Hey Linus and Community, Apple bricked my MacBook Pro with the Big Sur Install. This is a widesrpead issue and they want me to pay $474 to fix.

TL:DR Installing Big Sur on my late 2013 MBP bricked my laptop, and I'm not the only one.

" Your Macbook was from 2013 and probably on the way out anyway and something as 'invasive as an operating install' finally did in the mainboard." This issue has been happening to many people and first reported on Macrumors, then Reddit, and numerous sites. Its even on the apple forums. 

To me it feels like this: Apple releases Shiny new OS they say "Hey everyone this is the best, install it!". Install bricks a specific model of MBP late 2013 MBP retina's with the same mainboard. Apple response "Oh gosh, the install made it dead?" You need to pay $474 or buy a new mac. 

When confronted that they basically released an OS that requires a specific model to die, and buy a new mac or spend half a grand for repair. 

So Linus and LTT Community I would love your thoughts, Again its a widespread issue. 

======

Again my MBP was working flawlessly (I had replaced the battery and keyboard at same time when a key stopped working 2 years ago). It died somewhere on a reboot of big sur. I wasn't babysitting it.

"Apple big sur install bricked my Late 2013 MBP"

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252034110?login=true&page=16

Below is my story, I would love your thoughts. 

I have the exact same issue did all the trouble shooting "of SMC, PRAM, holding shift, option keys, recovery mode etc" with an apple support tech over the phone, then they said it was hardware and head to take it the genius bar. They got an appointment scheduled for 5 days later. So (today) I brought it in today. They tore it down all the way down to the mainboard, and found that it wouldn't post but the magsafe light, fans and all that start up.

"Something as invasive as a software install broke it "it wont even post".

The genius bar tech says that they can order the new motherboard for me for $474.00 US

They said there was nothing they could do more there, as they are not authorized to do free hardware repairs, but I could call apple care and see if they can do anything.

I am a front line worker (therapist) and use this daily. I loved this machine, it showed no signs of issue at all, and then the big sur install bricked it.

I'm on the phone with apple care now, got through to a nice lady named Kim, who I explained the issues too, and the above trouble shooting. Now Kelly. She says se agrees with the decison of the techs, but called the store to attempt some other recovery troubleshooting. I don't care if I lose all my data (Time Machine ftw). I want my beloved laptop working. (outcome they are standing with the apple store decision. I have to pay $474 to get it fixed or get a new mac.

As this is wide spread and the only way to seem to get a companies attention is to get numbers and maybe legal counsel. I started an email address . If the BigSur install bricked your laptop. Write your story and email * bricked.by.bigsur.install@gmail.com  * Note: I won't be checking this other than to show numbers  of others impacted to apple or legal counsel).

bricked.by.bigsur.install@gmail.com

So LTT Community What are your thoughts?

4 minutes ago, StarrTouch said:

Your Macbook was from 2013 and probably on the way out anyway and something as 'invasive as an operating install' finally did in the mainboard."

is this a quote from someone specific?

4 minutes ago, StarrTouch said:

"Something as invasive as a software install broke it "it wont even post".

and this?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Direct quotes from the apple genius bar tech Your Macbook was from 2013 and probably on the way out anyway and something as 'invasive as an operating install' finally did in the mainboard."

I had him repeat that because I couldn't believe my ears.

"Something as Invasive as an operating install pushed it passed that edge. Again we can get that part replace that for you for $474. ... I asked if he tried unplugging the I/O. "Yes, We tore the whole thing down, it was showing signs of life, fan spinned up, mag light came on, we just couldn't get it to post or to any recovery menu"

It strikes me as disingenuous to assume or suggest that Apple is out to get you and wants to brick specific models of Mac to force you to buy a new laptop. Not only are the older models much more widely understood among the tech community, a reason for the 'bricking' happening will inevitably emerge and if there's any foul play the negative impact on Apple would likely far outweigh any benefit of Apple bricking everyone's 6-7 year old laptops. At least in my estimation...

I'm not saying this isn't bad, Apple needs to fix this and it's a shame that a software update can cause this issue and that it wasn't adequately tested to prevent this. But I do tire of the Rossman style of throwing a fit everytime Apple makes a mistake.

There's a feature called 'Target Disk Mode' in those generations of Macs, would be pertinent to try that out and assess the state of the system partitions to get to the bottom of this. If that feature doesn't work that in itself could provide clues as to where exactly the fault is, anyone that has an old Thunderbolt 2 equipped mac can try this. I'm sure given a few weeks there'll be some clues as to what caused it and how to fix it.

Platform agnostic software engineer & small business owner. 

19 minutes ago, StarrTouch said:

So LTT Community What are your thoughts?

Well the laptop in question is 7 years old. I mean they dont last forever. Laptops take much more abuse then a desktop would. You also cant expect Apple to have perfect support on a machine that has long since cut support of. Your lucky they are even offering to repair it. 

Also to be clear, software taking out the hardware is not just related to old Macs. I guess reinstalling Big Sur on one of the new ARM makes fucks the firmware on the board. Basically requiring a new mainboard. Even Apple doesn't get it right all the time. Thanks to Microsoft, the bar for quality has been lowered quite a bit. 

Best advice I can give you is contact Louis Rossmann and see if they can repair the machine for cheaper. Apple is unlikely to do anything for you, they are not exactly a shining light of consumer friendliness. While you could try to get help from Legal Counsel, keep in mind Apple has an Army of lawyers working for them. Basically you're an Ant and they are the Boot. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

If I remember the thread I read elsewhere, this is an issue with the update failing to flash firmware properly and bricking the machine. It’s pretty widespread for the older laptops but all it takes to fix it is a 3rd party repair service to reflash it.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20