Can I get a f?What are the chances I can fix this? (3900x)

Bought a 3900x with bent pins, is it possible to bend them back still? Can I find a professional for this?

20201117_171509.jpg

6 minutes ago, Toxicblue said:

Can I find a professional for this?

depends on the computer repair shops in your area

you can heat the chip with hot air and bend them back into place with a narrow piece of metal like a razor blade, or even some slender and strong plastic.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Get something very thin and long (a knife blade is perfect) and a tiny flat headed screwdriver plus if you can, a magnifying glass.

Use the screwdriver to CAREFULLY straighten the pins out as much as possible then once their all vertical use the knife blade to get the lined up using existing straight pins as a reference.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I've repaired way worse. 

If any are flat to the green board, they'll likely snap off at the kink. 

And no, you don't heat them. The solder pads will surely let go.

9 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I've repaired way worse. 

If any are flat to the green board, they'll likely snap off at the kink. 

And no, you don't heat them. The solder pads will surely let go.

Do you think my situation is fixable? I took it canada computers and they said I was screwed 

6 minutes ago, Toxicblue said:

Do you think my situation is fixable? I took it canada computers and they said I was screwed 

Yes. I'd say it's probably fixable. I had to straighten pins like that once, though my situation wasn't quite as bad as yours. Get a pair of very thin tweezers (to avoid the other pins) and be very careful.

I have bent pins back into place with VISA cards but it never been as bad as that... As long they are not broken it's fixable and even if some are you might get lucky and they're not important. Take your time and carefully bend them up a bit and then maybe try aligning them with something like a VISA...

you will have to use something thin like a small precision flat head screw driver or a razer knife. Personally I used an art knife in the shape of a scalpel. I have also had a mechanical pencil be suggested, where you can slip the metal end over a pin and gently straighten it

As long as the pins are attached to the board you're good. Even if they get detached there's technically still a chance, but then there's some very tricky soldering involved.

The most important thing is, go slow. pin by pin, no rushing, one pin at a time and then at one point you've got all of them back in place.

19 minutes ago, Toxicblue said:

I think it's worth a shot. 

I use medical tweezers and a magnifier. You'll have a lot more controll than picking at the pins with a pick or razor. 

Surprised nobody has mentioned it but I've seen people have good success in the past bringing chips in this condition to a jeweller / watchmaker who has tools designed for such intricate work. Of course you'd have to explain the situation and see if they're willing to give it a shot, but if you are looking for a professional those people are the closest you'll get.

- Personal Rig -

AMD 7950X3D / 64GB G.SKILL DDR5-6000 EXPO / ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC
ASUS ProArt X670E / Noctua NH-D15 Corsair 4000D Airflow / Corsair RM1000x / 4 x 2TB Crucial P5 Plus

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018
Seasonic Platinum 1000W 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018

PNY GTX 470 1280MB 🪦🫡 June 2010 - August 2017

Intel Q9550 / Q9450 Systems 🪦🫡 Q1-2008 - Q3-2016
- Desktop Audio Equipment -
ADAM Audio F7's | Topping D30 Pro | Topping A30 Pro | HD598 & HD6XX w/ Sheepskin Pads

1 hour ago, KnightSirius said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned it but I've seen people have good success in the past bringing chips in this condition to a jeweller / watchmaker who has tools designed for such intricate work. Of course you'd have to explain the situation and see if they're willing to give it a shot, but if you are looking for a professional those people are the closest you'll get.

thats actually not a bad idea, way to think outside the box!

6 hours ago, Toxicblue said:

Bought a 3900x with bent pins, is it possible to bend them back still? Can I find a professional for this?

20201117_171509.jpg

Was it listed as damaged? Was it extremely cheap? If no to those questions, send it back and avoid the hassle. 

4 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Was it listed as damaged? Was it extremely cheap? If no to those questions, send it back and avoid the hassle. 

Exactly this. This should have been suggestion number 1