pads my frame times would spike, creating barely noticeable stutters but measurable in afterburner. Now with the pads cooling the memory it seems to have gone and I get a consistent 20ms (ish) frametime with few spikes. Seems like the thermal pads and paste Gigabyte used are really really bad.

Hi! I have an eagle Oc 3080 from Gigabyte, and I just bought the exact same pads and thermal paste, do you have any photo or video of the process and where you placed the thermal pads? Any help would be appreciated.

On 1/27/2021 at 11:01 PM, Exidor said:

Any recommendations on which vendors don't have thermal issues?

Asus?

MY EVGA FTW3 3080 Ultra mines like a demon with all temps under control and reasonable fan speeds (65% at 24c in the below pic), mines at 100.5 MH/s. My Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC is a dog in comparison, mines at 83 MH/s. 

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

Ok.  So I just experimented a lot with this.  I have a 3080 Eagle and my VRAM temps were throttling 108-110 constantly while mining.  I tried to manage it with underclocks and fans but was getting a Hash around 80 MH/s, sometimes dipping into 70s.    I ordered 3mm and 2mm pads.  2mm got delayed in shipping so I decided to first do just the backplate which 3mm seems to fit well.   The only 3mm I could find were rated 6W/m.k.  I put them in opposite the ram and did notice an improvement.  The backplate was now getting hot so I could tell heat was transferring. This boosted my MH/s to around 84-85 but I was still getting throttling with 65%power, -200 core,  +800 memory.  Anything over 65% power seemed to throttle. 

Everything changed when the 2mm pads finally got here. Removing the old VRAM pads I was filled with hope as they were very oily and degraded.  I opted for the 2mm Iceberg Thermal DRIFTIce from Amazon rated 13W/mK.   Fired up my mining software and instant change.  Mining with my same 65%power, -200 core,  +800 memory settings I was sitting at 68 degrees!!!   

So I pushed the envelope 75% power, -200 core and +1150 mem and my hashrate is now 98MH/s with a steady memory temp of 80 degrees!  This was just yesterday and it's running stable.  I'm going to tweak the settings and really play with it but this 100% solved my problems.

TLDR:  3mm pads on backplate helped but swapping VRAM pads for 2mm high quality pads yielded huge gains.   98MH/s with max temps of 80 degrees and probably room to improve.

On 2/17/2021 at 11:58 AM, Zylon said:

Hi! I have an eagle Oc 3080 from Gigabyte, and I just bought the exact same pads and thermal paste, do you have any photo or video of the process and where you placed the thermal pads? Any help would be appreciated.

3mm pads position on the underside of the ram and backplate (blue in photo). On my gigabyte 3080 Eagle there were no pads here previously so these were new.    The 2mm pads (gray in photo) sit on top of the ram and contact the copper block.  When I opened my card the existing pads were degraded and oily and sticking to the copper block.  I took them off and used them to make stencils for cutting the new pads.  I cleaned the oil from the ram using coffee filters and a bit of 91% isopropyl alcohol. I also cleaned the old thermal paste off the block and gpu at this time.   I placed the newly cut pads right on top of the memory as then I could be sure they were in the perfect placement.   I applied grizzly thermal paste on the gpu and put it back together.  As you can see in the photo I didn't have a single piece of pad big enough for the bottom so I used two pieced so after I took the picture I used thermal paste on top to make it a nice even surface with no gaps.

20210215_191429.jpg

20210228_212322.jpg

20210228_221657.jpg

Thanks for these! planning to do this on my brother's Vision OC 3080 and probably my 3090 Gaming X trio as well just to further lower those pesky memory junction temps.

His 3080 has also been hitting 110c no matter what we do. My 3090 is relatively happy at 92C but i think can be further improved by Gelid 12w/mk pads. Can't wait for them to arrive!

R9 3900X | Strix B550F | Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16 | MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1300W

I dont know will it help, but on one of russian tech blog YT channel was shown dissamble of Gigabyte 3080 Aorus were thermal pads were melted and some oil was on card. Perhaps its a quality of this pads... or because it is from Russia,,, but still i didn't believe that it is possible... untill I opened this thread. Seems... with 3090 i will need to by additional pads for it. 

On 12/20/2020 at 3:57 PM, Zantomaku said:

Kinda late with response but

Basically all Gigabyte 3080 comes with horrible thermal pads and they are not only suitable for mining but even for games.

I found about it while waiting for 3080 Vision OC and by searching for issues related to this card. I end up finding Russian mining forum where users were sharing their experience with difference 3080 AIB and I Gigabyte cards had walls of negative reviews related to thermal pads and memory chips overheating. 

