help an old guy (well not that old) figuring out budget build

topolinodos

Hey everyone! hope u can help me figuring this thight budget build out, in a strange country were normal market/hardware laws does not apply and definitively this stuff ain't cheap here.
I'm currently using a 2nd gen i5 with 6gb of ram and a R7700 1gb card, and so far I could work and game with limitations but it wasn´t that impossible, I'm a patient person. Recently my mb's pci-e stopped working, that means it got a little more difficult to do some stuff on integrated graphics.
I'm planing updating it (a little I guess) and the amount of hardware to pick from is kind of overwhelming for me,"back in the day" I used to help others choose and build their system, now I guess I'm the one needing some translation... 

Budget: 300-400 USD
Use:     
    -dual 1080p 60hz monitors
     -light gaming 1080p (mid/low quality Fallout 4, cities skyline, GTA V TOPS)
    -hobbist / learning content creation (Illustrator, Premiere Pro, After Effects, want to try Davinci Resolve)
    -light 3D design / rendering / animation (skethup + enscape, blender)
    -streaming / recording for teaching (OBS) 

I'm looking to buy all new: CPU (never overclocked), MOBO, RAMS(16gb) and a GPU (integrated graphics might work for me while saving for decent one)
Already got: a Thermaltake non certified 550w PSU, a 240gb SATA SSD, 2 500gb HD and a old grampa case

These are some of the average local prices / availability and the choices I would make with what I read o seen so far. 

CPU:
i5 9400F (110 USD)
i5 10400 (130 USD)
ryzen 5 2600 (160 USD)
ryzen 5 3600 (165 USD)
ryzen 5 3400G (130 USD)

GPU
1030 (65 USD) (for perspective...hey its better that what i got now lol)
1050 ti (110 USD)
1650 SUPER (170 USD)
RX5500 (175 USD)
RX570 (175 USD)

LOW END MOBO: (70 USD)

2x8 gb RAM. (55 USD)

What do u guys think? should I just find a MB replacement or is it worth building the last PC i'll ever use? haha

Thxs in advance for reading, see ya! 

btw sorry for the funny English and long post...been a while

For that budget, I would go used if that's possible in your region. 

Don't bother with the 1030. It's a literal paper weight and is only good for HTPC purposes (even though integrated graphics would be more than capable for those duties). 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Thanks for the reply guys. What u are suggesting is totally logic, but used hardware or used anything here is extremely expensive in some cases ppl even expect to obtain the same money as a new product because of idk, i have my own long theory around that. So thats a problem for me...

Hi Topolino, I'm also in Arg :) Just upgraded a very old eMachines computer but then again I don't really use it for streaming or 3d rendering so I didn't need that much power. Have you considered buying a mobo/CPU/RAM/ combo from AliExpress? It seems there are some reputable sellers that sell original brands but at a deep discount. 

Another thing I was thinking is you could keep your mobo and get a i7-3930K, that is if your motherboard supports a 115 TDP processor. Its power would be comparable to a 6600k if I'm not mistaken. I could not find the  i7-3930K in MercadoLibre but in Aliexpress that CPU can be had for $120. You could also get a bit more ram and a graphics card, all for under $400. 

This video might help too. My son has a gaming computer but my daughter does not so I'm considering building one like it:)

(sorry, it is in Spanish but you can see all the component he's using so it might help an English speaker as well) 

12 minutes ago, DCCFan said:

Hi Topolino, I'm also in Arg :) Just upgraded a very old eMachines computer but then again I don't really use it for streaming or 3d rendering so I didn't need that much power. Have you considered buying a mobo/CPU/RAM/ combo from AliExpress? It seems there are some reputable sellers that sell original brands but at a deep discount. 

Another thing I was thinking is you could keep your mobo and get a i7-3930K, that is if your motherboard supports a 115 TDP processor. Its power would be comparable to a 6600k if I'm not mistaken. I could not find the  i7-3930K in MercadoLibre but in Aliexpress that CPU can be had for $120. You could also get a bit more ram and a graphics card, all for under $400. 

Thxs for the tip on those i7 i'll look it up. Unfortunately the failed motherboard is the reason why i'm looking for a new build. But i'm also thinking about replacing it and finding a new gpu and maybe trading that i5

3 minutes ago, DCCFan said:

This video might help too. My son has a gaming computer but my daughter does not so I'm considering building one like it:)

(sorry, it is in Spanish but you can see all the component he's using so it might help an English speaker as well) 

Gracias papá!

