Fps dips/drops in all games, not sure what's the issue

LinusDontDropIt
Go to solution Solved by LinusDontDropIt,
On 11/14/2020 at 3:49 PM, LinusDontDropIt said:

Hi, i keep unexpectedly dropping frames very sharply in pretty much any game i play, and i don't know whats up with it.
Any help is appreciated, sorry for being vague!

I'll try to answer any question i can to the best of my knowledge to help you in helping me solve this issue.
❤️

p.s. Wasn't sure where to post this so i just went with general, hope its fine!

My specs are:
gpu 1050 gtx 2gb vram
12gb ddr3 generic ram
mobo m5a78l-m lx3
cpu fx 6300 six core
psu 500w
1tb hdd 2x
and an optical drive.

Think i figured it out, it seems like the cpu is throttling and thats the cause of the sudden drops.
Temp is too irregular and it's going from 60 to 70 and even 80 and then straight back. I'll close the topic, that about wraps it up i'd say.

p.s. the cpu has been through some intense experiences over the years so it's for the best it gets put to rest.

Hi, i keep unexpectedly dropping frames very sharply in pretty much any game i play, and i don't know whats up with it.
Any help is appreciated, sorry for being vague!

I'll try to answer any question i can to the best of my knowledge to help you in helping me solve this issue.
❤️

p.s. Wasn't sure where to post this so i just went with general, hope its fine!

My specs are:
gpu 1050 gtx 2gb vram
12gb ddr3 generic ram
mobo m5a78l-m lx3
cpu fx 6300 six core
psu 500w
1tb hdd 2x
and an optical drive.

Edited by LinusDontDropIt
Specs info

you need to not be vague. what are your specs? when did the frame drop start happening? how would you describe the frame drops? are your drivers up to date? have you monitored utilisations and temperatures?

Try updating your mother board drivers do some research before doing so that is if you haven't already that would be the first thing I would try after that look into updating gpu drivers and after male sure your power supply can handle all your components 

On 11/14/2020 at 4:52 PM, boggy77 said:

you need to not be vague. what are your specs? when did the frame drop start happening? how would you describe the frame drops? are your drivers up to date? have you monitored utilisations and temperatures?

Okay let's start from the top,my specs are as follows:
1050 gtx 2gb vram
fx 6300 six-core

12gb of ddr3 ram [generic i think]

1tb hdd x2
as for specs i think thats it.
The frame drops started happening a while back so i'm not exactly sure when,the frame drop is very sharp so it would be 100 or so fps and then drop to 20-40s and go back up a few seconds later.
My gpu driver is up to date, as for my cpu i'm not sure.
Temps seem mostly fine except maybe the cpu [during gaming its 70-80c] not sure if thats normal or not.

On 11/14/2020 at 4:58 PM, LinusDontDropIt said:

Okay let's start from the top,my specs are as follows:
1050 gtx 2gb vram
fx 6300 six-core

12gb of ddr3 ram [generic i think]

1tb hdd x2
as for specs i think thats it.
The frame drops started happening a while back so i'm not exactly sure when,the frame drop is very sharp so it would be 100 or so fps and then drop to 20-40s and go back up a few seconds later.
My gpu driver is up to date, as for my cpu i'm not sure.
Temps seem mostly fine except maybe the cpu [during gaming its 70-80c] not sure if thats normal or not.

oh right the mobo is ASUS M5A78L-M LX3

On 11/14/2020 at 4:57 PM, Game_on said:

Try updating your mother board drivers do some research before doing so that is if you haven't already that would be the first thing I would try after that look into updating gpu drivers and after male sure your power supply can handle all your components 

The psu is 500 watts and it seems to be doing fine,could be that my bios or something needs an update.
How do i check what ver my bios is?
During startup  or somewhere else?

As far as checking motherboard bios version I'm not sure you could download a program that would provide that information to you with in Windows. I have had issues in the past with my gpu or even new gpu where a bios update has fixed everything won't hurt to try as long as you know what your doing and do your research it's a pretty simple thing to do

Is this a new system have you had this problem in the past in the case this system is old ?

On 11/14/2020 at 5:04 PM, Game_on said:

As far as checking motherboard bios version I'm not sure you could download a program that would provide that information to you with in Windows. I have had issues in the past with my gpu or even new gpu where a bios update has fixed everything won't hurt to try as long as you know what your doing and do your research it's a pretty simple thing to do

Okay i'll check the bios version and if it's updated i'll look for an update,the mobo is very old and i saw the last update was 2017 on asus' site.

