Just got second Monitor, Whites look different between new Monitor and Primary

C0stanza

Hey everyone. I recent got a second monitor, an ASUS ProArt PA-8QV, to use as a productivity monitor while I continue to use my LG 27gl83a-b as for gaming. Largely it looks great but it seems the when displaying white window (especially noticeable when a white window is split between both displays) the window appears almost slightly yellow on the Asus while it seems crisp and white on the LG.

Also sometimes, if I purposely look at the Asus for a long period of time, the Whites on the LG look a little bit purple while the Asus appears to be displaying cleaner (but still SLIGHTLYYYY yellowed) whites.

Is this just expected behavior when using two different panels? It doesn't bother me that much since the Asus actually looks pretty great in all other cases (nothing else has the yellow tint). Are the minor differences between how both panels display whites playing tricks on my eyes?

Don't know if it matters but the LG is going into my Rx 5700 using a DP 1.4 cable while the Asus is connected with an HDMI cable.

it will be worth going though the monitors settings and fiddling around with those to see if maybe its on a warmer setting than your other display.

If the two differences are too distracting one option is to try and adjust them both so that they are the same with each other so that it is less noticeable 

17 minutes ago, endyc said:

Also sometimes, if I purposely look at the Asus for a long period of time, the Whites on the LG look a little bit purple while the Asus appears to be displaying cleaner (but still SLIGHTLYYYY yellowed) whites.

That is normal. It's the same as looking at something under cold white artificial light vs warm white artificial light, vs. yellow artificial light...

You adjust to the color warmth of the surface you are looking at, and your  brain works out the colors from there. It's the same if you use just one monitor under one image setting for a while, then change to a different setting - the new setting will also look yellowish or blueish at first, until you get used to it (provided it's not too extreme )

Is this just expected behavior when using two different panels?

It is to be expected between different panels, different calibrations of the same panel, and different settings for the same panel and calibration. All monitor have it in them to display a certain array of versions of the same image, tuneable to your liking (some more, some less).

It doesn't bother me that much since the Asus actually looks pretty great

It is a freaking gorgeous monitor, that's for certain :P 

Don't know if it matters but the LG is going into my Rx 5700 using a DP 1.4 cable while the Asus is connected with an HDMI cable.

It matters at the margin, to the extent that it limits the pixel format and image properties you can set. Since both are 1440p, and probably have HDMI 2.0 like the card, it should be possible to have all that set equally, although the drivers may be defaulting to different settings when connecting via HDMI vs DP. You can check that in the display section of Radeon Settngs. Still, I'm sure something this noticeable is mainly due to different image settings in each monitor.

Thanks for the quick answers @zak rooley @SpaceGhostC2C ! I'll fiddle around with the settings to try to bring them closer in line with each other. The Asus is likely just warmer than the LG!

56 minutes ago, endyc said:

Thanks for the quick answers @zak rooley @SpaceGhostC2C ! I'll fiddle around with the settings to try to bring them closer in line with each other. The Asus is likely just warmer than the LG!

Normal.

Factory calibration is different even between displays of the same model. Displays of different model, and manufacturer can be even more different.

The only real way to have them be the same is to calibrate them using a colorimeter like a X-rite i1 Display Pro.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

It's also worth remembering that displays, like everything else that use plastic components, yellow over time. The only way to combat it is to calibrate your display every now and again.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20