5G is coming to town baby!

KenSoftTH

Just walking in downtown Bangkok, Thailand. Pull the phone up and run speedtest and got this... 

Since unlimited data unlimited speed plan start at $30 a month here, probably cancel my fiber soon...

Screenshot_20201101-171126_Speedtest.thumb.jpg.cd806744fe2a2e09fdd7d05487596e32.jpg

image.thumb.png.3b27f9c0e186845c25d7df6b08f63480.png

2 minutes ago, Benji said:

Wait until more people use it and watch your speed go to shit. The fiber will provide a stable, continuous performance because, duh, fiber. But after all, you'll have to decide that.

That isn't mmWave, right?

It wasn't, just regular n41 2500 MHz 5G. Probably good enough for day-to-day non critical use, I think.

Just now, Benji said:

What I would also watch out for is your ToS. Because my provider (Telekom Deutschland) has one unlimited contract for 90€/month (yes, others either have shit reception or are even more expensive) but they explicitly state on their ToS that you obviously signed in the contract that you're not supposed to use it as a home connection. And they could probably tell by your mobile connection suddenly accessing services like Windows Update or multiple connections of one app in a single household. So I'd be careful with that.

They just ban Bittorrent here. The ISP even sell the 5G Home router themselves lmao...

4 minutes ago, Benji said:

So does mine (besides banning torrenting services, IIRC my provider blocks nothing), but these are actually different contracts than the mobile ones.

Yea, I guess there are a lot of connection going on during bittorrent session. Besides that, there's no actual downside if people gonna use it for netflix all day. They even sell 80GB prepaid plan for $3 a month and you can also get 10 Mbps no data cap plan for $4 a month, so I'd guess they have no trouble handle all those data. All they put in ToS was no torrent and no excessive use. So, I'd guess it's safe then...

We got a 5G tower here not too long ago! It's great.

They/Them

rgb go woosh woosh fps higher

Ryzen 5 3600X  | Asus ROG Strix B550-E | Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 Twin Edge | 32G DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro | Corsair RM750x | Corsair 4000D Airflow

Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red | Ducky Mecha Mini | Glorious Model D-

Nintendo Switch | Xbox One

14 hours ago, Benji said:

Wait until more people use it and watch your speed go to shit. The fiber will provide a stable, continuous performance because, duh, fiber. But after all, you'll have to decide that.

That isn't mmWave, right?

5G that uses mid band is less likely to be congested than LTE networks that use sub 1GHz band. mid band 5G is like the sweet spot of both coverage and speeds. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, Benji said:

What is the use of SUCH A high frequency that you need sight to the 5G station and even glass cuts off the connection?

Dense urban areas, populated sport stadiums, and as a wired internet replacement can 5G mm wave be useful. From what I’ve read, AT&T and Verizon decided to deploy mm wave 5G first, which is the opposite of T-Mobile/Sprint strategy. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 hours ago, Benji said:

The thing is, in mobile applications high bandwidth is usually useless. The latency on the other hand is much better on LTE sub -1GHz bands compared to 3G and the bandwidth is totally sufficient for what I do on mobile. But in general I have to agree. The middle is usually the best compromise between bandwidth and range while mmWave is rather a useless marketing tool. What is the use of SUCH A high frequency that you need sight to the 5G station and even glass cuts off the connection? That is completely useless, unless you want to make new speed records. These are basically a waste of the energy they use. But the speed even on mid-band should be quite satisfying still as we see here.

Well, there are two providers with 2600 MHz license here. One has 90MHz and another one has 100MHz, so speed is insane even on mid-band. I saw someone got 1.4 Gbps before.

It is all about where you live and I live in the middle of the woods. 

Five G don't mean anything to me because I got zero G where I live. ☹️

I wish I had a cell tower next to my house.

Maybe even if they sold a little mini tower I could put it on my roof. 😄

5 minutes ago, Intergalacticbits said:

It is all about where you live and I live in the middle of the woods. 

Five G don't mean anything to me because I got zero G where I live. ☹️

I wish I had a cell tower next to my house.

Maybe even if they sold a little mini tower I could put it on my roof. 😄

That WiFi calling life is fun though. 8 mile drive to phone reception is what I have now.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?