Got this older Windows Xp

GroundbreakingCrew9
Go to solution Solved by emosun,

Yes but with a machine that old ( around 15 + years) there would be no reason to put something like windows 7 on it. Windows xp is going to be the best fit for a retro machine like that

Have a AMD Athlon 64 CPU, 2 gb or ram. like 128gb of memory. Can take pictures of the gigabyte motherboard, and msi gpu (and a Ethernet adapter if needed). But I'm asking is there a simple way of converting windows xp, to maybe windows 8.1 or even a 32bit windows 10.

Yes but with a machine that old ( around 15 + years) there would be no reason to put something like windows 7 on it. Windows xp is going to be the best fit for a retro machine like that

7 minutes ago, GroundbreakingCrew9 said:

2 gb or ram

Ha! Win 10 32 "runs" on 4gb. It still is cluncky.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

15 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Ha! Win 10 32 "runs" on 4gb. It still is cluncky.

god windows 10 is a dumpster fire

1 minute ago, emosun said:

god windows 10 is a dumpster fire

If 10 is a dumpster fire, then 8 must be a f*cking necular bomb explostion.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

If 10 is a dumpster fire, then 8 must be a f*cking necular bomb explostion.

yep

The answer is no. There's no direct upgrade path from WinXP to Win7 or newer. You would need to buy upgrade keys to both Vista and 7 (or maybe just 7) and then use Win7 key to get Win10.

Overall the system is so old, that best thing is to keep it offline and use it as retro machine (for DOS games and software for example). Or if you want to breath some life into it, install Linux on it. We had that kind of machine at my moms, but ended taking it to recycling because she had very little need for it (only for converting C-casette tapes to digital).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

The answer is no. There's no direct upgrade path from WinXP to Win7 or newer. You would need to buy upgrade keys to both Vista and 7 (or maybe just 7) and then use Win7 key to get Win10.

Overall the system is so old, that best thing is to keep it offline and use it as retro machine (for DOS games and software for example). Or if you want to breath some life into it, install Linux on it. We had that kind of machine at my moms, but ended taking it to recycling because she had very little need for it (only for converting C-casette tapes to digital).

That's whats it's being used for right now. Was just trying to upgrade it the other day, and was running into dead ends. But Linux is probably going to be the route I go. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I'm aware that Athlon X2 64 processors can run modern day operating systems but single core Athlon 64, I'm not sure.