Dear LTT, wtf are these subtitles

• 4 months later...

I'm not sure the etiquette about necro'ing old threads, but recently the LTT videos have had quite a few mistakes, mostly surrounding tech words that the subtitlers obviously didn't know. 

In today's video (IBM Z Mainframe one) I counted 4 or 5 mistakes, all based around jargon Linus says (doohickey majig) or random tech words that the uninitiated wouldn't know about.

I wonder if there's a better way to subtitle these videos that pulls from a more tech savvy crowd?  In another thread Jono said that he handles the subtitling, but if he was doing it himself I'd assume everything would be correct, so I take that to mean that he's in charge of subcontracting those out to subtitling services. 

I found a funny example here, there's a few more in the video:  (I hope the data isn't a parody!)

image.png.036846da5f46e9043ba6566b3453d79e.png

Edited by schmintendo
adding context

Hey guys,

Jumping in here since it looks like this is a growing issue. Right now we contract the subtitling that uses an AI service that has a human checking, but as schmintendo highlighted, it seems like some of the jargon gets misrepresented. 

We'll take it to our team and see how we can get this fixed up.