1440p Build - Advice and Recommendations

Budget (including currency): £1,600 - £1,900

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Exclusively gaming, including titles like Rust, KSP, Space Engineers and AAA titles like The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077

Other details: This is my first build and is aimed at 1440p gaming at high to ultra settings with high FPS. Existing parts list is here:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LumpyLenny/saved/32FjZL

In terms of peripherals, I need everything from a wifi card through to a monitor, with the exception of a mouse and keyboard.

I want to buy ASAP and will likely get the LG 27GL850-B today.

A couple of things I'm unsure about are whether I should futureproof and go for 32 GB RAM, if that PSU is powerful enough for the build and whether that i7 will cause any bottlenecking issues for the 3070. Aside from those questions, any general feedback on this would be really helpful.

Thanks

Go for a R5 5600x, or if you are a intel fanboy, at least 10th gen,

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Go for a R5 5600x, or if you are a intel fanboy, at least 10th gen,

Thanks for the response, why the Ryzen 5? I have no preference for brands so happy to get the best option, AMD or Intel.

Good choice for the monitor, though going with Z390 nowadays makes little to no sense, especially considering what the 9700K looks to be priced at for you locally.

I would recommend going for something along the lines of:

Managed to fit in a 6800XT, though whether you can actually get your hands on one is a different question.

Getting a Windows key for 100 quid would mean that you'd need to drop to a 3070 (or maybe a 6800) to stay within budget, so honestly, I'd probably just look for a cheap key online. Or just run Windows unactivated for a while.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

5 minutes ago, LumpyLenny said:

Thanks for the response, why the Ryzen 5? I have no preference for brands so happy to get the best option, AMD or Intel.

It out preforms intels 10900k (the flagship) is almost all games.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

It out preforms intels 10900k (the flagship) is almost all games.

So it does, thanks for the tip

20 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Good choice for the monitor, though going with Z390 nowadays makes little to no sense, especially considering what the 9700K looks to be priced at for you locally.

I would recommend going for something along the lines of:

Managed to fit in a 6800XT, though whether you can actually get your hands on one is another story.

Getting a Windows key for 100 quid would mean that you'd need to drop to a 3070 (or maybe a 6800) to stay within budget, so honestly, I'd probably just look for a cheap key online. Or just run Windows unactivated for a while.

Thanks for this, I like your suggested build - one thing is that on pcpartpicker it flags a compatibility issue, is that something to worry about?

1 minute ago, LumpyLenny said:

Thanks for this, I like your suggested build - one thing is that on pcpartpicker it flags a compatibility issue, is that something to worry about?

Not really. 
The B550 Gaming Edge (and most B550 boards in general, in fact) feature BIOS Flashback functionality, meaning that even if your board doesn’t support Ryzen 5000 out of the box, you can update the BIOS without needing a compatible CPU.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

10 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Not really. 
The B550 Gaming Edge (and most B550 boards in general, in fact) feature BIOS Flashback functionality, meaning that even if your board doesn’t support Ryzen 5000 out of the box, you can update the BIOS without needing a compatible CPU.

Great, and is 650 W enough for the PSU? 

Just to see what you think, if I raised the budget to £2,000, what would you improve/add to this build? 

5 minutes ago, LumpyLenny said:

Great, and is 650 W enough for the PSU? 

Just to see what you think, if I raised the budget to £2,000, what would you improve/add to this build? 

650W is fine, especially considering that the 5600X is only a 70ish watt chip.

The extra 100 quid could maybe go towards things like more storage or a nicer case.

2TB of storage, better case and a 760W PSU - though granted, this is a little over 2000 quid. Keeping just the SSD upgrade however would make the £2000 limit.

23 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

650W is fine, especially considering that the 5600X is only a 70ish watt chip.

The extra 100 quid could maybe go towards things like more storage or a nicer case.

2TB of storage, better case and a 760W PSU - though granted, this is a little over 2000 quid. Keeping just the SSD upgrade however would make the £2000 limit.

Thanks again, very useful to see this. I think I'll stick with your original cheaper build, while I'd like the extra storage I think I'll upgrade it further down the line. As long as you think all the core components complement each other, I'm happy. You don't foresee any issues with having just the one 1TB SSD to save OS and games to?

8 minutes ago, LumpyLenny said:

Thanks again, very useful to see this. I think I'll stick with your original cheaper build, while I'd like the extra storage I think I'll upgrade it further down the line. As long as you think all the core components complement each other, I'm happy. You don't foresee any issues with having just the one 1TB SSD to save OS and games to?

I don't see why it'd be bad to have both your OS and games on the same SSD.

Just don't completely fill the drive up - I'd try and leave at least 50-75GB free, ideally around 100-125GB. Filling up SSDs isn't a good thing to do in general (not just with the SX8200 Pro), since it could potentially be detrimental to both performance and endurance.

1 hour ago, Mateyyy said:

I don't see why it'd be bad to have both your OS and games on the same SSD.

Just don't completely fill the drive up - I'd try and leave at least 50-75GB free, ideally around 100-125GB. Filling up SSDs isn't a good thing to do in general (not just with the SX8200 Pro), since it could potentially be detrimental to both performance and endurance.

Ok noted. Thanks for the advise, very happy with the build you've proposed so I think I'll run with that