Let us know if you end up building one like this :)  It's a pity that AliExpress shipping is so much more expensive to Argentina than to Europe or the U.S. Don't know why that is. But it probably is still a good deal.

This store has both the Xeon 2689/mobo/ram combo and a GTX960 GPU for $359 (with shipping) so I guess that's not terrible. There doesn't seem to be a shipping discount for getting both items though.

Mobo, cpu + 16gb ram combo
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005001356694042.html?

GTX960
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005001431502394.html?

There's another combo with 32gb of ram for just $10 more than the 16gb combo, so this might be better

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/4000624921263.html?

With this 1050ti the total comes up to 406 USD

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32834166031.html?

And with a 1060 3GB it comes up to 434 USD

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/33009975330.html?

If you'd rather get a AM4 system, Aliexpress also has those combos for about $350 with shipping. It's a little more powerful than the xeon system and has DDR4 and you can upgrade to the 2700x later on. I'm trying to figure out if this mobo can take the 2700x because its TDP is higher. Maybe someone can give some input on that. This does come up to $349 USD so it leaves very little money for the GPU. 

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/4001119694157.html?

Graphics cards are horribly expensive in Arg. The only ones I found kind of within budget are the GTX750 and 1030 but there's like no performance difference between your current card and those, that's why it wouldn't make much sense to upgrade to either of them, unless your current card is not working well. 

You can always buy a mobo/cpu/ram combo and stick with your current GPU until you can save for a more powerful card :) 

On 11/20/2020 at 3:12 PM, DCCFan said:

Let us know if you end up building one like this :)  It's a pity that AliExpress shipping is so much more expensive to Argentina than to Europe or the U.S. Don't know why that is. But it probably is still a good deal.

This store has both the Xeon 2689/mobo/ram combo and a GTX960 GPU for $359 (with shipping) so I guess that's not terrible. There doesn't seem to be a shipping discount for getting both items though.

Mobo, cpu + 16gb ram combo
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005001356694042.html?

GTX960
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005001431502394.html?

There's another combo with 32gb of ram for just $10 more than the 16gb combo, so this might be better

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/4000624921263.html?

With this 1050ti the total comes up to 406 USD

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32834166031.html?

And with a 1060 3GB it comes up to 434 USD

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/33009975330.html?

If you'd rather get a AM4 system, Aliexpress also has those combos for about $350 with shipping. It's a little more powerful than the xeon system and has DDR4 and you can upgrade to the 2700x later on. I'm trying to figure out if this mobo can take the 2700x because its TDP is higher. Maybe someone can give some input on that. This does come up to $349 USD so it leaves very little money for the GPU. 

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/4001119694157.html?

Graphics cards are horribly expensive in Arg. The only ones I found kind of within budget are the GTX750 and 1030 but there's like no performance difference between your current card and those, that's why it wouldn't make much sense to upgrade to either of them, unless your current card is not working well. 

You can always buy a mobo/cpu/ram combo and stick with your current GPU until you can save for a more powerful card :) 

I'm actually following your advice on the older gen i7, not a fan of used hardware but guess i'll give it a try if i find a local seller.

I'm still not sure about buying on aliexpress yet but 'll have a look at those links. I used to live in Buenos Aires and buy from China without problems, now I live in a small town far from customs office so it´d be a real pain if it gets locked or whatever ... just playing safe

Thanks so much for the info, i'll be following your aliexpress build 🙂  

On 11/21/2020 at 7:20 PM, topolinodos said:

I'm actually following your advice on the older gen i7, not a fan of used hardware but guess i'll give it a try if i find a local seller.

I'm still not sure about buying on aliexpress yet but 'll have a look at those links. I used to live in Buenos Aires and buy from China without problems, now I live in a small town far from customs office so it´d be a real pain if it gets locked or whatever ... just playing safe

Thanks so much for the info, i'll be following your aliexpress build 🙂  

That's awesome, hope the i7 works for you, at least until you make a new build :)

Not sure what your socket is but it might be compatible with the 2600k.The k's can be overclocked but if you don't like to overclock might as well go for a non k because they're cheaper. If you get the i7 and some extra ram it would really help.

Yeah with aliexpress it's kind of scary to think about such expensive stuff getting lost. Also the possibility of taxes being charged. I haven't bought from them in a while. We'll see how it turns out :)

Edited by DCCFan
spelling

Oh if after getting the CPU you still have 10,000 to 15,000 ARS to spend, check out the r9 280x or 380. I've found quite a few in MercadoLibre :)