Steam download fluctuating with disk usage

Kilos1983

Steam sometimes makes my download fluctuate, and only steam. Origin, Battle.net, Epic, etc don't have this issue. Tested my internet and hard drive, no issues there either. Any fixes?

GPU: RTX 2060 Super

Storage: 256gb SATA ssd, 2tb HDD 7200 RPM

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X

RAM: 16gb 3200mhz

Motherboard: B450

image.thumb.png.18718a19e9b1f767187df78759a320c7.png

2 minutes ago, Kilos1983 said:

Steam sometimes makes my download fluctuate, and only steam. Origin, Battle.net, Epic, etc don't have this issue. Tested my internet and hard drive, no issues there either. Any fixes?

Mate, it's against forum rules to make multiple threads about the same thing. Also, the issue could be your ISP, it could be Valve's servers, it could be something in-between your ISP and Valve's servers -- there are a ton of options that it could be, and you have zero control over any of those things. If you got better speeds before and nothing on your end has changed, you'll just have to wait for the situation to resolve itself, since it's very much likely to not be on your end.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Yeah likely just a issue with the steam server you are connecting too. If it lasts many days contact steam support and get them to help, they would have more information on this and are very helpful. Generally only takes 1 business day to get a response.

This is extremely common for me, especially if you are downloading to an older HDD like I have to right now. 

You have absolutely no control on it and there is nothing that you can directly do to fix any of this. It is just how the steam servers and client operate. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

4 hours ago, Nathanpete said:

This is extremely common for me, especially if you are downloading to an older HDD like I have to right now. 

You have absolutely no control on it and there is nothing that you can directly do to fix any of this. It is just how the steam servers and client operate. 

Steam downloads the files compressed. My guess is that on faster drives it can uncompress the files while also downloading. On slower drives it stops the download so the uncompressing can keep up. After a specific threshold it resumes the downloads.