Thoughts on my build so far?

js5836

Budget (including currency): 1800ish USD with monitor

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I will be using this PC for general productivity, but also for some games, I want this to last for a while, so that is why I am spending this much right now.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I have this existing parts list https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jshah121/saved/htLNcf, but I have some questions about this. For my case, I initially really liked the looks of the NZXT 510 Elite, but I found that people say that the Elite has poor thermals. Does the same apply to the 510i, which is the refresh of the NZXT 500 case? Also, if you want you are able to remove the stock fans that come on an AIO's radiator and install your own, right? Additionally, I was looking at th GIGABYTE G27QC 27" for my monitor, would that be a good fit for the specs that I currently have in mind?

2 minutes ago, Alireza said:

I should have probably clarified that the $1800 includes the monitor, sorry about that!

1440p high refresh rate is a good pairing with a 3070. Solid build overall. Only thing I'd consider changing is getting a faster ssd. Currently there's no benefit, but with direct storage fast nvme ssds might make a difference. You could easily get another down the line so it's no big deal to get it now, but still something to consider

I'd get an air cooler. For a little bit cheaper you can get a be quiet Dark Rock Pro 4. It will be more reliable over the long term if you're going to keep this build for a while, water coolers pumps can break down pretty easily, and it will be more effective at cooling than your water cooler.

5 minutes ago, Coolmaster said:

I'd get an air cooler... It will be more reliable over the long term... water coolers pumps can break down pretty easily

I don't get why people say this. I've had a variety of liquid coolers over time, and I've never seen a catastrophic failure. Out of 6 or 7 AIO's I've seen or had contact with, only 2 have failed, both in the 12 - 14 year mark. They failed due to the coolant evaporating through the tubes over time. (Completely dry the entire time.) Both have been refilled and are functioning to this day.

I've seen far more neglected air coolers that are plugged with dust. Of course, this affects radiators as well.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

21 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

I don't get why people say this. I've had a variety of liquid coolers over time, and I've never seen a catastrophic failure. Out of 6 or 7 AIO's I've seen or had contact with, only 2 have failed, both in the 12 - 14 year mark. They failed due to the coolant evaporating through the tubes over time. (Completely dry the entire time.) Both have been refilled and are functioning to this day.

I've seen far more neglected air coolers that are plugged with dust. Of course, this affects radiators as well.

Any other thoughts on this debate? For the price of my current AIO, I could get a Noctua NH-D15, which is a great cooler, and honestly, I might just do that, since my RAM has enough clearance, and I am a first time builder. Also, without the radiator from AIO, this frees up more space for my aRGB fans :).

1 hour ago, js5836 said:

Any other thoughts on this debate? For the price of my current AIO, I could get a Noctua NH-D15, which is a great cooler, and honestly, I might just do that, since my RAM has enough clearance, and I am a first time builder. Also, without the radiator from AIO, this frees up more space for my aRGB fans :).

Personally, I don't like big air coolers because they're a pain to install/remove when it's in the case. The NH-D15 is a great cooler though, and if you're the type to only clean it and not change CPU's, it'll do as well as any AIO.

That being said, I'd also never buy a AIO new, mostly because I'm cheap. All mine have been used units.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

6 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Personally, I don't like big air coolers because they're a pain to install/remove when it's in the case. The NH-D15 is a great cooler though, and if you're the type to only clean it and not change CPU's, it'll do as well as any AIO.

That being said, I'd also never buy a AIO new, mostly because I'm cheap. All mine have been used units.

Is there really a definitive answer on this, or is it up to personal preference? I am definetly not going to replace my CPU any time soon, I probably will not be doing anything requiring more than the 5600x.

1 minute ago, js5836 said:

Is there really a definitive answer on this, or is it up to personal preference?

It's 100% personal preference.

Both will accomplish the task of cooling the CPU. Both will be relatively quiet. Both can be expected to live 5+ years.

2 hours ago, js5836 said:

I have this existing parts list https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jshah121/saved/htLNcf,

Maybe switch to an AIO? In my experience with my pc, they are much quieter and they have better cooling potential than normal heatsinks. (they are around $100)

Edit: lol just saw the previous answers and you already discussed this

Ah, the duality of cooling.

16 minutes ago, AtomicXYZ said:

Maybe switch to an AIO? In my experience with my pc, they are much quieter and they have better cooling potential than normal heatsinks. (they are around $100)

Edit: lol just saw the previous answers and you already discussed this

They're both fine but in general air coolers perform better than AIOs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23vjWtUpItk

The advantage of an AIO would be the looks, and that it takes water longer to heat up, so if you're doing lots of quick bursts of activity it can absorb it better.

1 minute ago, Coolmaster said:

The advantage of an AIO would be the looks

very true lol

You probably wouldn't really need the $100 air cooler. Also for a 5600x I doubt you would need to be spending that much on a mobo. Other than that, solid list! 

geometry is hard
b550 > x570