Personally I had no plans or intensions to mine on this card but the fact that it does have such widespread issues is pretty upsetting. I just went ahead and canceled my order.

Even the high end gigabyte 3080s like the Aorus Master and Extreme are having this issue? Or just the Eagle and Gaming?

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

On 1/27/2021 at 8:19 PM, AngryBeaver said:

From what I understand if you are cranking memory speeds to mine eth then you will constantly be battling memory temps. You can make out fan speeds and add thermal pads to back plate (if it doesn't have any), etc. I am personally using water for mine and I seem to peak in the mid 50s which I though meant my block sucked, but apparently these memory modules are little fire starters.

What about EVGA and ASUS? Seems like the TUF and Strix has some pretty over engineered cooling and looking at tear downs of them they seem to focus on VRAM as well.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 12:43 AM, BringerOfRayne said:

Ok.  So I just experimented a lot with this.  I have a 3080 Eagle and my VRAM temps were throttling 108-110 constantly while mining.  I tried to manage it with underclocks and fans but was getting a Hash around 80 MH/s, sometimes dipping into 70s.    I ordered 3mm and 2mm pads.  2mm got delayed in shipping so I decided to first do just the backplate which 3mm seems to fit well.   The only 3mm I could find were rated 6W/m.k.  I put them in opposite the ram and did notice an improvement.  The backplate was now getting hot so I could tell heat was transferring. This boosted my MH/s to around 84-85 but I was still getting throttling with 65%power, -200 core,  +800 memory.  Anything over 65% power seemed to throttle. 

Everything changed when the 2mm pads finally got here. Removing the old VRAM pads I was filled with hope as they were very oily and degraded.  I opted for the 2mm Iceberg Thermal DRIFTIce from Amazon rated 13W/mK.   Fired up my mining software and instant change.  Mining with my same 65%power, -200 core,  +800 memory settings I was sitting at 68 degrees!!!   

So I pushed the envelope 75% power, -200 core and +1150 mem and my hashrate is now 98MH/s with a steady memory temp of 80 degrees!  This was just yesterday and it's running stable.  I'm going to tweak the settings and really play with it but this 100% solved my problems.

TLDR:  3mm pads on backplate helped but swapping VRAM pads for 2mm high quality pads yielded huge gains.   98MH/s with max temps of 80 degrees and probably room to improve.

Per your post, there is a great probability that the problem does not lie in the lack of pads on backplate, but on bad heat tranfer to the copper plate due to poor quality pads that Gigabyte used on memories.

I'll try only replacing the front pads because I could not find any decent 3mm near where I live at a fair price. The few ones available are hugely overpriced.

But for front I bought Thermal Pad Thermalright Extreme 2mm (12.8w/mk).

It'll arrive on next days, I'll post back the results here.

If you'e using ethminer cranked you need to re-apply better thermal pads yourself. You may even want to run a fan over the GPU (a low intake fan on a standard PC tower in line with the GPU should be fine).

On 3/12/2021 at 11:54 AM, SuperAndroid2011 said:

Per your post, there is a great probability that the problem does not lie in the lack of pads on backplate, but on bad heat tranfer to the copper plate due to poor quality pads that Gigabyte used on memories.

I'll try only replacing the front pads because I could not find any decent 3mm near where I live at a fair price. The few ones available are hugely overpriced.

But for front I bought Thermal Pad Thermalright Extreme 2mm (12.8w/mk).

It'll arrive on next days, I'll post back the results here.

I just installed the pads on front (not in backplate). Memory Junction Temperatures dropped 20+ degrees.

But later, I found that Thermal Pad Thermalright Extreme 2mm (12.8w/mk) 85x45x2 is enough for both front and backplate, and it appears that 2mm fits backplate and pcb space (at least visually in my card) so I applied the remaining thermal pad on backplate and temps droppred some 2-3 degrees more.

The two large strips on backplate will have 45mm instead of 50mm necessary, but it is better than nothing.

So, just a indication, do your own measuments, you can cut the 85x45 as the following (all in milimeters):

1st, cut the thermal pad sheet in two slices:

53x45 (Memories x Copper Plate)

32x45 (Backplate x PCB) - Save this if you don't want to use on backplate or if you think that it doesn't fit (the gap can vary from card to card milimetricaly).

