Dear LTT, wtf are these subtitles

They can be funny.

I remember getting ones where someone said:

"And then the redstone will get put up the slablivator" (Mumbo Jumbo)

Youtube spat out:

"And then the death stone will get shot up the slap liquidator"

elephants

Haha i love how YouTube subtitles butcher "Hardware Unboxed" intros. Every time we get a different one like "Harbour Boxed", "Hammer on Box", etc. Love it :D Of course it's not so funny for people who rely on subtitles because of hearing issues.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

43 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

It makes no sense why youtube would remove a helpful feature, but thats youtube I guess.

Spammers were using it to advertise on popular videos and there were also people using it to put abusive comments on videos.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Are these really automated subtitles? The formatting and punctuation seems to suggest that it's something else, could be a third party hired to subtitle the videos

🙂

I just checked the video and selected English and English (auto-generated). The autogenerated said 1080p LOL. I have no clue who is working on these captions.

These aren't auto-generated. I've seen lots of these mistakes on LTT videos. It seems like they are being captioned by someone not that familiar with the tech or is simply not paying any attention to the context. Often times when they use a big word it will just say "unintelligible". Do they use a third party captioning service maybe?

If you want some funny auto made subtitles from youtube check out that crazy russian hacker guy, the subs are pretty damn funny and are like 80% wrong

Speed running subtitles. Have to pump those videos out ASAP.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

@LinusTech(or i dont know who should i @ , but since you are the boss, you are somewhat managing this too)

Spoiler

if Linus really is the wrong person to ping, admins please change my @ to any lmg staff that would be more related to this topic

this isn't the first time i see this kind of thing, and besides, how does most of the text pass but very low geek words like "1080p" (come to think of it i'm not even sure it's in the "geek" territory that's how common it is) don't?

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

Like said, they are auto-generated. LMG has burnt-in subtitles if they need to add such in English.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

20 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Like said, they are auto-generated.

Except they're not. There is no way auto generated subs are this accurate with punctuation, currency, model numbers, etc. Plus the fact that they are separated into lines rather than an endless scroll. These are quite obviously being transcribed by a human who is unfamiliar with certain tech terms. Since youtube no longer allows user-submitted subs my guess is LTT is using a third party transcriber and adding the subs themselves.

Untitled.jpg.f6af0fd4f6826603a864c7212cdd137d.jpg

8 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Except they're not. There is no way auto generated subs are this accurate with punctuation, currency, model numbers, etc. Plus the fact that they are separated into lines rather than an endless scroll. These are quite obviously being transcribed by a human who is unfamiliar with certain tech terms. Since youtube no longer allows user-submitted subs my guess is LTT is using a third party transcriber and adding the subs themselves.

You are therefore implying that they don't check quality?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

Like said, they are auto-generated. LMG has burnt-in subtitles if they need to add such in English.

auto generated? how are they much better than Youtube auto generated subtitles?

What program are they (LMG) using to generate the subtitles?

58 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

wtf is French (Canada)?

i mean, as a native french speaker, the only real difference with canada is the accent and the slang.

but otherwise it's 100% the same

• 4 months later...
On 11/7/2020 at 6:07 PM, LogicalDrm said:

they are autogenerated?

by whom?

Cause this is not the youtube auto-generator 

4 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

they are autogenerated?

by whom?

Cause this is not the youtube auto-generator 

I was under impression it is by Youtube. Because they are not burnt-in (as in they are not in videos for Floatplane). LMG has not disclosed that they would have subtitles for videos, outside of those going to Chinese markets, and translated by Dennis and some local company.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 11/6/2020 at 2:16 PM, airborne spoon said:

If you want some funny auto made subtitles from youtube check out that crazy russian hacker guy, the subs are pretty damn funny and are like 80% wrong

You ever seen him on tv. He is on Sunday Evening on 2-3 for my area(Yakima, WA)

• 6 months later...
On 11/6/2020 at 3:19 PM, Blademaster91 said:

Those are the subtitles from youtube, IIRC youtube removed the community captions so users can't volunteer to subtitle videos. It makes no sense why youtube would remove a helpful feature, but thats youtube I guess.

But these are THEIR subtitles, the ones from Linus and co.!!!  

On 11/7/2020 at 7:25 PM, Lord Szechenyi said:

wtf is French (Canada)?

i mean, as a native french speaker, the only real difference with canada is the accent and the slang.

but otherwise it's 100% the same

And french belgium?