System freeze/crash on wake from sleep. Odyssey G9 RTX 3090

I just finished building a new rig. Specs below.

CPU: 3900xt

GPU: ROG Strix RTX 3090 OC

MOBO:Asus Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi

RAM:2x16 Gb Corsair Vengence LPX 3200 C16

PSU: Corsair AX850

Displays: 2x Asus PB278Q on DP and HDMI, and 1x Samsung Odyssey G9 on DP 1.4

OS: Windows 10 Pro (Idk what build, but I have auto updates enabled unless I'm installing drivers, more info below in my steps so far*)

I'm having an issue where my computer freezes up after waking from sleep. The screens turn on as if they've detected a signal, and then they just go back to standby after flickering the input signal channel (HDMI, DisplayPort, etc) and then my system goes completely unresponsive. Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work, Win+Ctrl+Shift+B doesnt work, nothing. Need to reset with reset button or cycle PSU/unplug & replug from wall. It seems to be an issue with the Samsung G9 and NVidia drivers, since I've seen a bunch of people on the Nvidia forums talk about similar black screen issues with the G9 and 3000 series GPUs, but theirs aren't' multi-monitor so they don't see the same behavior as I do across all 3 screens. Any ideas how to fix or mitigate? Right now I've just set it up so that my computer never goes to sleep, but that doesn't seem like a good idea for the longevity of my parts.

A separate but possibly related issue is that every time I try to set my G9 to 240hz on the OSD (with the nipple on the bottom of the monitor) it goes black and tries to recover but it ends up blacking out the other 2 monitors as well, and then the system becomes unresponsive just like it was trying to wake itself up. 

This is what I've tried so far: 

- updated Motherboard Bios to latest non-beta version

- updated ASUS VBios to latest version

- updated to latest drivers/firmware from Nvidia and Samsung for the Graphics card and monitor respectively. 

- unintalled aforementioned nvidia driver with DDU in safe mode to install a hotfix driver 456.98 that sorta works but only with just the G9, once the other monitors get plugged in, all 3 go black and flicker like before. 

*when I uninstall or reinstall drivers I turn my home network into a metered connection (I'm on wifi) and turn off windows update's ability to download stuff over metered connections. to prevent it from trying to insert a windows driver while I'm reinstalling graphics drivers. 

- reinstalled newest nvidia driver

- Added TDRLevel and TDRDelay entries in registry, no effect.

- swapped DP Cables for Amazon DP 1.4 cables where applicable, issue remained, so I went back to the stock cable that came with G9. Asus Monitors on random HDMI-HDMI and DP-HDMI (because it flickers at 60hz due to weird DSC Issues) cables that worked from previous rig. So Asus monitors are both receiving into HDMI inputs, not sure if that matters. 

- Swapped GPU For a Zotac trinity 3090

- reinstalled windows

- swapped ram for another Corsair LPX kit

- reset Bios to optimized defaults from a minor OC I did.

Issue persists through all of these attempts. 

So far, my guess is that it's something about the drivers or power delivery that isn't giving the GPU enough juice to kick in when the monitors all wake back up and it just freezes under the wright of the load it's trying to pull.

Does anyone know what might be wrong? Do I have a bad panel? Still within return window for the G9 so I might try to swap it if that's the case. 

If it is an issue with the GPU driving 5120x1440 @ 240hz and 2 1440p 60hz, could I just get a mobo with graphics outputs and just hook up my ASUS monitors to those and keep the G9 on the 3090 dedicated GPU? Do Mobo Bios's still let you use both integrated and discrete graphics simultaneously? 

that psu isnt enough for a 3090. the gpu has a spike when it wakes from sleep, and it trips the over current protction. Using a 3090 and a high end cpu s the time for a 1000w.

(this may not fix, but it may help, the 3000 seires is weird)

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

that psu isnt enough for a 3090. the gpu has a spike when it wakes from sleep, and it trips the over current protction. Using a 3090 and a high end cpu s the time for a 1000w.

(this may not fix, but it may help, the 3000 seires is weird)

Is thee any way to see how much of a spike it goes through when it wakes from sleep? I didn't think the spike from sleep could be harder than having to boot from off

11 minutes ago, parkerchen3298 said:

Is thee any way to see how much of a spike it goes through when it wakes from sleep? I didn't think the spike from sleep could be harder than having to boot from off

not really. Though Nvidia suggests a 850 (iirc) it is sugegested to use more b/c of spikes. Its worth the upgrade though, so if it doesnt work, it is still a good upgrade.

Do you have the same problems if the g9 isnt connected though?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

not really. Though Nvidia suggests a 850 (iirc) it is sugegested to use more b/c of spikes. Its worth the upgrade though, so if it doesnt work, it is still a good upgrade.

Do you have the same problems if the g9 isnt connected though?

No, it seems to be fine without the g9 but granted adding the g9 effectively doubles the number of pixels since I have 2 1440p panels to begin with. I got this PSU as an upgrade from my old rig already lol so guess I'll try getting a 1000w unit and return this one then. Not sure if that's the issue though. cuz I've seen people get away with even using the pigtail connectors and I'm using 3 dedicated 8-pin PCI cables from the PSU

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2020 at 5:09 PM, parkerchen3298 said:

OS: Windows 10 Pro (Idk what build, but I have auto updates enabled unless I'm installing drivers, more info below in my steps so far*)

I'm having an issue where my computer freezes up after waking from sleep. The screens turn on as if they've detected a signal, and then they just go back to standby after flickering the input signal channel (HDMI, DisplayPort, etc) and then my system goes completely unresponsive. Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work, Win+Ctrl+Shift+B doesnt work, nothing. Need to reset with reset button or cycle PSU/unplug & replug from wall. It seems to be an issue with the Samsung G9 and NVidia drivers, since I've seen a bunch of people on the Nvidia forums talk about similar black screen issues with the G9 and 3000 series GPUs, but theirs aren't' multi-monitor so they don't see the same behavior as I do across all 3 screens. Any ideas how to fix or mitigate? Right now I've just set it up so that my computer never goes to sleep, but that doesn't seem like a good idea for the longevity of my parts.

A separate but possibly related issue is that every time I try to set my G9 to 240hz on the OSD (with the nipple on the bottom of the monitor) it goes black and tries to recover but it ends up blacking out the other 2 monitors as well, and then the system becomes unresponsive just like it was trying to wake itself up. 

- updated to latest drivers/firmware from Nvidia and Samsung for the Graphics card and monitor respectively. 

- unintalled aforementioned nvidia driver with DDU in safe mode to install a hotfix driver 456.98 that sorta works but only with just the G9, once the other monitors get plugged in, all 3 go black and flicker like before. 

*when I uninstall or reinstall drivers I turn my home network into a metered connection (I'm on wifi) and turn off windows update's ability to download stuff over metered connections. to prevent it from trying to insert a windows driver while I'm reinstalling graphics drivers. 

- swapped DP Cables for Amazon DP 1.4 cables where applicable, issue remained, so I went back to the stock cable that came with G9. Asus Monitors on random HDMI-HDMI and DP-HDMI (because it flickers at 60hz due to weird DSC Issues) cables that worked from previous rig. So Asus monitors are both receiving into HDMI inputs, not sure if that matters. 

- reinstalled windows

So far, my guess is that it's something about the drivers or power delivery that isn't giving the GPU enough juice to kick in when the monitors all wake back up and it just freezes under the wright of the load it's trying to pull.

Does anyone know what might be wrong? Do I have a bad panel? Still within return window for the G9 so I might try to swap it if that's the case. 

If it is an issue with the GPU driving 5120x1440 @ 240hz and 2 1440p 60hz, could I just get a mobo with graphics outputs and just hook up my ASUS monitors to those and keep the G9 on the 3090 dedicated GPU? Do Mobo Bios's still let you use both integrated and discrete graphics simultaneously? 

Did you ever figure out the solution to this? I have the EXACT same problem as you where my monitors become unresponsive, and there is absolutely no way to get the PC to respond short of hard power reset. Not even able to remote control pc using teamviewer. This all started happening after I got my G9.

For now what I've done is set refresh rate to 120 instead of 240, and disabled HDR on my LG CX, which seems to help improve the consistency of wake from sleep. I now only get it once in a while, but it is still incredibly frustrating.

I doubt it is a PSU issue as others have suggested. It seems to be an issue with Nvidia drivers and the G9.

2080TI

Samsung G9

LG CX 

EVGA 1200PSU

16 hours ago, happyluckbox said:

Did you ever figure out the solution to this? I have the EXACT same problem as you where my monitors become unresponsive, and there is absolutely no way to get the PC to respond short of hard power reset. Not even able to remote control pc using teamviewer. This all started happening after I got my G9.

For now what I've done is set refresh rate to 120 instead of 240, and disabled HDR on my LG CX, which seems to help improve the consistency of wake from sleep. I now only get it once in a while, but it is still incredibly frustrating.

I doubt it is a PSU issue as others have suggested. It seems to be an issue with Nvidia drivers and the G9.