Here are sizes for each memory cluster:

Memories x Copper Plate
53x15 (Left)
53x15 (Right)
14x15 (Top)
13x15 (Bottom)

Backplate x PCB
45x16 (Left)
45x16 (Right)
13x15 (Top)
13x15 (Bottom)

Warning:

You'll void your warranty by opening the card, and, the fan connectors are (in most cases) really difficulty to remove, requires lots of pacience and cold blood to do.

I broke some plastic on 2 of the 3 fans connectors case (even so they are still hard to remove).

I'm sure I lost my warranty.

On 2/28/2021 at 11:07 PM, BringerOfRayne said:

3mm pads position on the underside of the ram and backplate (blue in photo). On my gigabyte 3080 Eagle there were no pads here previously so these were new.    The 2mm pads (gray in photo) sit on top of the ram and contact the copper block.  When I opened my card the existing pads were degraded and oily and sticking to the copper block.  I took them off and used them to make stencils for cutting the new pads.  I cleaned the oil from the ram using coffee filters and a bit of 91% isopropyl alcohol. I also cleaned the old thermal paste off the block and gpu at this time.   I placed the newly cut pads right on top of the memory as then I could be sure they were in the perfect placement.   I applied grizzly thermal paste on the gpu and put it back together.  As you can see in the photo I didn't have a single piece of pad big enough for the bottom so I used two pieced so after I took the picture I used thermal paste on top to make it a nice even surface with no gaps.

20210215_191429.jpg

20210228_212322.jpg

20210228_221657.jpg

Where did you buy the 2mm and 3mm thermal pads? I'm having some trouble tracking them down, all I can seem to find is 0.5mm and 1mm. Ideally some place that ships to Canada.

• 4 months later...

Not Sure if everyone here is done, but just got a ASUS TUF 3080 OC, just got it in june, (Part of pre-built with iBuyPower, sidenote: they did a great build job). And I'm hitting high 100C+ playing games at full tilt, and getting throttling. Definitely having temp issues. Did some bench marking tests for long duration, and constantly seeing the Mem Temp at 100C+.

Just bought some thermal pads from amazon & AliExpress  (Did AliExpress first, then realized got the ones that are too thin after reading here).

But the Iceberg thermal pads I bought on Amazon: Iceberg Thermal DRIFTIce Thermal Pad 80mm x 40mm x 2.0mm
Then grabbed a set of the 3mm thick ones: Thermalright Thermal Pad 12.8 W/mK, 85x45x3mm *Please note I bought these on AliExpress, as it was cheaper for me in HK but almost bought em on amazon.

Right now when I run the card hard (Gaming/ Video Editing) I keep the side open. as the Mem temp goes from 108C+ to 98C.

None of this actually comes for like 3 weeks, but we'll see then.

my ftw3's memory modules usually sit in the high 80's when playing games like new world/cyberpunk/codmw

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+

On 8/12/2021 at 12:02 AM, HKDusty said:

Not Sure if everyone here is done, but just got a ASUS TUF 3080 OC, just got it in june, (Part of pre-built with iBuyPower, sidenote: they did a great build job). And I'm hitting high 100C+ playing games at full tilt, and getting throttling. Definitely having temp issues. Did some bench marking tests for long duration, and constantly seeing the Mem Temp at 100C+.

Just bought some thermal pads from amazon & AliExpress  (Did AliExpress first, then realized got the ones that are too thin after reading here).

But the Iceberg thermal pads I bought on Amazon: Iceberg Thermal DRIFTIce Thermal Pad 80mm x 40mm x 2.0mm
Then grabbed a set of the 3mm thick ones: Thermalright Thermal Pad 12.8 W/mK, 85x45x3mm *Please note I bought these on AliExpress, as it was cheaper for me in HK but almost bought em on amazon.

Right now when I run the card hard (Gaming/ Video Editing) I keep the side open. as the Mem temp goes from 108C+ to 98C.

None of this actually comes for like 3 weeks, but we'll see then.

I have the same GPU - at full load, 335w+, memory temps are 88-90c. What's your case airflow like?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

On 8/14/2021 at 2:11 PM, Mister Woof said:

I have the same GPU - at full load, 335w+, memory temps are 88-90c. What's your case airflow like?

Honestly Thought it had great airflow, has lots of pull with the number of fans in it. But now when in a heavy load (Be it heavy work I'm doing, gaming, or it doing crypto when not in use), I take the side panel off and have a case fan now pointing down on the card. Now VRAM temps stay at 98C. The Core is nice and cool at 47 - 60C, so no issues there. Waiting on new thermal pads to come. I can see from the side that some of the VRAM doesn't have any thermal pads.... sooo yay.

20210817_111047.jpg