5900x / Aorus Master won't post

upslash
Go to solution Solved by upslash,

BIOS update seems to have fixed it! Thank goodness for the Q-Flash Plus feature. Thanks all!

TL;DR - My new PC build will not post, and I'm looking for help to determine the cause and if something is DOA.

RESOLVED: Updated to newest BIOS using Q-Flash Plus feature. Posting now!

EVGA G3 850 (Pulled from existing machine - I know this works).

X570 Aorus Master

5900x

G.Skill 16GBx2 - F4-3600C16D-32GTZR (On QVL)

Kraken X73

1TB 970 EVO Plus

3080 FTW3 Ultra

First off, I have built several PCs in my time. Never had any issues. My 5900x arrived yesterday (finally!). I assembled the machine, but can't get it to post. As soon as I turn the machine on, all of the fans/lights start. The Kraken is living according to the lights. I have a monitor and USB mouse and keyboard. Nothing shows any signs of life except the fans. The LED debug codes come on as soon as I press the power button and show A6 and 0d. It swaps between the two. Looking in my motherboard manual, I don't see 0d defined anywhere. A6 says "Detect and install all currently connected SCSI devices." I don't think I even have any of those.

To note:

- Keyboard and mouse never light up

- Monitor never shows anything

What I have tried:

- Checked all the connections. Unplugged almost everything and reconnected.

- Swapping the DRAM slots. A2 and B2 vs A1 and B1. I also tried running 1 stick of RAM.

- Swapping the G.Skill set for a Corsair set (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15) that works in my 6700k machine (although now sure on QVL for Zen3). Same error codes. A6 and 0d.

- Removed my NVME. Same errors.

- Removed GPU and keyboard/mouse. Nothing but power connected. Same errors.

- Removed the CPU Cooler and CPU. Checked for damage or bent pins. Everything looked fine. I loosened the CPU cooler just a tad to make sure it wasn't tightened a bit too much.

I'm not really sure what else to try. Never had this much trouble getting a PC to post. Could it be a dead CPU or Motherboard? I do have a brand new 5600x sitting in a box that I was planning to return to Walmart.

Any thoughts? Any help would be appreciated. I have been really excited about this build. I've had all of the parts for weeks and was just waiting for the 5900x to arrive.

Thank you

0D indicates a hardware issue, though no one seems to know what. Someone on reddit said trying a DisplayPort connection instead of an HDMI one worked, but that may not work for you.

The SCSI thing, well, I have no idea. I (think I) know the SCSI protocol is used on SATA or something (probably not), but as you have no SATA devices, this is unlikely.

I would advise trying the 5600X, unless that will void the return.

EDIT:

Is the BIOS updated?

elephants

I tried connecting my monitor with both DP and HDMI. That didn't help. I have no SATA devices installed. The RGB hub for the Corsair LL120 fans is connected to the a SATA connection on the power supply, but disconnecting those didn't help either.

I have not updated my bios. Should I? I thought I had read Gigabyte said the Aorus Master would work with Zen3 without an additional bios update. I bought this board from Amazon about 3 weeks ago.

Walmart would probably still let me return the 5600x if I opened it...

https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-MASTER-rev-10/support#support-dl

Looks like you probably need a BIOS update. I had to buy a temporary CPU to flash my ASUS TUF.

Build Log : Red N White Army

System Specs

NZXT S340

i7 4790k

Z97 MSI Gaming 5

Palit 980 Ti Super Jetstream

16GB HyperX Savage 1866 RAM

Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD

EVGA 750W G2 PSU

Custom Cooling Loop

55 minutes ago, upslash said:

I tried connecting my monitor with both DP and HDMI. That didn't help. I have no SATA devices installed. The RGB hub for the Corsair LL120 fans is connected to the a SATA connection on the power supply, but disconnecting those didn't help either.

I have not updated my bios. Should I? I thought I had read Gigabyte said the Aorus Master would work with Zen3 without an additional bios update. I bought this board from Amazon about 3 weeks ago.

Walmart would probably still let me return the 5600x if I opened it...

Any of the new incoming stock after the Ryzen 5000-series release will have support from the factory.

Any older stock with not have the most up-to-date BIOS.

BIOS F30 or newer is required (BIOS version from September 2020 and newer).

If your board came loaded with anything older (e.g. BIOS F22, August 2020), it won't support Ryzen 5000-series out-of-the-box.

Your motherboard has Gigabyte's Q-Flash Plus feature, so you can update the BIOS with just power and a USB stick with BIOS file on it..

You don't even need CPU / RAM / GPU plugged in.

https://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_x570-features.pdf

image.png.8e00c644faea9bc3c45a05173e4cc0a6.png

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

BIOS update seems to have fixed it! Thank goodness for the Q-Flash Plus feature. Thanks all!

