Foxtel Presto ~ A Local Netflix replacement, or a failed attempt to progress?

JaeDee884

Foxtel Presto is a Service in Australia that's releasing today, until yesterday not much was known about it, but the Guys at Australian Gizmodo have done a detailed review of the service, whereas Lifehacker have a much more condensed article, both will be linked.

here's a Quick Summary by me.
SD Streaming only (480p)
Movies only
High price ($19.99 per month, first month only $4.99)
Currently only available on a PC or an iPad, Android coming "soon" (the last Foxtel app Foxtel Go was restricted to only Samsung Galaxy devices)
Big screen streaming only possible through HDMI, services like miracast or AirPlay won't work. 
No lock in contract
1-2GB Movie size. 
New Releases are pay Per View and not included in the streaming subscription.
NOT unmetered on Telstra Networks (possibly coming but unconfirmed)

I feel like this is to little to late, a limited selection of content, subscription based AND pay per view content limited to NTSC DVD quality. 
I'm interested in a Australian Streaming service, and this is right on the price I'm prepared to pay but the service is terrible, A Flat fee and the option to set stream quality, with at least 720p 5.1 surround would make this viable. 
I feel this product is in part a political ploy, Foxtel is very much influencing the Australian Government, and will blame the lack of adoption of this service on Online Piracy. all its missing for me to use it is GoT and 720p and the ditching of the Pay Per View.

What do you guys reckon? Australians weigh in if you would use this service, Americans what do you think of the currently offered Australian Streaming services in comparison to HULU, Netflix, HBO Go(comparable as Foxtel is Australia's only Cable Company)

Condensed Article
http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2014/03/foxtel-presto-everything-you-need-to-know/
Detailed Review
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/03/foxtel-presto-review-like-netflix-but-actually-meant-for-australia/

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

As an American, Damn those are pretty steep prices. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Waste of time and money, just like normal Foxtel imo

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

Waste of time and money, just like normal Foxtel imo

+1, really hoping we get Netflix soon...

480p fuck that shit, i try to shy away from 720 if i can its 1080 or nothing.

foxtel and there plans that appeal to no one at it again, thats why they are tanking

pfft $20 for something no where near as good as netflix screw that netflix is only like $8 and is way but god i hate this shit hole!

Needs to include some (if not all) foxtel channels like Fox8 and Fox sports. Also 720p would be nice.

I know our internet is shit and all but it'd still be cheaper to use hotspot shield and get netflix...

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

I wont be using it for all the same reasons as the OP

As an American, Damn those are pretty steep prices. 

Thats funny, we say the same thing about your expensive phone plans :P 

......(all in jest)