CPU Temps slowly rising as soon as PC gets booted. (i9 9900k, kraken x62)

an9ry

The problem:

After switching processors (and motherboards) the cpu temps start at around 30 degrees celsius and slowly creep up to around 75 degrees celsius and then I have to turn the pc off in order to no damage the CPU.

I switched from a i5 7600k and an ASUS z270-a to an i9 9900k with ASUS ROG STRIX z390-f. I changed no other components. For cooling I have the Kraken X62.

My PC:s components:

RTX 2080TI ROG STRIX

i9-9900k

2x8gb g.skill ripjaws ddr4 3200mhz

Corsair CX600W (yeah a bit low, but planning on keeping everything at stock until I get a new psu, shouldn't affect the CPU temps right?)

Samsung 970 Evo M.2 1TB

Kingston 120gb ssd (windows)

1TB Hitachi hdd

My first suspicion was that the cooler was plugged in incorrectly. Not the case, tried both options: using the x62 manual and also connected it to the AIO_PUMP (the fans in CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT).

Then tried re-applying the thermal paste and re-installing the cooler. Didn't work. 

The thermal paste is a couple of years old and I don't remember what brand it is. Could it be that the thermal paste has gone bad or it just is bad?

Help is very much appreciated, don't know what to do.

I'd also like to mention that I've never gotten into windows since I instantly noticed the CPU-temps weren't right. This all is happening in BIOS.

Where are you measing temsp? 75c is perfectly fine, and well before any danger can be done. The cpu will shutdown before any damage can be done.

What temp is it at under sustained load? Does the rad get hot?

New thermal paste would help but you shouldn't start worry about your PC overheating till it gets above 90 C. Plus pretty much all modern CPUs can tell when there too hot and will start to throttle if they get to hot then turn off if they think the heat might cause damage.

Thank you for the fast responses. This all happening in BIOS, since I noticed instantly the temps were rising I didn't want to even boot windows until I fixed this issue. Is it normal that the temps are around 75 degrees (might go above, haven't tried because I turn my conputer off immediately at that time) in BIOS?

1 minute ago, an9ry said:

Thank you for the fast responses. This all happening in BIOS, since I noticed instantly the temps were rising I didn't want to even boot windows until I fixed this issue. Is it normal that the temps are around 75 degrees (might go above, haven't tried because I turn my conputer off immediately at that time) in BIOS?

there is nothing to worry about those temps, just give windows install a go. Bios won't be super low temps as the power savings features aren't enabled.

Alright, thank you for answering! Will update here on my progress.

Alright, so I was setting up my boot devices and the cpu temp reached 88 degrees celsius, there is no way this is normal right? Something is definitely off. I turned off my PC when it reached 88 degrees.

IMG_20201115_010601.jpg

Hi,

I would definetly repaste your cooler and check the mounting pressure of your cooler. This is indeed not normal.

Also make sure evrything is set to default and that you are running the latest bios.

If that all also does not help. You can try to adjust the AVX offset to something like 3.

I highly doubt that your thermal paste turned just bad. I think it is more likely that it has something to do with the amount of thermal paste you used and the pressure. 

take off your CPU cooler and look how good the paste is spread. after that make sure you have installed your cooler the right way, pipes at the button so the air would collect itself at the top and don't screw with the pumps. 

btw are you sure your cooler/pump didn't get damaged 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

yeah, at base clock, that chip should never reach that temp under proper cooling.

first make sure your AIO is installed correctly. check all the connections: sata power, usb 2.0 etc. also make sure your rad is seated correctly, you can google a gamers nexus video about this. It is very important to seat your rad properly.

If that is all good, I would suggest you to listen to the pump. If it is dead, there is no reason to do anything else.

and I assume the fans are spinning?

If pump and fans are well and all, check the paste and mounting pressure.