Building new rig. Wait till new AMD chips come out?

danforz

Budget (including currency): No limitations

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly office use but some high-end 2k gaming.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): My current rig is a little unstable. 

All, my current rig is unstable. I am having issues with the graphics card (2 monitors keep saying "no signal detected") and the system occasionally self-restarts (BSOD?) even though there is no overclock enabled. This wouldn't be a huge issue, except now that I'm working from home these concerns are deal breakers. 

I'd like to build a new PC, but let's be honest, the reviews on the new AMD lineup really make buying the i7 or i9 processors out there questionable. Does anyone know when the new AMD chips will be available and any suggestions on how to proceed? FYI, I typically build enthusiast grade computers, so I want the good stuff. 

2 minutes ago, danforz said:

No limitations

2 minutes ago, danforz said:

Mostly office use

to be honest, this seems to be quite the mismatch. The range of an ultra powered gaming PC, with the reigns of the most basic hardware requirements.

3 minutes ago, danforz said:

the reviews on the new AMD lineup really make buying the i7 or i9 processors out there questionable.

the new chips are indeed the highest end stuff out there, but for your purposes of occasional gaming, I would suggest a more modest 3000 series CPU.

What amount would you be comfortable spending? $1500 to 2000?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

9 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The range of an ultra powered gaming PC, with the reigns of the most basic hardware requirements.

he wants the good stuff. So lets give hime good stuf lol.

13 minutes ago, danforz said:

FYI, I typically build enthusiast grade computers, so I want the good stuff. 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

56 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

to be honest, this seems to be quite the mismatch. The range of an ultra powered gaming PC, with the reigns of the most basic hardware requirements.

the new chips are indeed the highest end stuff out there, but for your purposes of occasional gaming, I would suggest a more modest 3000 series CPU.

What amount would you be comfortable spending? $1500 to 2000?

I spent $3k total on the last rig. But that also had $100's of RGB fans. 

Price is not an issue here. The reason I say "occasional gaming," is because an injury prevents me from playing daily. Still, I want 2k @ 144hz on AAA titles so... yea enthusiast build it is :)

1 minute ago, danforz said:

I spent $3k total on the last rig. But that also had $100's of RGB fans. 

Price is not an issue here. The reason I say "occasional gaming," is because an injury prevents me from playing daily. Still, I want 2k @ 144hz on AAA titles so... yea enthusiast build it is :)

this build with an RTX 3080 would do quite nicely, or the 6800XT when it comes out

add RGB to your liking

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

38 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

lol OK this seems a bit overkill. I was thinking a AMD Ryzen 5600x... I don't do productivity so I don't need all the cores. I already have a 1000wt PSU... Corsair H150 AIO... 32GB of Trident GSkill Memory... etc. The processor / motherboard are really my concerns. 

When sill 5600x be available? 

Just now, Fasauceome said:

this build with an RTX 3080 would do quite nicely, or the 6800XT when it comes out

add RGB to your liking

This looks like it! How do I go about finding a 5600x? It seems sold out everywhere 

1 hour ago, danforz said:

This looks like it! How do I go about finding a 5600x? It seems sold out everywhere 

The stores seem confident that stock will become available again in a matter of weeks

Primary PC:

Alternative available now

i9-9990k for $319 on newegg right now.  

I would try for rx6800 if going with new ryzen.  The new feature that boosts performance with matched cpu/motherboard/gpu and it should be both cheaper and higher performance then that 3070.  A few games are even recommending over 8gb of vram, so 8gb cards may start hitting ram issues with future games. A wait for 3070ti with more ram at least.

22 minutes ago, Sophia_Borjia said:

Alternative available now

i9-9990k for $319 on newegg right now.  

I would try for rx6800 if going with new ryzen.  The new feature that boosts performance with matched cpu/motherboard/gpu and it should be both cheaper and higher performance then that 3070.  A few games are even recommending over 8gb of vram, so 8gb cards may start hitting ram issues with future games. A wait for 3070ti with more ram at least.

I'm looking to take advantage of the CPU/GPu connection with AMD. Will be waiting for "big navi" 

Is RX6800 big navi?