I want to learn programming, Where do I start?

Hey guys, for a while now I've wanted to be a programmer and why not start when I'm a teenager and young!  I've recently been learning the terminal and I've been loving it.  I really want to get into programming, so where is a good place to start and whats the best way to do things.   The Title pretty much says it all, thanks in advance :)

Have any particular type of programming you want to get into? You can start off with something basic like event driven programming in something like Construct 2. 

Hit the books dude, sorry, I know you wanna watch youtube vids and learn it without any hard work (trust me, I've tried) but that's not gonna happen. 

https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonBooks

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Well, some of you asked me to be more specific.  I want to make programs, and or play around and hack things, like messing with terminals and code and stuff.

Hit the books dude, sorry, I know you wanna watch youtube vids and learn it without any hard work (trust me, I've tried) but that's not gonna happen. 

https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonBooks

Thanks, I'll read that.  Though I have dyslexia, so I cant really read.  Are there any audiobooks you know of?

Thanks, I'll read that.  Though I have dyslexia, so I cant really read.  Are there any audiobooks you know of?

Youtube has some good tuts on Python, make sure you understand the concepts behind programming, how and why things work. The theory is just as important as the code.

@bradscoolio I like you location, clever haha.

Codeacademy is a great place for learning to code in Javascript/html5

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Codeacademy is a great place for learning to code in Javascript/html5

I don't think he wants to do web based stuff.

I don't think he wants to do web based stuff.

he just said he wanted to learn coding, not which form of coding ;)

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Have any particular type of programming you want to get into? You can start off with something basic like event driven programming in something like Construct 2. 

thats awesome, but I need something compatible with Linux. :(

Sorry to hear that bro :/ Something interactive might be more your thing. Check out:

http://www.learnpython.org/

http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/python

http://thenewboston.org/list.php?cat=36

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/computer-science-subject/computer-science

May also bee a good idea to use a book as the basis of what you need to know, but then google tuts on each topic. Just in case these sources don't give you enough info to jump into more complex things.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Another thing to add. My bro's just recently started at uni doing software engineering, and the program he's currently learning is called Scribble. It's used just as a tool to build the foundation of understanding how programs are built and the logic behind building your own. I highly recommend you check it out:

http://monofonik.github.io/scribble/

Drag 'n' Drop programming pretty much :)

Another thing to add. My bro's just recently started at uni doing software engineering, and the program he's currently learning is called Scribble. It's used just as a tool to build the foundation of understanding how programs are built and the logic behind building your own. I highly recommend you check it out:

haha I'm doing Software Engineering at uni, only my uni had us building basic python programs in the very first week, none of this drag and drop business.

haha I'm doing Software Engineering at uni, only my uni had us building basic python programs in the very first week, none of this drag and drop business.

As they should, I was shocked to see the use of GUI to build a program. Though I suppose they wanna keep shock factor to a minimum as around 70% of students bail to do the course online only :/ Still, I checked it out and it seems very n00b friendly :)

As they should, I was shocked to see the use of GUI to build a program. Though I suppose they wanna keep shock factor to a minimum as around 70% of students bail to do the course online only :/ Still, I checked it out and it seems very n00b friendly :)

Yeah, my uni isn't exactly noob friendly, the fail rate for plebs (first year students) is very high.

I have to say the same. When I started last year we dove straight into Object oriented programming with Java. 

Thanks for all your help. I really like Construct 2, however I want to do it on my desktop and my desktop runs linux.  Do you guys know of any applications like that for linux? 

If you want to get starting in programming properly, on linux you have pretty much every possible option.

I'd always suggest Python as a good place to start as it's high level enough to start making things right away, while allowing you to grasp some of the concepts useful in all other languages.

You might also want to look at some functional programming which is quite different from the typical imperative programming model; Haskell, Common Lisp (CLISP on linux) are good options.