Is this normal? CPU Ghz and temps i79700k

1. I recently changed my motherboard from a Gigabyte B360 HD3 to a Asus Rog Strix Z390-E, I had a i79700k in my old board and moved it to my new one. On start up I noticed that my CPU would randomly ramp up to 4.9ghz and back to say 0.8ghz or 1.2ghz rather erratically under low cpu usage % while idling, Is this normal?

Capture.PNG.0af3deede9e3c50f91cb6b83f87c9df9.PNGCapture2.PNG.2215fdc83c133da17c1183bf93201eec.PNG 

The images are it sat idling with CPU cooler fans at 100% is this normal?

2. My old board didn't have Intel boost technology 2.0 on it so my CPU would not boost to 4.9ghz or anywhere near due to my old board restrictions and would sit at around 70c/80c usually with my Coolermaster Hyper TX3 Evo . Now my new board does have Intel Boost tech 2.0 and so when playing games like GTA it will boost to 4.9ghz and my cpu temp will also shoot right up to 100c when using the same cooler as before is this normal to see such a high temp on boost and should i change to a better cooler like the NZXT Kraken M22 aio?

I think I can solve the cooling issue with a new cooler but I am not too sure about the erratic up and down of my CPU speeds at idle. 

PC specs;

i79700k

Coolermaster Hyper TX3 Evo 

Asus Rog Strix Z390-E motherboard

32GB corsair vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz

Gigabyte RTX2070 Windforce

Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SSD 1TB

750W PSU

Its normal for the boost to act like that but if you're getting 100*C its time to upgrade your cooling as well

Is it normal for it to boost even at idle? nothings running and it will go up to 4.9 and back down almost immediately and constantly? 

15 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Its normal for the boost to act like that but if you're getting 100*C its time to upgrade your cooling as well

Yes. There is always something running, even if it's only for a fraction of a second.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, HyperLynx said:

Is it normal for it to boost even at idle? nothings running and it will go up to 4.9 and back down almost immediately and constantly? 

yes, just because you're not doing anything doesent mean there are not some random processes runing in the background in Windows

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

yes, just because you're not doing anything doesent mean there are not some random processes runing in the background in Windows

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Yes. There is always something running, even if it's only for a fraction of a second.

Ok, you guys definitely helped out there. Thanks!

Could you recommend any good coolers?

I was thinking of the NZXT Kraken M22 120mm AIO as a 2 rad AIO doesn't fit in my case as my ram is quite tall and for the same reason a large air cooler probably wont fit either.  

Just now, HyperLynx said:

Ok, you guys definitely helped out there. Thanks!

Could you recommend any good coolers?

I was thinking of the NZXT Kraken M22 120mm AIO as a 2 rad AIO doesn't fit in my case as my ram is quite tall and for the same reason a large air cooler probably wont fit either.  

dont bother with 120mm AIOs, they are a waste of money, just grab any decent air cooler you can fit in

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

dont bother with 120mm AIOs, they are a waste of money, just grab any decent air cooler you can fit in

Ok cheers mate

19 hours ago, WereCat said:

I decided to go with the Be quiet Dark Rock 4, will this be suitable?

10 minutes ago, HyperLynx said:

I decided to go with the Be quiet Dark Rock 4, will this be suitable?

Yes its a great cooler. Check your case for clearance

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price.