Question from a xbox user.

I have bin a a console user all my life. And I'm a fan of tech stuff and computers but don't know much as in programs or things that have come new to the pc world.  I really want to build my own pc. But I don't know much enough of pc gaming to do so. Really want a pc but daaaaaaammmm those prices !!!. So any suggestions on what I need know about pc. Mainly asking what do I gotta know or what are some main key features I kneed to learn more about on before I start to build one. 

All information will be greatly appreciated 🙏.  Thanks 

ltt has plenty of videos on every aspect of building pc's. there are also plenty of other channels with great content to learn from. imo, the most valuable thing required for pc building is patience. price wise, it does get pretty pricey at the mid to higher end, but you can build a decent rig for 600$ that will do okay on modern titles at 1080p.

If you want good performance and are on a budget, you could try looking at used computers. For example an old office PC with a 4th generation i5 (e.g 4460, 4590) and a cheaper graphics card (e.g GTX 1070, RX 580) performs relatively well. Just make sure the card fits in the case and the power supply can run it.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Thanks for the info. What should I research or learn more if I'm aiming for everyday use pc but for gaming also but want 1440p something that will last in the long run.

On 11/24/2020 at 6:21 AM, Fredoo said:

Thanks for the info. What should I research or learn more if I'm aiming for everyday use pc but for gaming also but want 1440p something that will last in the long run.

I would suggest looking at LTT videos as has been stated before, most importantly reviews of video cards and CPUs. LTT compares them in real world applications, including games, so you would get a rough idea of what performance you would get at a given price point. GamersNexus is another YouTube channel, but he focuses on enthusiast hardware in greater depth, so you will get more thorough information.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Follow a build guide. They're pretty easy to follow. That's actually how I learned. 

I recommend building your pc. 

Once you've decided on a cpu, look up the specific cpu on YouTube to see how it's installed. 

The big store on pc is called steam. They have a sale right now. The major sales are summer, Halloween, fall, winter, spring. Afaik. 

Summer is the big one. 

Discord is a popular chat feature. Teamspeak is still around but mostly in Europe or clans for Arma. 

If you're concerned about building your own pc, everything Intel is on sale because ryzen is generally better in all respects now. 

Intel has been gaining minor performance for years and hasn't been making huge strides so a generation or 3... Or 4 older isn't that bad. 

Don't get any laptops. Desktop is still the way to go for price to performance. 

On 11/23/2020 at 8:37 PM, Speedbird said:

If you want good performance and are on a budget, you could try looking at used computers. For example an old office PC with a 4th generation i5 (e.g 4460, 4590) and a cheaper graphics card (e.g GTX 1070, RX 580) performs relatively well. Just make sure the card fits in the case and the power supply can run it.

wouldn't recommend those now as quad cores are dropping off severely in some titles. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

3 minutes ago, fpo said:

Follow a build guide. They're pretty easy to follow. That's actually how I learned. 

I recommend building your pc. 

Once you've decided on a cpu, look up the specific cpu on YouTube to see how it's installed. 

The big store on pc is called steam. They have a sale right now. The major sales are summer, Halloween, fall, winter, spring. Afaik. 

Summer is the big one. 

Discord is a popular chat feature. Teamspeak is still around but mostly in Europe or clans for Arma. 

If you're concerned about building your own pc, everything Intel is on sale because ryzen is generally better in all respects now. 

Intel has been gaining minor performance for years and hasn't been making huge strides so a generation or 3... Or 4 older isn't that bad. 

Don't get any laptops. Desktop is still the way to go for price to performance. 

Also buy a GPU used there's some decent deals on cards from the 1000 series or the RX 570/Vega 56 and 64 cards

1 hour ago, Lord Vile said:

wouldn't recommend those now as quad cores are dropping off severely in some titles. 

Yeah, in eBay for 1-200 you can get a quad core....or for like 300, you can get a brand new computer. I think some entry level gaming capable PCs are in the 350-450 range. 

From prebuilt companies. 

8 minutes ago, fpo said:

Yeah, in eBay for 1-200 you can get a quad core....or for like 300, you can get a brand new computer. I think some entry level gaming capable PCs are in the 350-450 range. 

From prebuilt companies. 

Well for ultra budget things getting an i5 or i7 optiplex is cheap they're just not worth it vs a console. You can get a 2600 new for like £120 now, motherboard and RAM for £250 total, case, storage and PSU takes it to 450 then you can get a GTX 1070 for under £200

On 11/23/2020 at 8:55 PM, Fredoo said:

don't know much as in programs or things that have come new to the pc world.  I

You'd fit right in with 90% of pc users... (myself included, I know some things about building, about steam, how to mod some stuff, but generally windows is a huge, buggy black hole to me and idk much about software, the less I have installed the better all I know) 

On 11/24/2020 at 5:21 AM, Fredoo said:

want 1440p something that will last in the long run.

that's going to get quite pricey. 

minimum ryzen 3600 and up. 

a 1070/2060 level gpu *minimum*

8-16gb RAM, 

hard-drive(s) / ssd, motherboard, psu (things better not to cheap out on btw) 

around 1000 euros easily, maybe a bit under. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

example: 

(note this isn't really future proof, especially you'd need a very pricey, mostly unavailable current gen GPU, but this will do for *now*) 

also no OS or monitor included ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Daaammmmm!!! Really grateful for the info on hu to look up and on giving a path to which I can kinda follow. And thanks for the steam info and chat stuff. I'm a huge xbox fan but damm do I wann upgrade every time a new one comes out NOP! I check this every other day. Please feel free to spam this with info guys. I really do appreciate the facts, knowledge and info you guys know.  Even tho I gotta search everything you guys mentioned 😆 lol. 

Thank you all

To be fair, you are going to spend just as much or more on upgrading your PC in the seven years between console generations than you do on buying the new console.  That isn't to discourage you from diving into PC gaming though!  It is a lot of fun to build a PC and get it running on your own.