Looking for cheap Media PC

Hello,

I'm looking for a media PC that supports 4K UHD out and allows me to decode 4K video files from my NAS, and decode the stream from steam in home streaming.

Size isn't a factor, cost is.

Recently moved into a larger space and my TV is no longer right next to my PC.

I'm guessing machines like this have gotten quite affordable, but I'm very much out of the loop.

Any suggestions, and maybe things I should look out for? 

Thank you

so how much is you budget?

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

17 minutes ago, Aetohatir said:

Hello,

I'm looking for a media PC that supports 4K UHD out and allows me to decode 4K video files from my NAS, and decode the stream from steam in home streaming.

Size isn't a factor, cost is.

Recently moved into a larger space and my TV is no longer right next to my PC.

I'm guessing machines like this have gotten quite affordable, but I'm very much out of the loop.

Any suggestions, and maybe things I should look out for? 

Thank you

A random i5 dell with a cheap used gpu that can output 4k or a athlon 3000g computer.

Depend on your budget, you could go for something like an athlon 3000g, or ryzen 3 3200G if budget allows and if you want to go new. Or you can pick up something like an optiplex 7010 with a cpu like the i5-3470 or a dell optiplex 990 with an i7 2600 for around 100$ and throw in a low power gpu like a 750ti or a gt 1030.

All of your suggestions would definitely work, however I thought of some think pre-built. Also, isn't what you're suggesting overkill? 

2 minutes ago, Aetohatir said:

All of your suggestions would definitely work, however I thought of some think pre-built. Also, isn't what you're suggesting overkill? 

we are talking 4k so no it isnt overkill

a "none overkill" prebuilt is a raspberry pi 4 and that is very weak to do so

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Wouldn't an nvidia shield TV Pro work just fine? 

I find those for around 200€ here in Germany.

I can't build a computer for that price. At least not with the recommended parts. 

That's why you look for used machines, I got 2 4th gen i5s HP business SFFs for free that do that job admirably.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

If you're looking to also stream 4k HDR Netflix / Amazon prime, you will want to consider going 7th gen or newer intel with iGPU or look at an GPU that supports PlayReady 3.0 DRM. I found out the hard way that Vega gpus do not have this capability.