2080TI

Samsung G9

LG CX 

EVGA 1200PSU

I have the same problem: RTX3090 + 3900XT + LG CX + AOC 4K monitor + 1200PSU  (all firmware and software is up2date)

When I turn on my computer, my main monitor (AOC 4K), connected with DP, has a signal but the display stays black.

Also when I wake up my monitor from sleep, it has a signal, but it stays black.

I only have this problem when my LG CX is connected over HDMI 2.1 - If i turn on the TV - does not matter which input is selected on the TV - I get an image on my main monitor.

Both monitors are connected with the RTX3090. Gsync is off, HDR is on. LG CX is set to 120hz and the AOC to 60hz.

For me it looks like the TV is like a trigger for the RTX3090. Because when the TV is off you also can not open the nvidia control panel in windows 10.

Created an account to join the team. I am also having this issue. 

Asus Tuf X570

Rtx 2080ti

3900x

Odyssey g9

I've clean installed drivers twice, ran several other soft repairs and driver wipes. Updated to the latest OS. Still bsod's every wake. Event viewer/bsod blame the driver timeout. Gonna lengthen that betch and see if I can get something different. 

Ok, no dice on that front. I also went into advanced power settings and turned off pci power state. My issues began after an nvidia driver update, fwiw. 

Ok dudes and dudettes,

I think I've arrived at a (not super desirable) solution. 
I have tried fiddling with settings in power plan in windows. No dice.
I have tried fiddling with auto switch on the G9. No dice.
I have tried installing the monitor driver, and this turns everything blue into purple. Deleted it immediately and also it didn't solve the problem. 
I have tried selective startup from kinda strict to super barebones strict and was able to narrow it down to the Nvidia display driver. After kinda getting sleep to work in barebones wasteland mode, I pumped it back up and tried to zero in on any settings or programs that could have been responsible and nada. 

Listening to my data, I rolled my display driver back to 456.98 and blammo. I can sleep and wake again. I simply used the same old installation media for the driver that I had not deleted from my downloads folder from October and ran it as a clean install.  
Hope everyone had a great weekend! 

• 1 month later...

Had to create an account for this. But I have the exact same issue, and I have an Asus Rog RTX 2080 Ti. It runs fine, but occasionally it tries to switch display or turns the screen black, then I also cannot wake up from sleep mode. I have done the exact same troubleshooting steps as the first guy did, and also my PSU is the ROG Thor 1200W. and maximum power pull for the entire system is 550w so i have more than enough headroom for the power needs. 
So issues are:
- Crashes and Restarts randomly

- Event Viewer says its something about nvidia drivers, then the next one says power kernel something...  im not really good at computers, just enough to keep it running. 

- Unable to wake up from sleep
  - i literally have to unplug display port for a few seconds and plug it back in and sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt, 
  - or just restart button on the pc then unplug the display port cable. 

My settings on the monitor:

240hz
Response time Faster
Adaptive sync Off
Low input lag On
Display port ver. set to 1.4

I honestly dont know what to do anymore. This started happening when I got this monitor. 
Can someone please try to check what's wrong. I can send the evt logs. but there are so many crashes and logs that I dont even know when to start. 

also I use the WhoCrashed application to read the dump files but it just says this. 

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

The following dump files were found but could not be read. These files may be corrupted:
C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\DumpFile-20210125-215614.dmp
C:\Windows\System32\DumpFile-20210125-215614.dmp
C:\Windows\Minidump\012621-15515-01.dmp
C:\Windows\Minidump\012521-15281-01.dmp
C:\Windows\Minidump\012521-15375-01.dmp
C:\Windows\Minidump\012521-15406-01.dmp

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2020 at 1:34 AM, Hunterbush said:

Ok dudes and dudettes,

I think I've arrived at a (not super desirable) solution. 
I have tried fiddling with settings in power plan in windows. No dice.
I have tried fiddling with auto switch on the G9. No dice.
I have tried installing the monitor driver, and this turns everything blue into purple. Deleted it immediately and also it didn't solve the problem. 
I have tried selective startup from kinda strict to super barebones strict and was able to narrow it down to the Nvidia display driver. After kinda getting sleep to work in barebones wasteland mode, I pumped it back up and tried to zero in on any settings or programs that could have been responsible and nada. 

Listening to my data, I rolled my display driver back to 456.98 and blammo. I can sleep and wake again. I simply used the same old installation media for the driver that I had not deleted from my downloads folder from October and ran it as a clean install.  
Hope everyone had a great weekend! 