14 hours ago, upslash said:

Hi I am having literally the exact same issue! This is my first pc build and I finished the build hrs ago. 5900x / 3090. My Aorus Master is not lighting up and getting the exact issues you are. Can you help walk me through the steps you took as I am totally new to Bios and this!!  Thank you soo much I’m like freaking out 

What @-rascal- posted above and what you have in your motherboard's manual is exactly what I did. Here's my summary (although follow the manual):

- Format a flash drive using FAT32.

- Download the latest driver. Unzip. You should have 4 files. In my case, the BIOS file name was "X570AOMA.31e" before I renamed it, but it will likely depend on what version you choose to install. Rename the BIOS file in that folder to "GIGABYTE.bin".

- Turn the computer off. Remove your RAM, Video Card, and CPU.

- Ensure power is connected to your Motherboard.

- Plug thumb drive into the white USB port on your motherboard.

- Press the Q Flash button on the back once. It will start blinking slowly. After a few minutes, it will blink faster.

- After the blinking stops, you're done.

Plug everything back in and you should be set.

15 hours ago, upslash said:

Also can I do this with my cpu, gpu and memory installed ? Tks again 

16 hours ago, -rascal- said:

Any of the new incoming stock after the Ryzen 5000-series release will have support from the factory.

Any older stock with not have the most up-to-date BIOS.

BIOS F30 or newer is required (BIOS version from September 2020 and newer).

If your board came loaded with anything older (e.g. BIOS F22, August 2020), it won't support Ryzen 5000-series out-of-the-box.

Your motherboard has Gigabyte's Q-Flash Plus feature, so you can update the BIOS with just power and a USB stick with BIOS file on it..

You don't even need CPU / RAM / GPU plugged in.

https://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_x570-features.pdf

image.png.8e00c644faea9bc3c45a05173e4cc0a6.png

I am having literally the exact same issue as OP. I have my CPU/GPU/RAM curranty all in my MOBO. Will the Q-flash still work. I am new at this and DO NOT want to remove my CPU in fear of damaging it since the Kracken is attached and all is set up. Please let me know.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Chris LaValle said:

Also can I do this with my cpu, gpu and memory installed ? Tks again 

I removed mine just to be 100% safe. I had this same question before I flashed mine. When I Google'd around, it seemed like some folks do remove the CPU and some don't.

I would like someone else's opinion on here though.

1 hour ago, upslash said:

I removed mine just to be 100% safe. I had this same question before I flashed mine. When I Google'd around, it seemed like some folks do remove the CPU and some don't.

I would like someone else's opinion on here though.

I did remove my CPU and went through the steps to update the BIOS. After reassembling everything and attempting to boot, I ended up in an endless cycle of the system trying to boot but ultimately still getting the A6 and 0d error followed by other codes cycling through and then it repeats this process until I end up powering off. Can you confirm which BIOS version you downloaded?

5 hours ago, Chris LaValle said:

I am having literally the exact same issue as OP. I have my CPU/GPU/RAM curranty all in my MOBO. Will the Q-flash still work. I am new at this and DO NOT want to remove my CPU in fear of damaging it since the Kracken is attached and all is set up. Please let me know.

Thanks

You can leave the CPU / RAM / GPU installed.

The Q-Flash Plus BIOS update system couldn't care less if those are installed or not.

Did you use Q-Flash Plus, or just regular Q-Flash?

Q-Flash Plus is renaming the BIOS file and putting it onto the USB stick, plugging the USB stick to the SPECIFIED USB port, and pressing the button on the back of the board.

Remember, take the BIOS file out of the folders, and dump it directly onto the empty USB stick.

Literally, blank (properly formatted USB stick), with JUST that one renamed BIOS file...as per the instructions provided by Gigabyte.

If the it didn't flash the BIOS properly, assuming USB stick was properly prepared, I would try it again on more time.

It wouldn't hurt.

@upslash

Awesome that it got you up and running!

For the longest time, ASUS was the only one with this feature on their top-tier boards.

In the last couple of years, it started getting more mainstream, now MSi and Gigabyte are adding this feature in...which is great

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

5 hours ago, Chris LaValle said:

I did remove my CPU and went through the steps to update the BIOS. After reassembling everything and attempting to boot, I ended up in an endless cycle of the system trying to boot but ultimately still getting the A6 and 0d error followed by other codes cycling through and then it repeats this process until I end up powering off. Can you confirm which BIOS version you downloaded?

I used F31e.

Make sure you are using the right USB port on the back. It should be white and say "BIOS" right above it. When you were flashing the BIOS, did the Q-Flash Plus button blink?

Like @-rascal- said, your USB drive should be properly formatted and have the "GIGABYTE.bin" in the root directory. I personally kept all files from the ZIP that I downloaded from Gigabyte in there, but it might not be necessary. You absolutely need to have your BIOS file renamed to "GIGABYTE.bin" in the root directory.