Apple gets weird and gives Roku exclusive integration with iOS and Mac

Roswell
16 hours ago, Commodus said:

I don't know what it would get out of that other than eventually knocking out a competitor. It's not going to keep the Roku hardware platform going, and I wouldn't count on Apple keeping up smart TV partnerships.

There has long been talk/speculation of Apple putting out an actual Apple TV, screen and all with TVOS in there...so that could be a way to get in there...BUT Apple could also just call up LG (who makes the iMac pannels, iirc?) and say "Let's make a TV" without the need for buyout games. (Apple also doesn't generally buy out a competitor just because they're a competitor, but to take on the tech and information and build from that....and I just don't think Roku has any of that to be on intererest.  I think your speculation that it's just to put taste samples of Apple Tech in front of more people is right on.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

For what little it may be worth to the non-Apple users here - it works fairly well.  I updated my Roku this weekend, and was presented with a new setting for AirPlay.  My Macbook Pro could see it via screen mirroring/expanding, so I chucked a YouTube video over to it.  The video played flawlessly, audio and all.

The only annoying thing to keep in mind is, at least at this point: AirPlay is still limited to an amateur-hour 1080p.  And that's across the board, as far as I know.  I have no idea if they're ever going to try to allow higher resolutions.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

7 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

There has long been talk/speculation of Apple putting out an actual Apple TV, screen and all with TVOS in there...so that could be a way to get in there...BUT Apple could also just call up LG (who makes the iMac pannels, iirc?) and say "Let's make a TV" without the need for buyout games. (Apple also doesn't generally buy out a competitor just because they're a competitor, but to take on the tech and information and build from that....and I just don't think Roku has any of that to be on intererest.  I think your speculation that it's just to put taste samples of Apple Tech in front of more people is right on.

I don't think Apple is really interested in TVs, and some of that was drummed up hype from one analyst, Gene Munster (the running joke was that you'd hear Munster ask a TV question on every Apple financial call).

It's just not a great market to be in if you aren't already there. Commoditization makes it very hard to stand out and charge a premium — that's why TV makers push features that either get no traction or are premature, like 3D and 8K. Apple's only real play, at least without a breakthrough, is that you'd get the Apple TV box's interface built-in. Maybe you'd get a slightly more accurate picture and a richer sound from the built-in speakers.

You're also right that Apple doesn't acquire companies simply to consolidate power — not even Beats. If you see Apple tech integrated directly in TVs at all, it might be through partnerships that lead to special models. And that might be difficult, since brands like LG and Samsung are often determined to tout their own platforms.