Yeah same thing here I thought it was driver related at first or thought it might have been my CPU overclock but yeah drivers make sense. Hopefully they fix this issue soon cus i don't wanna be on old drivers

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue still with my CX LG  tv and my 3090. if i turn the tv on before i wake the pc everything starts normally but if i dont start the tv the pc monitors are just black and if i then turn the tv on it takes like 5 min for the pc to unfreeze. Must be some type of HDMI 2.1 driver problem? but to still have this problem tho...

Is anyone else still having this issue too? 

AMD Ryzen 7950X3D [x2 360 Rad EKWB] | Asus Extreme x670E | RTX TUF 4090 OC@3GHz [EKWB Block] | Corsair HX1500i | G.Skill Neo CL30 6000MHz (2x32GB) | MP700 2TB Gen5 + 980/950 Pro 1TB M.2 | x6 85PRO 512GB | NAS 4x 18TB Seagate Exo Raid 10+Backblaze | Lian-Li o11D XL | Main Screen: Samsung OLED G9 | AUX: LG IPS7 27" (x2) LG CX 55" G-Sync | Copyright©1996-2024 Teletha All rights reserved. ®

• 1 month later...

Same issue 

I actually have two of these and is not anything else, as I had the Asus 35 ROG 200HZ version, 0 issues. 

SPecs are 

I9-10980XE 

EVGA 3090 OC version

64GB 4266 GSkil Quad Channel

Asus Deluxe II Prime X299 Mobo

1600 EVGA Supernova

On 11/14/2020 at 8:09 AM, parkerchen3298 said:

- reinstalled windows

the problem is not the monitur, GPU or CPU, monitor is fine, the problem is nvidia dirver for RTX 3090 it,s doesnt support DP 1.4 cable, if u try update firmware form nvidia that.s doesnt solve the problem too, only for lower graphic card

but if you use 1.2 DP cable its work fine with 4K 120 Hz HDR on, in other case in 240 hz you should off the HDR but many game will Crash etc. Control

On 1/27/2021 at 10:23 AM, JerichoShauf said:

Had to create an account for this. But I have the exact same issue, and I have an Asus Rog RTX 2080 Ti. It runs fine, but occasionally it tries to switch display or turns the screen black, then I also cannot wake up from sleep mode. I have done the exact same troubleshooting steps as the first guy did, and also my PSU is the ROG Thor 1200W. and maximum power pull for the entire system is 550w so i have more than enough headroom for the power needs. 
So issues are:
- Crashes and Restarts randomly

- Event Viewer says its something about nvidia drivers, then the next one says power kernel something...  im not really good at computers, just enough to keep it running. 

- Unable to wake up from sleep
  - i literally have to unplug display port for a few seconds and plug it back in and sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt, 
  - or just restart button on the pc then unplug the display port cable. 

My settings on the monitor:

240hz
Response time Faster
Adaptive sync Off
Low input lag On
Display port ver. set to 1.4

I honestly dont know what to do anymore. This started happening when I got this monitor. 
Can someone please try to check what's wrong. I can send the evt logs. but there are so many crashes and logs that I dont even know when to start. 

also I use the WhoCrashed application to read the dump files but it just says this. 

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

The following dump files were found but could not be read. These files may be corrupted:
C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\DumpFile-20210125-215614.dmp
C:\Windows\System32\DumpFile-20210125-215614.dmp
C:\Windows\Minidump\012621-15515-01.dmp
C:\Windows\Minidump\012521-15281-01.dmp
C:\Windows\Minidump\012521-15375-01.dmp
C:\Windows\Minidump\012521-15406-01.dmp

use and set DP 1.2 cable on 120hz HDR on, its work fine, if u use 240 hz set HDR off but many game will crash only good for PES 2021 (LOL), the problem is nvidia driver doesnt support for 1.4 DP cable

• 2 months later...

Having the same problem with an aorus 3090 with current drivers.   Overnight with the screens turned off I come back and turn the three screens on and the content is frozen on one side screen with the other two screens showing no signal.  I'm forced to hard shutdown the PC and restart it.   Using the PC during the day for hours, all day long on some days,  there are zero issues.  I have all of windows 10's power saving settings turned off or on performance, disabled pc sleep and hybrid sleep, etc etc.   I turned off the screen saver and even screen sleep, turning the screens off manually.  It still happens overnight for some reason. I have a 1000w power supply that was recently running two 1080ti sc hybrids in SLI with no problems so the power requirement actually went down a little with the new gpu.  I used the same two 8 pin connectors.  There is no heat problem, I've been monitoring the gpu and memory junction in hwinfo64.

1000w PSU

HDMI 2.0 samsung 4k hdmi 2.0b 60hz

HDMI  2.1 LG OLED 120hz VRR in middle

DP->HDMI adapter to another hdmi 2.0b samsung 4k 60hz .