On 11/14/2020 at 5:05 PM, Game_on said:

Is this a new system have you had this problem in the past in the case this system is old ?

i've had this problem for a while now and it's not a new system, its 2-3 years old.

On 11/14/2020 at 5:05 PM, Game_on said:

The problem hasn't been there for the whole time, when the system was new it had nothing like these drops now.

Ok but was it happening before ? at any time with in those 2-3 year's did it work properly ? 

And is it happening with games you had before or just new games ?

Just now, Game_on said:

Ok but was it happening before ? at any time with in those 2-3 year's did it work properly ? 

And is it happening with games you had before or just new games ?

I don't remember it ever being this bad, and its on all games.

Any changes you might have made or settings in game that you might have increased graphical visuals for ?

Just now, Game_on said:

Any changes you might have made or settings in game that you might have increased graphical visuals for ?

The drop is there no matter the settings, i tried the lowest graphical settings possible but the dip/drop is there no matter what setting i set.

1 minute ago, Game_on said:

i'm gonna restart my pc and check the bios to see if i can update it.
be back in 15-20 minutes!
{won't be able to respond in the meantime}

you might want to try installing GeForce experience and letting GeForce experience optimized the games for you it might work and fix your issues possibly 

22 minutes ago, Game_on said:

you might want to try installing GeForce experience and letting GeForce experience optimized the games for you it might work and fix your issues possibly 

i'm back, it seems my mobo is up to date,nah i don't think that will do anything since anyway i try to optimize the games it still drops.
btw i can keep decent average framerate, but the problem is the unnatural drop/dip in fps in all my games at any moment.

25 minutes ago, Game_on said:

I also have geforce experience installed, i am really not sure what the issue is with the drop.

strange well I have exceeded my ability to help you last thing I would suggest is reinstalling Windows and everything else as well as far as programs I know it's a head ache but if your saying you didn't have this issue before just reinstalling Windows and installing all recent bios and programs wouldn't hurt to try and check your Nvidia control panel try setting your power settings in the Nvidia control panel to prefer maximum performance and the section in the control panel where it says quality by default set it to performance and inside Windows power settings choose high performance mode if all this combined fixes it update me let me know if they worked if not reinstalling Windows clean could also do the trick

1 minute ago, Game_on said:

strange well I have exceeded my ability to help you last thing I would suggest is reinstalling Windows and everything else as well as far as programs I know it's a head ache but if your saying you didn't have this issue before just reinstalling Windows and installing all recent bios and programs wouldn't hurt to try and check your Nvidia control panel try setting your power settings in the Nvidia control panel to prefer maximum performance and the section in the control panel where it says quality by default set it to performance and inside Windows power settings choose high performance mode if all this combined fixes it update me let me know if they worked if not reinstalling Windows clean could also do the trick

Thanks for your help, i really hoped i wouldn't have to reinstall windows but it seems the only plausible option i have left.

I'll consider reinstalling and i'll tell you if/when it works.

Again thank you for your help, it is much appreciated!

Try the settings first High performance mode in the Windows control panel power settings. prefer maximum performance in the Nvidia control panel and set quality to performance in the Nvidia control panel as well see what happens. let me know what happens

2 minutes ago, Game_on said:

Try the settings first High performance mode in the Windows control panel power settings. prefer maximum performance in the Nvidia control panel and set quality to performance in the Nvidia control panel as well see what happens. let me know what happens

I had both already set on that, :/ this pc is giving me a headache!

watch this video and follow every single step by step might give you the help you need here is the link Watch "How To Optimize Your Nvidia Control Panel for Gaming and Performance | Alienware Tech Talk" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/HwCLV5OZ-Y0 just copy and past to YouTube if the link does not work

Just now, Game_on said:

watch this video and follow every single step by step might give you the help you need here is the link Watch "How To Optimize Your Nvidia Control Panel for Gaming and Performance | Alienware Tech Talk" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/HwCLV5OZ-Y0 just copy and past to YouTube if the link does not work

Alright i'll give it a look, thanks!

if after watching the video and following the steps nothing works just reinstalling Windows lol the worst

regardless I'll be around for a short time let me know if anything works for you even after the worst installing Windows from scratch still let me know thank you kindly and good luck.

over and out I'll check back later to see of you mad progress

9 minutes ago, Game_on said:

over and out I'll check back later to see of you mad progress

Aight,although not sure how i'll reinstall windows since i don't posses a usb stick right now.
I'll see monday to get a usb stick if nothing else i suppose.

Oh if the settings don't do anything for you. Try the motherboard bios update even if you already have that version anyway it could help to refresh things