Best advice to increase FPS on a 32:9 ultrawide.

Hey everyone,

I recently as of yesterday received a Odyssey g9 ultrawide. I'm lucky enough not to have many issues with it, but I was surprised to find that when running the newest games my FPS has dropped from anywhere in the lower to mid 100s to not even consistently running at 60 FPS. This is odd because I have extremely powerful PC and this isn't even 4K resolution. I'm wondering if it's the settings I have enabled or not. I've been running Ray tracing with dlss and that seems to help somewhat. The weirder thing is that I seem to not gain much performance at all when turning off Ray tracing. I've used NZXT cam software to check performance and my CPU doesn't seem to be dropping under five gigahertz nor does its temperature seem to spike much over 60. My RTX 3080 runs between anywhere from 70 to 78° celsius. if anyone here has an ultrawide experience similar issues can you tell me if it's the settings I'm running at? or are there certain settings I can disable the game performance and not lose much in the way of image quality. Thank you for your time.

RTX 3080

I7 9700k clocked at 5 GHz

16 GB g skill ddr4 ram 3200 MHz

Motherboard is a gigabyte aorus z390

2 TB Micron SATA SSD

Seasonic 850 w gold power supply

Cooler Master h500m case

CPU cooler is a dark Rock pro 4 by be quiet.

4K is 8,294,400 pixels (going off 3840x2160), that Ultrawide is 7,372,800 pixels, so actually much closer to 4K than it is to lower resolutions. 

What games are you getting the drops in? Settings and their effect on visuals vary from game to game. At higher resolutions you can usually lower AA a bit, changing lighting/shadows/ambient occlusion to medium or high instead of ultra can every slightly nerf the visuals (again depends on the game, but often not very noticeable when playing) and can noticeably improve performance. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Right now I'm playing red Dead redemption 2 and watch dogs legion. I'll try lowering the AA on it and see if that has a drastic effect or not. I'll make some slight nerfs to see if I can get it somewhere in the 80 to 90 range. I love the monitor I'm just wondering now if it would have been better to go with a 4K LG TV for the same price. An example being I can still hit 200 frames a second in COD. So even though I've only had it a day I don't have super thorough testing samples. I was just surprised that since I upgraded from a RTX 2080 that I'm barely seeing a performance gain. I'll fiddle around with it and update this topic with results.

Most games will have dips and drops as what's rendered on the screen intensifies.
As for how to get more FPS, you really have to let us know what settings you're using when you play.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

You can use the new DLSS 2.0 on the RTX 3000 card you managed to miraculously snag (or hopefully not get swindled on). It's no longer a smeary mess like the old DLSS, and can yield a great image and healthy FPS bump in higher res gaming. 

The new cards have a high board power, which translates to more heat than previous gens. I assume it's an FE? The FE cooler is good and innovative, but not the best performing 3080 in the GN noise-normalized testing. They also noticed the FE's stock fan curve could stand to be a bit more aggressive. If that tempered glass panel on the front of your h500m comes off, it might give some extra airflow straight across the GPU. You can also run your case fans a bit higher. 

20 minutes ago, Falseprophet said:

Right now I'm playing red Dead redemption 2 and watch dogs legion. I'll try lowering the AA on it and see if that has a drastic effect or not. I'll make some slight nerfs to see if I can get it somewhere in the 80 to 90 range. I love the monitor I'm just wondering now if it would have been better to go with a 4K LG TV for the same price. An example being I can still hit 200 frames a second in COD. So even though I've only had it a day I don't have super thorough testing samples. I was just surprised that since I upgraded from a RTX 2080 that I'm barely seeing a performance gain. I'll fiddle around with it and update this topic with results.

RDR2 is damn hard to run if it's on max settings, but a 3080 should keep it around 60 even at that resolution. Watch Dogs I'm not familiar with, that game just dropped. Defo worth mucking about with settings to see what fps you can gain without making the game look unattractive. 

4K still sports 921,600 more pixels (more if it's full 4096x2160), so fps wouldn't be better. 

Did you upgrade from a 2080 while with the same monitor, or did you change monitors around the same time as well? 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Hey Zando and thermal,

I just had the dumb luck of finding an 3080 in stock on Nvidias website while the bots were ravaging EVGAs website when the FTW3 dropped. I did not upgrade both at the same time, and had the 3080 for about a month before. RDR2 runs about 60-65 FPS at ultra with some dips into the 50s with very minimal testing. Right now RDR2 is being unruly and crashing whenever I try to change the settings with out using GeForce experience. As for WD: Legion I haven't fiddled with it too much but it seems using DLSS with ultra performance mode on makes the game run at 70-75 FPS on ultra. I think my logical flaw was thinking the performance hit wouldn't be as great considering it was as many pixels as 4k and I could run 2k flawlessly before this. This answers my question as to why there are no 4k ultrawide right now. No GPU could run it lol.

1 minute ago, Falseprophet said:

Hey Zando and thermal,

I just had the dumb luck of finding an 3080 in stock on Nvidias website while the bots were ravaging EVGAs website when the FTW3 dropped. I did not upgrade both at the same time, and had the 3080 for about a month before. RDR2 runs about 60-65 FPS at ultra with some dips into the 50s with very minimal testing. Right now RDR2 is being unruly and crashing whenever I try to change the settings with out using GeForce experience. As for WD: Legion I haven't fiddled with it too much but it seems using DLSS with ultra performance mode on makes the game run at 70-75 FPS on ultra. I think my logical flaw was thinking the performance hit wouldn't be as great considering it was as many pixels as 4k and I could run 2k flawlessly before this. This answers my question as to why there are no 4k ultrawide right now. No GPU could run it lol.

Yeahhh it's a massive pixel bump over 1440p (I assume that's what you meant by 2K). 2560x1440 is 3,686,400 pixels, funnily enough that UW is exactly double that. 

Did you try DDUing and fresh installing drivers when you first swapped cards? I'd recommend trying that to rule out any driver funkiness. 

Main PC 

DDU? I am not familiar with the term sorry. When I installed the 3080 I just used Geforce to update to the latest drivers should I have gone to device manager and just uninstalled the GPU drivers and then reinstalled them?