GeForce Gameready driver 471.11  Release date:  06/22/2021

Update.  In investigating this problem I became aware that there was a screen saver system freezing bug with windows 10 that some people experience.  Before I found this thread I thought that might have been the problem since the animated screen saver I use was frozen in place in the morning with the system frozen. However after I turned the screensaver off and just powered off the screens manually the system was still frozen in the morning which made me search more and find this thread.

I had been using displayfusion to manage my screen saver and when I thought I had turned that off, it turns out I still had one on in window's own screen saver menu.   I turned that screen saver off yesterday and now my computer is not frozen in the morning when I manually turned my screens back on. 

I'm not 100% certain I didn't leave my middle screen on though since it has a trick where you can just turn off the oled emitters while the OS still considers the screen as being on fully active in the array.   I can't do that all of the time though because LG OLEDs run a wear evening routine when shut "off" in standy mode every so often. 

Even if it is the screen-saver bug, that still is an annoyance since I'd like another layer of protection (vs burn-in) using a screen saver, even if it was a blank screen. 

I'll report back once I see if the problem happens again with the screen savers (all of them) turned off.

Update again. 

Unfortunately it still happens overnight ~ with the screens off for hours.  I'm hoping it's just a driver issue like others have said.

I'm running a LG CX OLED on hdmi 2.1 at 120hz 4k with VRR enabled. Latest drivers on an aorus 3090 and latest firmware on the oled, windows 10 up to date.   I'm also using e-ARC on the OLED.   

I have three screens in the array.  The side screens are samsung 4k tvs on hdmi 2.0b.   One of the two uses a hdmi to dp adapter.

I had been using gtx 1080ti sc hybrid before the 3090 with no issues like these.  To be clear, this is not just dropping signal (which can happen rarely on displayport itself or using a displayport to hdmi adapter) -  this is locking the whole OS and whatever was running on screen.  It looks like a staticlike screenshot of what was running one screen , while the other two screens have "no signal".

So I think the only time it doesn't happen is if I leave the OLED tv on or on with the emitters turned off using the "turn off the screen" feature which turns off the emitters but leaves the screen active in the array as far as windows is concerned.   I think any time I turn the screens off for a period of time this is going to force a hard reset/reboot which I don't like doing.   I can't use the "turn of the screen" feature all of the time on the OLED because LG OLEDs perform a wear evening routine after turned off for hours into standby

I guess for now I'll shut the computer down normally before I turn the screens off for the day.   Pretty damn annoying that I have to do that though, especially if I want to leave an operation (e.g. download, scan, file move, backup operation) running while I got to sleep. 

During the day I'll turn the side screens off and use the "turn of the screen" emitters-off-but-screen-still-on-as-far-as-windows-is-concerned method which should avoid the issue until all three screens are all actually turned off overnight or when I'm away a long time.   If the freeze ever happens with just the emitters off I'll report back about that.

Hey guys, same thing here, on the note that I'm not having this issue at all after switching to my laptop (integrated Intel GPU) as the display source.

@Hunterbush Many thanks for taking the time to isolate the issue. My conclusion is the same: everything points to the NVidia drivers being at fault at this time.

Here's my plain workaround – if only for the people who use another monitor with the G9:

waking your PC from sleep, and granted that it doesn't immediately freeze (you'll still need to log in in the blind, if G9 is your main monitor),

• open the Windows display settings panel on your other monitor (hint: press [Shift]+[⊞Win]+[←] if the window doesn't show up on the right screen),
  • make sure that Odyssey G9 is selected as your main display ("Make this my main display" checkbox), and
  • toggle HDR for the G9 (you can turn it back on or off right afterwards).

This works for me to bring the monitor back from sleep every time and with no issues (no OS freeze, correct refresh rate etc.) – that's at least something.

Note that @Hunterbush also suggested clean-uninstalling the NVidia drivers and reverting to 456.98.

You may want to try that solution instead – if you can live with outdated drivers.

TL;DR Possible workaround for waking the G9 from sleep (using another monitor is the requirement, however): bring up the Windows display settings panel, and toggle HDR for the G9. Make sure it's selected as your main display.

Edited by Wav6
removed instructions from NVidia (no longer applicable and they weren't of help anyway), added one more tweak that might help

• 3 months later...

Good news, folks: after a year or more in the wait (better than never), this issue seems to have finally been resolved. From what I could observe, the monitor no longer freezes (the system) on wake from sleep.

This appears to be valid with NVidia drivers 496.13 (released Oct 12, 2021), and Odyssey G9 firmware v1013.0.