Lens recommendations for EOS M50 and maybe a quick lesson about lenses

Code-E

Hi there,

So I have a Canon EOS M50 and the Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 STM lens, I'm really new to cameras that need lenses so I have no idea why this lens is SO zoomed in, at least compared to the kit lens that came with the M50. I'd like the blurred background that comes with the 50mm lens but a bit less zoomed in. I'm using the camera for video btw, the 50mm lens makes it so I can't use it in the recording space I have. It also seems to make the mic on the camera less effective because of the distance.

I've done some googling and can't figure out which of the aspects of the lenses, that I don't fully understand, is causing this zoom.

Thanks for any recommendations and any lessons.

1 hour ago, Code-E said:

Hi there,

So I have a Canon EOS M50 and the Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 STM lens, I'm really new to cameras that need lenses so I have no idea why this lens is SO zoomed in, at least compared to the kit lens that came with the M50. I'd like the blurred background that comes with the 50mm lens but a bit less zoomed in. I'm using the camera for video btw, the 50mm lens makes it so I can't use it in the recording space I have. It also seems to make the mic on the camera less effective because of the distance.

I've done some googling and can't figure out which of the aspects of the lenses, that I don't fully understand, is causing this zoom.

you should do research about focal length, crop factor and how they affect field of view

a issue with switching to shorter or longer focal length on a lens (wider or narrower angle of view) affects also distortion and perspective of how you see something through the lens

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

11 minutes ago, Code-E said:

Hi there,

https://photographylife.com/what-is-focal-length-in-photography

https://theslantedlens.com/2012/how-lens-focal-length-shapes-the-face-controls-perspective-a-lighting-tutorial/

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

The EOS M50 seems to use (at least from what I managed to find) an APS-C sensor, which has got a 1.6x crop factor.

Therefore, a 50mm lens on your M50 will act like an 80mm (50 x 1.6) would on a full frame camera.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

50mm will be zoomed in compared to the 15-45mm kit.

Why people use it? for making portrait photos, to use it you stand as close as possible to the object to create a blurred background with the lens wide open at 1.8.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

42 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

The EOS M50 seems to use (at least from what I managed to find) an APS-C sensor, which has got a 1.6x crop factor.

Therefore, a 50mm lens on your M50 will act like an 80mm (50 x 1.6) would on a full frame camera.

Oh so the sensor in the camera affects the zoom of the lens? I didn't realize that at all, tho I don't have a frame of reference for the difference of 80mm vs 50mm.

Is the F/1.8 tied to the 50mm(focal length?)

Because doesn't the F stop cause the blur behind the subject?

I guess I'm mostly wondering what lenses would keep the blur but be more usable in my space.

I found on B&H a lens that is 35mm and f/1.8 but says it's used for macro, so I'm not sure if it would work well for my use?

7 minutes ago, Code-E said:

Well in your case, since you're using a prime lens, you don't have to worry about the lens having to stop down on its own. This is generally the case on cheaper (though it's not exclusive to cheap ones) zoom lenses.

For instance, take Canon's EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM. At 55mm, wide open it'll shoot at f/4. Zoom it in to 250mm however, and it'll stop itself down to f/5.6.

11 minutes ago, Code-E said:

The faster a lens (lower f-number), the shallower the depth of field.

17 minutes ago, Code-E said:

I found on B&H a lens that is 35mm and f/1.8 but says it's used for macro, so I'm not sure if it would work well for my use?

Depends on what your use is. Macro lenses don't necessarily have to be used just for macro shooting - they tend to make solid portrait lenses too, for example.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

36 minutes ago, Code-E said:

Oh so the sensor in the camera affects the zoom of the lens? I didn't realize that at all, tho I don't have a frame of reference for the difference of 80mm vs 50mm.

I guess I'm mostly wondering what lenses would keep the blur but be more usable in my space.

sensor does not affect zoom of the lens it affects angle of view and depth of field

aperture size with related to focal length and focusing distance affects blur behind subjket

no idea what your space is

what's the lens on b and h?

take a course on basics of photography, you look like you need it

1 hour ago, Code-E said:

This is an approximation of the "zooming in" that you'll see using an APSC camera over a "full frame" camera with a full-frame lens (what is outside the black circle is outside of the field of view of the lens):

image.thumb.png.a425b4627888b68f9675c19178cb0499.png

The black circle is the image circle projected by the lens into the camera body (what is outside of the circle is outside of the field of view of the lens). The sensor only gets the middle of the image circle projected onto it. The blue rectangle is about what a full-frame sensor would show as the image, the red rectangle is the equivalent of a cropped (or "APSC") sensor like in the M50. To get the same image on the red sensor as with the blue one, you would need to either use a wider-angle lens or walk backwards to get the same framing.

This also affects the depth of the focal plane (how much of the image is in focus). To get the same depth of focus on an APSC body you either need to use a wider aperture lens or change the distance between the camera and the object (the closer you get the thinner the focal plane gets).

background image accreditation: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Parque_Eagle_River,_Anchorage,_Alaska,_Estados_Unidos,_2017-09-01,_DD_02.jpg

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

1 hour ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

sensor does not affect zoom of the lens it affects angle of view and depth of field

aperture size with related to focal length and focusing distance affects blur behind subjket

no idea what your space is

what's the lens on b and h?

take a course on basics of photography, you look like you need it

I definitely need a photography/videography class of some kind lol this is more complicated than I originally thought

This is the lens I was talking about. I just looked for the first lens that was lower in focal length but also had F/1.8

I'm definitely understanding that what I was calling zoom seems to be the lenses field of view, which is affected by the crop of the sensor compared to a larger sensor.

So 50mm is fairly narrow field of view and a 20mm would be quite a bit wider?

The space I have is about 12 feet (like 3.5 meters), it's just my room. When I use the 50mm lens I have to have it on the opposite wall and it's really just my head and some of my shoulders

Edit: I'm also understanding that because of my particular sensor I have to add on the crop to know what a lens would be for me. 

Thanks for all the answers btw, I definitely would have taken a while to get that particular thing

54 minutes ago, Code-E said:

I definitely need a photography/videography class of some kind lol this is more complicated than I originally thought

This is the lens I was talking about. I just looked for the first lens that was lower in focal length but also had F/1.8

I'm definitely understanding that what I was calling zoom seems to be the lenses field of view, which is affected by the crop of the sensor compared to a larger sensor.

The space I have is about 12 feet (like 3.5 meters), it's just my room. When I use the 50mm lens I have to have it on the opposite wall and it's really just my head and some of my shoulders

Edit: I'm also understanding that because of my particular sensor I have to add on the crop to know what a lens would be for me. 

Thanks for all the answers btw, I definitely would have taken a while to get that particular thing

actually its not complicated at lot of it is common sense and a basic understanding of physics

i learned photography in grade school and taught myself most of it

1 hour ago, Code-E said:

A human's natural field of view is approximately the same as the FoV from a 50mm lens on a full-frame camera (or a ~35mm lens on an APSC sensor).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I'd grab the canon 22mm F2 lens its going to be a lot wider. (35mm FF)

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs