Is it okay to leave the plastic peel on the m.2 thermal pads?

Go to solution Solved by AndreiArgeanu,

I mean it doesn't really take much to remove the m.2 cover unless it's obstructed by something else. I'd suggest doing it since it could potentially help with the longevity of the SSD, depending on how fast the ssd is.

I just realized that I left the plastic peel on the thermal pads of the m.2 covers and was wondering if that could have negative consequences besides higher temperatures.

Is it worth opening up the PC and removing them or is it okay to leave them there?

It won't hurt anything but it makes no sense to not open it up and remove it. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

I mean it doesn't really take much to remove the m.2 cover unless it's obstructed by something else. I'd suggest doing it since it could potentially help with the longevity of the SSD, depending on how fast the ssd is.

Plastic is a thermal insulator

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, TechNoob09 said:

I just realized that I left the plastic peel on the thermal pads of the m.2 covers and was wondering if that could have negative consequences besides higher temperatures.

Is it worth opening up the PC and removing them or is it okay to leave them there?

If you have M.2 drives installed: yes, you should remove the plastic peel.

If you don't have M.2 drives installed: no reason to uninstall the peel, as it doesn't contact anything to cool down.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

13 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

I unfortunately would have to remove the graphics card to get to the m.2 slots and I honestly don’t want disassemble half the PC if the benefit is little to none. I was just worried that the plastic could melt. I am using two 970 Evo Plus SSD’s just for reference.

8 minutes ago, TechNoob09 said:

I unfortunately would have to remove the graphics card to get to the m.2 slots and I honestly don’t want disassemble half the PC if the benefit is little to none. I was just worried that the plastic could melt. I am using two 970 Evo Plus SSD’s just for reference.

Unless you have a custom loop with hardline tubing removing the GPU to get rid of the plastic on the thermal pads shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

While there have been debates whether a heatsink on top of m.2 drives is necessary, having it covered by an insulator and getting no airflow definitely makes it run hot and it will shorten the lifespan and impact the drive's performance.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

34 minutes ago, DJ46 said:

Unless you have a custom loop with hardline tubing removing the GPU to get rid of the plastic on the thermal pads shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

While there have been debates whether a heatsink on top of m.2 drives is necessary, having it covered by an insulator and getting no airflow definitely makes it run hot and it will shorten the lifespan and impact the drive's performance.

Thanks, I will probably do it tomorrow but even with the plastic my temps are always around 50°C.
Should I also remove the little Samsung sticker on the SSD’s themselves?